Easton E28 (and Bauer P14) Curve Discussion

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thought I would bump this thread.

I just picked up a stick with the Warrior W28 curve, which I held up next to an Easton E28, and they look identical.

It does play different than a P14 though, toe is round instead of pointed, more of a true toe curve than a mid-toe, seems less rockered at the heel but a bit of rocker near the toe.

That sounds like a perfect fit for me, tried the P14 on my friend's Nexus 1000 and I don't like it much, the squarish toe. Is the W28 blade longer than the P14 ? I don't like short blades, especially after experiencing with longer ones like the P92 and P08.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Alright, I'm going to post this question here since this topic pertains to toe curves.

I currently use a Gionta Curve. And I do like it.

Its almost perfect in my eyes but there a few things that hold me back.

The Pros:

The Lie, Its perfect for myself, I am on the shorter end as well so the low lie helps me out. 5'9.
The Curve itself. I really like how the blade is a true toe curve and slightly opens up. Its not ridiculously open where i sail it over the net. Its nice for accurate shooting.

Its flat in the heel to mid where it helps excel in snappers and slappers. And its nice for passing and receiving. Backhanders are also good.
The cons:

Puck Possession. One thing that happens to me quite frequently, is that the puck rolls off the end of my blade. Sticks handling is meh. But keeping the puck in control when carrying the puck away from my body and such, almost always end with having it escape my blade.

Besides the quick snap shots. Shooting almost becomes one dimensional. To use the blade to its potential, you have to have the puck a bit away from the body and start the puck from the mid and have it roll right off the toe.

When the puck is in close or far from the body, the shots come off weak or are shanked.

So...

I think the problem is the lack of a rocker on the curve.

Im curious to know if the W28 would solve this? I'm also looking at the W88.

I play forward... quick wrist and snapshots are huge in my game, along with the occasional One Timer. Also, having a blade the keeps the backhand viable is important. And lastly, Its important to have a blade that makes passing and receiving pucks with ease and precision. I need the lie to be similar to the Gionta. And have all these components somewhat satisfied. Reason being Im considering the W88 cause I would be wiling to sacrifice the toe, the reason Im hesitant with it is because of the lie and possibly to much rocker.. Idk... HALP

Sorry for the loaded post but Id like some input.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Bumping this thread, with a video of me shooting with the E28 curve, trying to use Scott Bjugstad's snap shot technique. Also some slap shot, backhanders and saucer passes in the mix. Please tell me what you think about it :)

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
As a note to this, Bauer will now have an exact e28 clone in the upcoming new Vapor line in February. I dont remember the number off the top of my head, but it will be the Giroux.

I saw it last week and its an exact copy of the e28.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
As a note to this, Bauer will now have an exact e28 clone in the upcoming new Vapor line in February. I dont remember the number off the top of my head, but it will be the Giroux.

I saw it last week and its an exact copy of the e28.

Finally ! They'll probably call it the P28, which is convenient since Giroux wears number 28. Where did you get the news ?

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Finally ! They'll probably call it the P28, which is convenient since Giroux wears number 28. Where did you get the news ?

Saw the stick and curve when the rep came and showed me the new Vapor line coming out in February. And yes, I think it is the P28.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I've been using this curve for a while now but I think I have the itch to try something new. The lack of a toe on the P14 kind of hurts my toe-drags and just pulling the puck in in general.. and the curve itself has made my passing a little sloppy. I think the lie might not be appropriate for me. Also, I think I want something with more of a backhand.

I've used the P88 before and it was a cool jack of all trades curve and I've used the PM9 but the P14 has been my favorite out of the three. I'm thinking about trying a Sakic-style curve (P92 and the like) but I don't know how it is for passing and back-handers.

Anyone want to give me their opinions?

The thing I liked about the P14 that made me stick with it for over a year:

The ability to get quick, hard, rising snap-shots off from the toe. For some reason, shooting off of the toe felt so comfortable for me.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I've been using this curve for a while now but I think I have the itch to try something new. The lack of a toe on the P14 kind of hurts my toe-drags and just pulling the puck in in general.. and the curve itself has made my passing a little sloppy. I think the lie might not be appropriate for me. Also, I think I want something with more of a backhand.

I've used the P88 before and it was a cool jack of all trades curve and I've used the PM9 but the P14 has been my favorite out of the three. I'm thinking about trying a Sakic-style curve (P92 and the like) but I don't know how it is for passing and back-handers.

Anyone want to give me their opinions?

The ability to get quick, hard, rising snap-shots off from the toe. For some reason, shooting off of the toe felt so comfortable for me.

Go P92 or E28 if you want something deeper than the P92 at the toe while being fairly flat at the heel.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009

That short blade makes shooting off the toe feel snappier.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
After a long period just using the P92, I decided to dabble back with an e28. I forgot how much I enjoyed the added two and the backhand doesn't lose anything. My shot is better with the pull in movement as well.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
He returns!

E36 is the Bauer P88. More closed yes, slightly higher lie depending on where you measure. Less toe, more of a mid curve.

Easton calls it the dual lie, but there's less of a pronounced 'crook' in the middle of the blade.

Overall, might be a good choice.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I ended up buying a V9E Elite with the E36 curve and played a weekend tourney plus a quasi-league game with it.

It is very similar to the P88 in terms of the curve while being similar to the P14 in terms of length and rocker at the toe. It's a pretty mild blade, neutral to slightly open, very much a mid. I was kind of hoping it would be more of a toe curve.

My shots are pretty accurate overall but the blade does feel short and it's obviously not as easy to go up high quickly. I've definitely lost the puck off the blade a number of times that I wouldn't normally and actually flubbed some passes and clearing attempts.

Will keep using it and getting used to it as the V9E is a pretty nice feeling stick, but I've already got my eye on a matching stick with the E28 because I miss that pattern.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I used the E36 stick for about 5 games and continued to flub some passes and lose some pucks. I think the fact that the puck wants to be in the middle of the blade rather than the toe makes it feel shorter. I'll have to make it a touch longer.

For my last two games I went to my old Warrior W28 stick (cheaper DT4) and the curve felt great. Bar down in warmups every time, more comfortable stickhandling, and better passing throughout the game. I did have a couple passes and shots that went higher than I wanted but I think it's easier to work to keep those down rather than not feeling comfortable. Of course, the stick is a bit heavy overall and a little stiff as it's a cut down 75 flex (although a whippy 75 compared to most).

Today I decided to pick up another Easton stick, this time a Stealth CT7.5 which seems to be an SMU for Total Hockey. It's the second time I've picked up a price point stick on purpose rather than a closeout high end stick. There was a Synergy 80 on clearance for the same price ($119) but the Stealth seemed like it was the slightest bit lighter even though it was supposed to be cheaper. It also seemed to flex just a bit easier with my hands in shooting position.

I've been really impressed with the evolution of price point sticks. Back in the day when high end sticks were $175 and price point were around $100, they were 550g hunks of fiberglass that had no feel and no pop. Now with high end sticks around $250, the $120 models are around 450g (or a bit more) with a good flex and impressive blades.

I'll have a couple games and a scrimmage in the next week or two but am hoping this will have a nice kick and good puck feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad