Easton E28 (and Bauer P14) Curve Discussion

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Attached here are a few e3 vs e28 comps.

Took some slappers in the garage and was looking at the mirror behind me which showed me the lie. The E3 strikes more towards the heel (exclusively) and the front of the blade is off the ground quite a bit. The E28 strikes between heel to mid nice and even with the front of the blade just slightly off the ground. So all of this indicates both lower lie (only .5 difference) and also less rocker in the E28.

Did notice that I do have to "try" to roof it as oppose to the Hall which likes to get up quickly. Again, looking forward to see what this E28 is like in real conditions (moving on ice-taking shots). I wouldn't mind taking lower harder shots but wanting to roof it when I want. Seems like more control in shot selection overall thus far.

Another side note looking at the second birds eye shot of the blades, it doesn't seem to be shorter like the Bauer P-14 folks are talking about, but will need to get on the ice for a real assessment on that.

Attachments

• blades.JPG
    blades.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 46
  • blades1.JPG
    blades1.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 59

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Okay, spent some time shooting in the basement last night.

I'm getting fluttering and weird things with the P14, just inconsistency. Sometimes I completely shank the shot and it doesn't rise.

P92, it's better, better ice contact, although the shots go right because of the higher lie and I cup the puck more (I'm a lefty).

PM9 that I opened up a bit, it's a lot better. Lower lie so the shots aren't off target.

Oddly enough, shooting from the mid-toe of the PM9 was better than it was with the P14. Guessing because of the lie. No wobble, right where I want it to go. Reminds me of my first Drury, a wood blade that was less open than composites.

Then my shots from the mid-heel with the P14 were better than from the mid toe. Well, sometimes.

Threw the tweaked PM9 in my 75 flex shaft. Will try than and the P14 side by side this week. Identical length.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Bit the bullet and got an 85 Mako E28 today as my first big boy stick (had a pair of Winwells I got for $15 each). The stick feels super light and with the grip I like how easy it seems to control it. Can't wait till Thursday to prove that even a great stick doesn't compensate for bad technique, but it seems as expensive this one is, it is a great top end, as well as, learning stick as it in a way forces you to cup and shoot of the toe.

Last edited:

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Bit the bullet and got an 85 Mako E28 today as my first big boy stick (had a pair of Winwells I got for $15 each). The stick feels super light and with the grip I like how easy it seems to control it. Can't wait till Thursday to prove that even a great stick doesn't compensate for bad technique, but it seems as expensive this one is, it is a great top end, as well as, learning stick as it in a way forces you to cup and shoot of the toe.

Congrats. You will like it or love.

Wearing my Penguins practice jersey, today I went to stick time and broke out the new Mako 2 85flex E28 blade. I felt like Tom Cruise in the Color of Money breaking out the Balabushka cue.

Spent a lot of time shooting at an empty net trying stationary wristers, pull wristers and then did some skating wristers. Man, this shaft is awesome. The blade is awesome too. Love the 5 lie vs 5.5. Stick handling on this blade is kinda like the Hall. Passing was good too. Need to practice some sauce to get an idea of what's going on with that. My wristers were pretty accurate man. Couldn't believe that I was able to look at where I wanted it to go and it went generally in that area consistently every time. It didn't matter if I was shooting off the toe or mid blade. While it's different than shooting at home on a pad vs on the ice I was pleased with the accuracy on the ice. If I wanted it low, it stayed low and with some serious zip. If I wanted bardown, hit it every time. Of course, it's easy with no pressure and no goalie on net. Then I took some slappers and it was accurate as well. Same nice load like the Mako 1 thus hard velocity. You can go as hard as you want and this stick will respond.

Then I went for some 3 on 3. Stick handling was effortless in traffic. Didn't feel like I needed to look down at the puck like I usually do (I consider myself a 3rd line intermediate level player). Got a real nice high velocity wrister by the goalie over his shoulder blocker side. He had no idea I was going to shoot and the 6 guys on the ice were all impressed and getting that recognition felt really good, but damn, I got to give the stick some frickin' credit man, it's awesome.

Then we did some shootouts and although I didn't get by the goalie, I felt comfortable on the approach and felt like I had more control, in fact so much control I thought too much.

Again, if you're into the Hall, but want a more controllable Hall, I think this is a great blade to use.

*Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the blade did not feel short like some Bauer P-14 users tend to note.

Last edited:

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Question here, as I have to go back to the store to get my sharpening fixed (weird flat area on one edge, should've checked on site): I am 5'10" and currently sit at around 185lbs, being slightly fat, but don't expect to shed tons of weight, so let's assume 180lbs here. I was told in the store I should go with 85 flex. Off skates it seems quite tough to bend and being a noobie, not sure how much it should bend, it is very difficult currently though. I am thinking of grabbing an 80 flex instead though while I am there tomorrow, or even 75 if they have it. Thoughts?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I can say that I generally advise players still learning their shot to opt for whippier flex. I can also go by Jarick's flex guideline or I can go by weight, which is another school of thought. With all of that being said, if you have a hard time loading the stick and releasing, then perhaps consider a whippier stick for your next one. You should remember that in a game, you will almost never be bending the stick as you would in store. That's a way for more experienced players to quickly gauge the 'feel' of the flex, harkening all the way back to when wood sticks and their organic inconsistencies made such a check standard procedure. Almost everyone has since copied that check into the composites, but I'm not sure everyone understand what they should be looking for.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I can say that I generally advise players still learning their shot to opt for whippier flex. I can also go by Jarick's flex guideline or I can go by weight, which is another school of thought. With all of that being said, if you have a hard time loading the stick and releasing, then perhaps consider a whippier stick for your next one. You should remember that in a game, you will almost never be bending the stick as you would in store. That's a way for more experienced players to quickly gauge the 'feel' of the flex, harkening all the way back to when wood sticks and their organic inconsistencies made such a check standard procedure. Almost everyone has since copied that check into the composites, but I'm not sure everyone understand what they should be looking for.

Cool, I'll try to snag a 75 if they have it today then. Also spot on with the assessment of not understanding what I am looking for. ;)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The store I used to work at had a shooting gallery which helped many newer players gauge their flex range. Unfortunately, some come in with predetermined notions about what they should be looking for, in which, a vast majority of the time, they have been misguided. The thing about sticks is that if you really cared about them, they can be very personal. It can take players a long time to build up their preferences to dial in exactly what they want in a stick, and preferences change.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
My store sadly didn't have an option to test drive sticks, I asked about that. I went with what the salesdude recommended in terms of length and flex. With my shoddy technique I am not bending it even a bit though and for $250 I better have a stick that's comfortable to use. Only thing I came fixated on was the E28 curve that allows me to use the stick without cutting it due to the nice lie on the heel to receive passes. Thanks for the input at any rate! I'll make sure to mention you in my thank you speech next year when I crack the NHL. ;P

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Haha, I'll be sure to attend the draft then. One thing though to be careful of: when I checked out the 75 flex Mako II, it was perhaps the whippiest 75 flex I've ever flexed. It felt like a 65. I don't know if the one I tried was an anomaly, but just make sure before you decide.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Will definitely make sure I try it first. Considering the 85 bends about 10% for me (not sure how you measure that) I don't expect the 75 to bee too soft, if it is I'll go with 80. Thanks for the heads up though.

P.S. Can I even be drafted at 26? I am not sure what my options are, haha. ;)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't think Easton offers an 80 flex...just 75, 85, and 100 for senior.

And you'll likely need to cut it down at 5'10. Maybe less than versus a 5.5 lie, but you'll want it probably not any longer than your nose in bare feet.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I don't think Easton offers an 80 flex...just 75, 85, and 100 for senior.

And you'll likely need to cut it down at 5'10. Maybe less than versus a 5.5 lie, but you'll want it probably not any longer than your nose in bare feet.

Shhhh. I noticed that myself that there is only 75 and 85 (+). I am somewhere between 5'10-5'11, the dude at the store said I should be okay with full length. It was somewhere under my nose on slight tippy-toes, but cutting a 75 by about an inch should put me right at 80ish I guess. I played only with full length sticks so far though and that felt quite okay so far. Too bad cutting it is such a final thing.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Shhhh. I noticed that myself that there is only 75 and 85 (+). I am somewhere between 5'10-5'11, the dude at the store said I should be okay with full length. It was somewhere under my nose on slight tippy-toes, but cutting a 75 by about an inch should put me right at 80ish I guess. I played only with full length sticks so far though and that felt quite okay so far. Too bad cutting it is such a final thing.

Not really, ~$5 should get you a wooden extension.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
But that won't be super grippy then! Also mixing wood and expensive stuff?! Unheard of! ;)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Huh? You remove the tape, heat and insert the wooden extension and then retape.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I was just kidding. ;) I do have the Mako Grip version, so I was expecting to just use minimal tape, but if I re-extend it, obviously I'd need to fix it up.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Interesting preference, I use TackiMacs on all of my stick handles except for one, which I leave untaped (relying on the grip) with a small knob of tape at the end, about 1/2 a strip in width.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
Haha, I'll be sure to attend the draft then. One thing though to be careful of: when I checked out the 75 flex Mako II, it was perhaps the whippiest 75 flex I've ever flexed. It felt like a 65. I don't know if the one I tried was an anomaly, but just make sure before you decide.

Like I said earlier, the 75 I tried felt whippet than the 65.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Got the 75 yesterday and really like the bend. Will be playing tonight and see if I finally manage to lift a puck off the ice! ;) It is significantly softer than the 85, but I think I will have to chop off 1-1.5" after all which should bring it to about an 80. With my non-existent form this hopefully will work out nicely. I didn't try the Intermediates for comparison, but apart from manufacturing defects or similar I can't imagine how those would be less whippy. Maybe they are a bit stiff until used a bit or so?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Good thinking, at your height 75 flex plus 1-2" off the end until it's comfortable is what I would have recommended. Proper flex is easier to lift the puck, more power on the shot, and less stress on your joints.

And don't worry about wood plugs...they barely make a difference in feel or weight under 3" long and lots of NHL'ers do it out of habit.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
easton kills me when they wont make a new curve in an affordable option. make a blade for the love of god! if no one buys this, theyll stop making it thinking its not popular when if they made a blade for it a lot of people would be delighted to try a new easton curve. ive been a toe guy my whole life, this looks like id eat it up. aint paying 250 to break it in a month. im 6'4". one pieces do not last long enough to justify it. if they made it in a 150 option id probably do it.

ive used the p14 and generally like it. i struggled with the lie a little, sometimes lower ones work, sometimes they dont. i know the e28 is lower but im willing to give it a shot.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I would guess that the marketing for the E28 would help drive sales of their flagship stick, which is better than driving sales for a lower end stick. You're not the only one clamoring for a cheaper option to try the E28 on, however, it would not be in replacement blades because that market is shrinking. Other manufacturers are recognizing that this type of toe curve is gaining popularity, hence why you should be able to find comparable curves from other makers in the near future. Patience!

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Yep. Looks like marketing strategy. Although, IMHO these pro curves shouldn't be used by low level developing players.

There are plenty of heavy 'toe hooks' in the nhl. Difference is, those guys are elite shooters/ passers, they can adjust to a new optimal technique in a very short amount of time. Toe hooks are great for loaded wrist shots (think lacrosse racquet). But if you catch too much/ or not enough toe on a pass or slapshot or snapshot or stickhandling or backhanding, you're going to spray, these are not forgiving curves.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Thought I would bump this thread.

I just picked up a stick with the Warrior W28 curve, which I held up next to an Easton E28, and they look identical.

It does play different than a P14 though, toe is round instead of pointed, more of a true toe curve than a mid-toe, seems less rockered at the heel but a bit of rocker near the toe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad