OT: Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
That roster isn't good enough to make the playoffs in the West. Or maybe you make it as 8th seed and get stomped by the 1st seed. Ladd is no first line player in this game. Stempniak should be playing 4th line, Little is a lot better as RW with someone who dishes him the puck. Lowry should be a 4th line/bench player, same with O'Dell. Morrissey (from my game experience) isn't ready to play 2nd line minutes over at least the first two years.

Another advice I can give: Try to match the speed of your wingers you dress on one line. Also, go into Personal Strategies/Tactics (or whatever it was called) and play with the individual Shoot/Pass-settings. I always tried to match playmakers (Pass) with shooters (shoot) which worked pretty good.

Do you use custom lines or the recommended ones?

That was the third season into the game, first time Morrisey was in the NHL. Is that still rushing him?

How long should I wait to get prospects into the NHL (i.e. Ehlers in that third year I still had in the AHL)?

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Do you use custom lines or the recommended ones?

That was the third season into the game, first time Morrisey was in the NHL. Is that still rushing him?

How long should I wait to get prospects into the NHL (i.e. Ehlers in that third year I still had in the AHL)?

I had both Morrissey and Ehlers in the show in yr 2 and had productive yet unspectacular rookie seasons. It's early in yr 3 and they both have 10 pts in 21 games so I'm assuming they're both ready for yr 3.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Third season? Well looks like you haven't done that much with your roster :laugh:

I started Ehlers in the second season, first as 2nd-3rd liner and as a go-to guy starting the third season.

I always build my own lines up individual tactics for those lines.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
After 4 seasons and numerous losses I had to let Connor Hellebuyck walk. After an entire next season, he's still an unsigned free agent and nobody will touch him with a 10 ft hockey stick.

Glad this is just a simulation.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
After 4 seasons and numerous losses I had to let Connor Hellebuyck walk. After an entire next season, he's still an unsigned free agent and nobody will touch him with a 10 ft hockey stick.

Glad this is just a simulation.

Me too. I've tried to develop him 3 different ways and he always stinks. I'm in 2017 on one save and he is an AHL all star. Yet he sucks in the NHL. I gave him 40 games splitting between him and Tristan Jarry and he couldn't muster much more than an .870. He was .911 during the playoffs one year because other goalies were injured, but that's it. He sucked again the next year so I put him on waivers to the AHL and left him there.

Eventually he ends up in the DEL in my games. :(

Skarp

May 24, 2015
I'll post some screenshots when I get home but I've had some pretty solid successes (back to back Finals appearances) with the Jets. Currently in 21/22

Ehlers, Petan and Holland are all 80+ points players.

Still riding Hutch who has been outstanding, but he's only got a few years left which worries me.

Oh yeah, my first season Tampa Bay won the Cup, and then won the Draft Lottery. Drouin, Stamkos and McDavid won the cup 3 straight after that. Stammer now plays for the Preds.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Just got it, and wow, is it ever complicated compared to what I was expecting. How do you trade players? I couldn't find anything. Noticed I'm a couple million over the cap, so I'm trying to fix that before the year actually starts.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I wish this game would get released for Mac.... not a fan of Parallels and Bootcamp.

I am running this on Linux using Wine and it runs smooth as butter. The game is not resource intensive and should be pretty smooth to run on any emulator or VM

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just got it, and wow, is it ever complicated compared to what I was expecting. How do you trade players? I couldn't find anything. Noticed I'm a couple million over the cap, so I'm trying to fix that before the year actually starts.

Trades... A couple of ways I know of...

Say you want Crosby. Click on the standings button at the top.. Click stage ... Go to eastern conference ..click on penguins. You now have a list of the Penguins roster. Right click on Crosby.. Pick Approach to trade. You can now set up a trade.

Say you want to trade someone on your team. Again click on the standings button at the top... Look across the list of commands until you see trade centre.. Click it.. There is now a drop down called Trade.. Click that and pick the team you want to trade with. Away you go...

It does take a while to figure out where everything in the game is and it can be a lot when you start. Depends if you want to coach and run practices as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I started a new game with the new start of season edition rosters from TBL. I decided I'd avoid the whole Kane fiasco and put him on the block early. Managed to get a 1st and Mark Stone for him from Ottawa, which the fans like, I'm assuming because he's from Winnipeg.
The season wasn't going to bad for us into December, we were in a 8th place and looking good and then disaster struck. Both Little and Perreault suffered season ending injuries...
We went on a 5 game losing streak and then another 4 game streak. I decided this was a good time to put Buff on the trade block. After fielding some terrible offers. 1st place Tampa offered me two 1st, their own and 5th place NYR's plus a 2nd rounder. So I took it.
I was now icing a pretty terrible team. But I had 4-1st rounders and 2-2nd rounders. Which is 6 picks in the top 60 of the draft.
We ended up finishing 29th place overall. I managed to snag Eichel, Provorov, Chabot and Svechnikov with my 1st rounders. You could say that we are pretty stacked in the pipeline now.
I can't wait to role a future 1-2 blueline of
Morrisey-Trouba
Chabot-Provorov
I also managed to resign Frolik to a 3.5milx3 deal and Burmi to a 2.5x3 year deal with all the extra cap space I have.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Byfuglien and Ladd hate me. I'm not sure why, but I'm listed as "Disliked Staff" on their Info screen. It's their contract year, and they don't want to sign. Marty St. Louis wouldn't re-sign with the Jets either - he's still sitting as a UFA in November and, while he doesn't seem to want to retire, he's not interested in listening to any offers from me.

The game has some problems with RFAs - you can successfully acquire guys with offer-sheets (which almost never happens IRL). I got Huala with a 1-year/$1 million offer - so the Wild get no compensation. I got Martin Jones from the Kings on an offer sheet too (had to give up a 2nd round pick).

Jones has been sucking so far, btw. Down in the AHL posting mediocre results. Hutch is my only decent goalie. Enroth's okay too. Hellebuyck is meh...which sounds like the consensus around here.

I had some roster balance issues as the 2nd season was starting - not enough defensemen under contract for the Ice Caps. So I conducted a search and turned up a guy, Manning, from UBC who I signed for $30k or something - he's been ripping up the AHL. Petan and Ehlers are also crushing it in the A.

I went on vacation for a couple of weeks at the end of August and Zinger signed a bunch of players...mostly garbage. So I canned him and hired Bob Gainey as my new assistant GM. Then Zinger got hired to coach the Canucks 6 weeks into the season...

Oh and I'd fired McCambridge and hired John Tortorella to coach the Ice Caps. He retired after one season. Now Doug Shedden is the coach in St. John's.

I don't know if I had a point... :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
^^^----

We all have stories.

The top scoring defenceman on my team ( Jets ) for the last 3 seasons is Tyler Myers.... yet every friken week I get a email from "The Board" telling me how disgusted they are that he wears the uniform. Bunch of drunken owners... give 'em a team and they think they know what they are doing. You hired me to do a job... let me do it and shut-up about it... Myers is going no where. :rant:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Anyone else ever try starting unemployed? I took over as Slovak GM (so basically unemployed) and started a season. I put my reputation as Hall of Famer. I put all leagues except FIN3 on. So far I have lost out to 2 SUI2 jobs, 1 OHL job (to Mike Gillis), 1 WHL job (to Steve Tambellini), and 1 AHL job (to George McPhee). Proving more difficult to get a job then I thought haha.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I stopped playing it completely right now. Too busy playing GTA Online with my roomate and The Witcher 3 which is the best ****ing RPG ever ****ing made and I'm a ****ing huge Mass Effect fan that has serious fanboy sympathy for that franchise, so me saying The Witcher is a better all around game than ME means A LOT.

Hell, Dragon Age Inquisition isn't even half as good as The Witcher :O

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I stopped playing it completely right now. Too busy playing GTA Online with my roomate and The Witcher 3 which is the best ****ing RPG ever ****ing made and I'm a ****ing huge Mass Effect fan that has serious fanboy sympathy for that franchise, so me saying The Witcher is a better all around game than ME means A LOT.

Pretty much agreed on all counts.

I really like EHM, but my laptop is so hilariously bad that simulating the season takes a little bit too long for my taste. I'll manually sim through the games which I'm fine with, but the rest of the NHL and AHL is just brutal sometimes.

I got The Witcher 3 yesterday so I'm looking forward to getting lost in it.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

Witcher 3 is pretty damn close to a masterpiece in my eyes. Honestly taken back by how much stuff there is to do. :laugh: Spent so much time on the game and still feels like I have a massive amount of things left to explore or sidequests to do ontop of the unfinished main story.

Skarp

May 24, 2015
Been having a tough time making it out of the first round of the playoffs for the past few seasons. My top two lines are:

Benn / Crosby / Brithen (a 105pt rookie)
Ehlers / Korostolev / Holland

But my goaltending is horrendous. I have a 21 year old lighting up the AHL but I still want to endure a few more years before I bring him up. Oh well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad