Easton E28 (and Bauer P14) Curve Discussion

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
Went to the shop to get my skates sharpened and they had the Mako 2 in stock. I messed around with E28 and honestly I didn't like it. Was very strange looking curve. First it's very deep IMO, second where it starts to open up is kind of strange. It opens up very quickly around mid to heel. Like I said strange to me. Just like the P14 though the toe width is very skinny. I liked the feel of the stick itself but wasn't overly impressed with the curve.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I always thought the Sakic was as you described, it opened up quickly in the mid, not like a toe, more like a Drury that kinked in the middle rather than the heel.

Okay, first game with the BP14 last night.

Shorter blade made for much easier puck handling. Like very quick puck movement through loose pucks in warmups. Although smaller toe makes for harder drags.

Not much difference in terms of blade lie while puck handling vs P92.

Passing seemed a little easier, especially on the backhand. Not sure why. I was able to lift and flip pucks easier than the P92 front and back.

Forehand shots seem to be lower than the P92. Not sure if this is because the flatter lie at the toe makes you cup the puck more. That's my guess since I think it's essentially a P92 that has been shaved down.

But that flatter lie up front seems to help with accuracy for me. The shots I took were much more on target than they have been lately and more predictable.

I think once I get some practice time and dial in my shot, I'm going to like it. Not sure yet if I'm going to want a bit more loft (like a P08). Maybe lower shots would be good for me.

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
I always thought the Sakic was as you described, it opened up quickly in the mid, not like a toe, more like a Drury that kinked in the middle rather than the heel.
Okay, first game with the BP14 last night.

Shorter blade made for much easier puck handling. Like very quick puck movement through loose pucks in warmups. Although smaller toe makes for harder drags.

Not much difference in terms of blade lie while puck handling vs P92.

Passing seemed a little easier, especially on the backhand. Not sure why. I was able to lift and flip pucks easier than the P92 front and back.

Forehand shots seem to be lower than the P92. Not sure if this is because the flatter lie at the toe makes you cup the puck more. That's my guess since I think it's essentially a P92 that has been shaved down.

But that flatter lie up front seems to help with accuracy for me. The shots I took were much more on target than they have been lately and more predictable.

I think once I get some practice time and dial in my shot, I'm going to like it. Not sure yet if I'm going to want a bit more loft (like a P08). Maybe lower shots would be good for me.

It is similar but in person when comparing the two it's very to IMHO. It's hard to explain, I guess just seeing it in person is always best.

I Am Score*

I just ordered a P14 on my Total One and can likely double confirm this once I get it. I will post my updated "anaylsis" in the next several days.

I Am Score*

Just got my P14 Bauer Total One (Not NXG) in the mail from Hockey Monkey.
First thoughts:

Wow, this stick is incredibly light. I don't know how i'll adjust but I like it. I haven't take any shots but it seems really durable in the flex. Blade feels nice and durable as well.

Puck control is really well. Very easy stickhandling and passing.

The curve is decent. The toe is more than i'm used to, but it shouldn't be a huge problem. Absolutely fantastic stick if you keep your heel slightly off the ice and shoot off the toe. The curve is REALLY ugly. Like horrid. But it looks effective but i'll have to see when shooting.

I thought i'd hate the spiral grip on it, but it doesn't burn my hands as others have said. It's actually not pronounced enough to hurt your palms. I like the feel of the grip actually.

I got it in a 67 flex Intermediate but cutting it down to about a 77. I'm 5'8 and the comes right about to my mouth but this depends on other people of course.

I'll have more thoughts when I cut it down and fully tape it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Am Score*

Sorry for the triple post but wow is Hockey Monkey a great company.

I bought:

CCM U+12 Senior Shinguards (fits perfectly)
Bauer Total One Intermediate Composite (great feel)
2 Luckey Stick Wax
A&R Suspenders
Reebok Performance Edge Jersey

And they all fit great. Shipped right on time for a little over 200 total. Even got the LE (exclusive to Hocket Monkey) CCM U+12. Amazing.

roffleburger

Dec 21, 2011
The only Easton marketing I trust is Cruikshank. That being said, I could easily be screwed once I get the Easton Mako skates but we'll have to see.

MLX is beast but who knows.

Truer words have never been spoken. I have MLXs and they are unbelieveable, and Cruikshank is the only reason I would ever get the Mako skates

I Am Score*

I completely agree with Jarick here.

I'm using the P14 Supreme Total One (not NXG). Here are my thoughts after taping the blade and taking some shots:

* The puckhandling in this stick is excellent. I can feel the puck so well although the blade is really, really small compared to other sticks i've used.

* That short blade also helps your accuracy, although all my shots are going low and where I want them too.

* The shooting is "effortless" but if your a guy like me who likes to feel the snap out of a stick and you really putting effort into it, it's really weird adjustment. To get harder shots, it's almost like you apply LESS pressure on shooting it hard. You just kind of "slip" the puck off your stick. Feels VERY weird.

Complaints:

I honestly am not big on the Total One at all so far. I thought the grip was nice until I actually took some slapshots. OUCH! It completely burns your hands even with gloves on, so slapshots are basically useless to me.

I don't take much in game but I do like to practice with slapshots and one timers and it helps my tape stick more to the blade, making it nice and polished although grey at times.

The stick is a good passing stick but the blade size is REALLY messing me up. The curve is not very open so unless you have a problem shooting too high, this curve is not for you.

I've always had problems on my elevation on my shots. My old composite snipes the top corners with ease (Stastny) but this barely reaches above the glove side.

I may just be pessimistic here, but i'm giving this curve a C. It's a great passing curve as expected, but shooting is absolutely awful and even shooting off the toe doesn't help either.

I'm also giving the Supreme Total One a B. It's a very light stick which is nice, but the grip is absolutely awful for those who "lean into their shots" as the product states.

I'm just glad I got this for $100 if I can't get used to it.

I Am Score*

Yup, P14 is definitley hurting my game,

The Stastny curve is pretty long mind you, but this curve is WAY too short to shoot off of.

The stickhandling is great, but i'm not sure how effective it'll be in the long run. It just feels short enough where I would lose complete control over the puck.
It doesn't help that the stick i'm using virtually gets no pop whatsoever.

Stay away from this curve fellas.

Aucoin11*

I think you may be the first person I've met who doesn't like the total one. But I guess everyone is different. Preference etc.

I Am Score*

I think you may be the first person I've met who doesn't like the total one. But I guess everyone is different. Preference etc.

It's only the grip haha.

Plus the combo of the curve is like ugh. I could be overreacting but eh.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yup, P14 is definitley hurting my game,

The Stastny curve is pretty long mind you, but this curve is WAY too short to shoot off of.

The stickhandling is great, but i'm not sure how effective it'll be in the long run. It just feels short enough where I would lose complete control over the puck.
It doesn't help that the stick i'm using virtually gets no pop whatsoever.

Stay away from this curve fellas.
It's all personal preference, I've used a tonne of different curves and the P14 is one of my favorites, a little strange to say "stay away from this curve" just because it doesn't work for you. It's all about technique, if you shoot from the mid toe and like low lies, you'll probably love the P14, but if you shoot from the mid heel or like high lies, you'll probably hate it.

I'm also a bit surprised that the tac spiral burns your hand, as I've never had that problem with it at all. I'm wondering if you maybe grip the stick a bit loose during shots, so that it slips a bit during hard shots?

I Am Score*

It's all personal preference, I've used a tonne of different curves and the P14 is one of my favorites, a little strange to say "stay away from this curve" just because it doesn't work for you. It's all about technique, if you shoot from the mid toe and like low lies, you'll probably love the P14, but if you shoot from the mid heel or like high lies, you'll probably hate it.

I'm also a bit surprised that the tac spiral burns your hand, as I've never had that problem with it at all. I'm wondering if you maybe grip the stick a bit loose during shots, so that it slips a bit during hard shots?

Well I shoot from the mid to mid-toe portion and like a higher lie.

I guess it is personal preference, it just seems too much of a hassle for me and one of those things the kids will buy because they think it looks cool.

I'm only getting the tac spiral burning my hands when i'm taking slapshots which is a pain. When I move my hand down the shaft to set up the slapshot that is where it starts to burn real bad haha.

I Am Score*

You're probably gripping too hard, that sounds ridiculous haha

I've never used the spiral tac so I have no idea, this is my first time haha.

It didn't feel bad at all until I took slapshots. I've heard it from other people too. Oh well.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Thoughts on the P14 Teows curve?

Anyone here use it? What do you like it for? It seems like a good curve for shooting off the toe, especially for snap-shots. I'm thinking about trying an APX with this curve.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Merged threads.

I didn't use it last week but will again this week.

My latest thoughts on it...wish it had more loft at the heel, love the lie and rocker in general, wish the blade was a little longer and taller...

Also, I finally saw an E28 in person and it's different than the P14. It's closer to an Ovechkin P08 without the loft, actually not too far from a Gionta. Looks interesting.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Snagged a P14 Teows APX 77 flex LE (grip - which seems like less grip than your standard APX grip... it's like somewhere in the middle of grip and "clear" and I like it!)

I played one game with it and I must say... best shooting stick I've ever used. First I'll talk about the APX in general - the stick is SO DAMN LIGHT and a 77 flex APX is definitely more flexible than a 77 TotalONE (which was the stick I was previously using). The curve itself is golden. I mean, my snap-shots really did seem "effortless" and were quite accurate once I adjusted to the curve. My shots were coming off noticeably harder and my release was quicker. (probably because of the low-kick as opposed to the TotalONE's mid-kick?) Also, saucer passes are a lot easier than they were with the Backstrom curve I was using on my Total ONE. Stick handling was ok but I can tell that I need to adjust to the smaller surface area of the toe that the P14 has.

It's only been one men's league game + warm-ups, but I have a feeling I'm going to love this curve/stick.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
I am using the Mako 1 in a Hall curve (E3). I like the stick handling, like the wristers and my slappers are hard and pretty accurate if I pay attention to the follow through :D

The one thing that I don't care for in the E3 is the lie. I just feel like the puck slips under the toe on passing away from the body and it just feels like I have to go out of the way and it's awkward and I fight it.

Today I stopped by Hockey Monkey in Irvine and the new store is like a Wal Mart for hockey sticks alone (they have 8 aisles of sticks, I swear). It was overwhelming. I honestly forgot why I was there. I wanted to look at some different patterns for passing but they were all too plain for shooting. Then I asked the associate if they had the Mako 2 in stock and he showed me the Hall so I can get some familiarity of the stick feature differences, etc. I fondled it and bellyached my issue with passing then he asked if I have seen the E28. He hands it to me and I checked it. First impressions- thought it was like a Hall (open face) and the curve at mid toe didn't really trip me out (it's not even close to Gionta) but the thing that sold me was the 5 lie! A 5 lie with a open blade and less rocker than a E3 and I was pumped that he showed me this, gave him a fist bump and I am home with this stick and pumped on getting on the ice.

I have a hockey net and a shooting pad at home so I took snappers/wristers. Even shot with what the Easton (Bjustad) guy was coaching "pull wristers" which is what I have been doing lately. First impressions- Uhhh, the velocity was increasingly noticeable and accuracy is better than the E3. Couldn't believe it! However, the new shaft felt nice too. The stick handling felt better and responsive both in pattern and also in model (Mako 1 vs Mako 2). Didn't really trip out on the slightly shorter blade than the E3 blade length as the lower rocker gave me more effective blade on the pad anyways.

Sorry for the long post. Will come back on Tuesday after I test it on the ice, namely passing and handling, slappers, wristers and anything else. I just played 3 games in less than 24 hours in a Tourney and I am smoked.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
I took a look at the 75 flex e28 mako 2 and it was EXTREMELY whippy compared to the 65. Any thoughts on why ?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Did you grab it at full length? That does seem odd. When you compare them at identical lengths the 65 should be noticeably whippier.

Went back to my P14 last night. I've avoided it the last few games because it "shoots too low". Well after missing high and wide a few times with my P92 (too whippy as well), sniped one with the P14. Toe drag, defender as a screen, right in corner high glove. Other team actually came to tell me it was a really nice shot. Goalie after the game said she thought someone else had the puck :laugh:

I still get this nagging feeling like the curve is off, maybe because it's ugly. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad