Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I think it's a forgone conclusion they're still going for it over the next two years until Kopitar retires.

There's a 99.9% chance it fails.

But I don't really mind as longs two things happen:
1) After Kopitar retires the FO gets wiped out, and we start a rebuild proper.
2) We don't have any terrible contracts on the books that will handicap the franchise like PLD.

I'm still somewhat hopeful they can find a way to dump Pierre this offseason.
With Blake staying, it’s more likely we get another terrible anchor contract added to the mix soon than Dubois being dumped.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Absolutely. A current buyout of PLD would cripple the cap situation for a long time, just like it did to the Wild, who are still f***ed because of it. I'd rather see him waived (if it gets that bad, which its close to getting to) or traded. Only problem with both of those scenarios is the Kings would have to retain on the deal and get negative value from him. Plus I don't see any other team in the league wanting him. They're f***ed in just about every possibility thanks to that ridiculously stupid contract.
The comparison to the Wild cap situation is not based in facts. Parise and Sutter each count for over 7.3 million of dead cap space for a total of of 14.7 dead cap space this season.

A buyout of PLD only tops 3 million of cap space 3 of the 14 seasons, is less than 2 million for 9 seasons, and never tops 4 million. The 3 largest cap hits start after Kopitar's contract ends. Two are after Doughty's contract ends. This is not comparable to the Wild's situation.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
After absorbing all the exit interviews and the general messaging from the organization, it’s clear those in power are white knuckling until the whole apparatus comes unglued. What a sad state of affairs.

Any notion of trading a major piece is likely off the table. Kopitar and Doughty may as well be signing the checks. It’s their team and they want to win and the office will acquiesce. Luc is a feckless boardroom figurehead at this point and more interested in quarterly P&Ls. He has his dogs underneath him (Blake), adjacent to him (Brisson), and above him (Beckerman). And that’s that.

They won’t buy out PLD. They won’t even try to trade him. They won’t trade Doughty. They wouldn’t even trade Matt Roy. They’ll continue scouring the league for veteran mercenaries to fill holes and hold on the youth they’re forced to.

The most embarrassing part of all this are slackjawed bootlickers like the Mayor and some of the posters here. But they won’t be forced to admit they were wrong until the bitter end. They’re like children who still think Santa Claus is real. They’ll face reality eventually, or they’ll run away forever to hide.

If the team misses the playoffs, maybe that’s enough of a shock to Uncle Phil’s dialysis machine to wake him up.

This is the most rudderless and impotent this franchise has been since the late 90s. Learn to enjoy the team ironically. Save your money.
Luckily, having moved to Wyoming, it’s never been easier to not buy tickets.

f*** this organization right now. It’s got me damn near ready to cancel my DIRECTV and center ice.

Yeah those daily unmarked goals with him guarding no one in the front of the net just hits different if isn’t him
Look man, you’ve had some hot takes over this season (and beyond) but attacking Matt Roy as the crux of the defensive issues on this roster is especially spicy.

You go girl.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Mayor had said something silly like i can't believe you guys are so negative, we dont' know who the next head coach would be nor what trades we make

my retort was something like well that means we should be terrified, not depressed

almost instantly--inbox filled up with hate mail

funny shit if it weren't so depressing

Some quick thoughts:

I was very concerned with Kopitar's exit interview. He realizes time is running out and still wants a chance to win here. If the team listens to him, we are in for two more season of trying to fill in gaps and not building for the future. At the same time, he took all the money off the table in his last contract negotiations- did he receive market value, absolutely. Did he leave room in the cap to improve the team- fugetabouit, He deserves to finish his career here but not at the expense of the team's future.

Our most tradeable asset is Doughty- he wants to win, and the Maple Leafs, his home town team desperately need someone to show them how to take the next step. That would be the one team he'd accept a trade too, and if we retain 50% we can get some nice assets back.

Bill Guerin paid a huge price to get Suter and Parise out of his locker room because he wanted a change in culture. The Kings need to seriously think about doing the same thing with trades rather than buyouts. The GM needs to have the balls to tell AK and DD the facts of life rather than caving to their demands. On this issue will the next five seasons rest.

It's time to give some of our youngsters, Portillo, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Thomas, Fagemo, et al a fair shot at making it. If they fail, move on, if they prove they can play, we can look to fill other needs.

Fiala just disappeared in the playoffs- is that who he is? Regular season success only counts for so much.

My disdain for Luc is well known. I just hope he (and Blake) are held accountable. I think pressure from the fans may make a difference. I live in South Carolina now- The Hurricanes and Panthers are so well run by comparison, either one could win it all. Meanwhile, the Kings are moving sideways rapidly, not a good place to be.

oh great

so we're f***ed

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

f*** this organization right now. It’s got me damn near ready to cancel my DIRECTV and center ice.

Look man, you’ve had some hot takes over this season (and beyond) but attacking Matt Roy as the crux of the defensive issues on this roster is especially spicy.

You go girl.
Listen princess, i was only wrong about Byfield. Roy is extremely overrated. Hes not the crux of the issue but he was super overrated around here that’s for damn sure.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

You go girl.
I went YouTube TV and the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu bundle so I got most of the same channels and similar hockey games. This is about ~$90/month. I'm only missing NHL channel, MLB channel, History channel, and maybe science channel.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I went YouTube TV and the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu bundle so I got most of the same channels and similar hockey games. This is about ~$90/month. I'm only missing NHL channel, MLB channel, History channel, and maybe science channel.
You’re making a damn strong case here.

Listen princess, i was only wrong about Byfield. Roy is extremely overrated. Hes not the crux of the issue but he was super overrated around here that’s for damn sure.
The guy is gonna get the brinks truck backed up for him from some team desperately needing stability on the right hand side, and he is absolutely going to deliver. My money is on Detroit.

He is the epitome of a solid 2nd pair RHD, and will be sorely missed, even if it means we may finally get to see Clarke sparkle at an NHL level. He is an odd choice to pick on, to say the least.

Sweetheart? Idk where to go from that 3rd grade princess comment. I don’t have the same abilities as axl. I’m sorry I can’t be that for you.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You’re making a damn strong case here.

The guy is gonna get the brinks truck backed up for him from some team desperately needing stability on the right hand side, and he is absolutely going to deliver. My money is on Detroit.

He is the epitome of a solid 2nd pair RHD, and will be sorely missed, even if it means we may finally get to see Clarke sparkle at an NHL level. He is an odd choice to pick on, to say the least.

Sweetheart? Idk where to go from that 3rd grade princess comment. I don’t have the same abilities as axl. I’m sorry I can’t be that for you.
He’s not that good. Someone will back up the truck for him but he isn’t that good. I like that you draw the line at you go girl for Not being third grade commentary.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The comparison to the Wild cap situation is not based in facts. Parise and Sutter each count for over 7.3 million of dead cap space for a total of of 14.7 dead cap space this season.

A buyout of PLD only tops 3 million of cap space 3 of the 14 seasons, is less than 2 million for 9 seasons, and never tops 4 million. The 3 largest cap hits start after Kopitar's contract ends. Two are after Doughty's contract ends. This is not comparable to the Wild's situation.
Its still not ideal, plus they need the space for the Byfield contract amongst other things. I'm sure the Kings are still not going to commit to the rebuild as long as Kopi and Doughty are still playing. If they commit to the rebuild then you might as well buyout PL because it won't matter anyways.

I figured out what to do without buying out PLDeadweight though. All the Kings need to do is LTIR his ass so he doesn't count against the cap, Vegas style.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Roy's play fading lately don't mean he's not good

Seemed to have the typical "i just had a kid" sort of year

and it unfortunately coincided with Gavrikov's sagging play after knee injury

There are ebbs and flows in peoples seasons, they're not all elite with consistency.
Gavrikov just had a kid.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
The Kings really need to have an old PBS style video about bl**j**s. All of these procreating bastards are bad for cups.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Kings should be looking into trading Moore IMO.

The saying is: Buy low, Sell high. Moore's stock is at a high.

I love him, but he just had a 30 goal season, and is locked up for 3 more years at 4.2M. His NTC expires soon.

He should have a lot of value right now, and it will never be higher.

And who replaces his scoring as well as all the other things he does well? Moore's the kind of guy every team needs, and at 4.2 is really cheap. He's a better version of Iafollo.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Roy's play fading lately don't mean he's not good

Seemed to have the typical "i just had a kid" sort of year

and it unfortunately coincided with Gavrikov's sagging play after knee injury

There are ebbs and flows in peoples seasons, they're not all elite with consistency.

Yeah, Gav was hurting the entire playoffs. He was not the same guy we saw the year before. Seemed like every mistake on the pk ended up in our net, just a step slow, especially going side to side.

I don't really care because we're not going to win anything with him anyways.

well since you put it that way...🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Choralone

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think a few of you seem to forgotten just how bad Roy was near the crease every game. I am not personally interested in retaining a player like that who has that bad awareness near the goalie. Roy should have been moved at the TDL

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think a few of you seem to forgotten just how bad Roy was near the crease every game. I am not personally interested in retaining a player like that who has that bad awareness near the goalie. Roy should have been moved at the TDL
When Roy is focused, he's a great complementary partner.

But when he's off, you wish he had Durzi's on-ice defensive awareness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad