Friedman: "Eastern Conf. Exec" Betting on Crouse to TBL

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So two pages in an no one asks how Tampa would even be able to pull this off? They are currently operating on Seabrooks LTIR. They have $0 current cap space and they have $0 projected cap space. So which roster player are they giving up in a 1-for-1 to actually make this trade happen?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Here's a question. Crouse has been really good this year. Substantially better than in previous years. His even strength offensive game is spiking compared to his previous career. What do you see about his game being different this year? I know bruins fans want him bc he punches people. It's exhausting. I would love him if he's the player we're seeing this year and it wasnt just some kind of shooting percentage mirage. I just haven't watched many Coyotes games so I don't know. Whats different?
Rick Tocchet is finally gone. Worst coach in franchise history. I’ve been watching every game since 1996. Rick Tocchet is my favorite player of all time (other than Doan). He’s the worst coach I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: Schemp

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So two pages in an no one asks how Tampa would even be able to pull this off? They are currently operating on Seabrooks LTIR. They have $0 current cap space and they have $0 projected cap space. So which roster player are they giving up in a 1-for-1 to actually make this trade happen?

It's Tampa, cap magic will prevail.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The only player that "wanted out" was OEL and the feeling was more than mutual from management.

AZ is simply selling high on anything possible because the plan is to tank this year and next. Player values will drop in that environment. Chychrun is worth a lot at his AAV and every team can fit Crouse at the deadline. It's not that complicated.

Crouse is 24 and Chychrun is 23 - apparently that's too old for Arizona's rebuild? Makes no sense to trade them unless they don't want to stick around for a rebuild - aka wanting out. If they're ok sticking around, it would be beyond stupid to trade them right now. Having zero core players on the team when the next wave comes is the quickest way to become Buffalo 2.0 and be mediocre for the next decade.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Crouse is 24 and Chychrun is 23 - apparently that's too old for Arizona's rebuild? Makes no sense to trade them unless they don't want to stick around for a rebuild - aka wanting out. If they're ok sticking around, it would be beyond stupid to trade them right now. Having zero core players on the team when the next wave comes is the quickest way to become Buffalo 2.0 and be mediocre for the next decade.

Arizona is not in a rebuild. They are the NHL’s farm team.

And that’s just a joke Yotes fans. I hope that team gets good eventually.

Reactions: PAZ

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Rick Tocchet is finally gone. Worst coach in franchise history. I’ve been watching every game since 1996. Rick Tocchet is my favorite player of all time (other than Doan). He’s the worst coach I’ve ever seen.

OK - but specifically what's different about Crouse. Look at how EH has him (Charts below). His s% is probably unsustainably high but its not outrageous. All his underlying numbers this year are substantially better and his deployment is pretty similar so why is he so much better? Without watching him, I'd have no idea if this is fluky or if he has taken a step. It's an impressive start though.

This year:
upload_2022-1-10_17-52-23.png

Last three years:

upload_2022-1-10_17-52-50.png

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
OK - but specifically what's different about Crouse. Look at how EH has him (Charts below). His s% is probably unsustainably high but its not outrageous. All his underlying numbers this year are substantially better and his deployment is pretty similar so why is he so much better? Without watching him, I'd have no idea if this is fluky or if he has taken a step. It's an impressive start though.

This year:
View attachment 497267

Last three years:

View attachment 497268
Rick Tocchet is gone. Crouse is now playing hockey on a hockey team. It’s the worst team in history but it’s a hockey team at least.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think the thought process is that acquiring the absolutely insane amount of picks the coyotes have has a purpose. Not all prospects can sign ELCs, so if you can build up an insane prospect pool or equally insane glut of picks, those can then eventually be packaged for players that can help accelerate the rebuild.

The expectation for coyotes fans right now is that next season will also be miserable, but the hope is if a little lottery luck happens and Armstrong can swing some shrewd trades, they can start pulling out of the rebuild after the 2023 draft. Who knows, though...

Not easy being a Coyotes fan because it seems like they're always rebuilding but I've loved what Armstrong has done so far and wish that's what my team's GM did 7 years ago when we should have rebuilt.

I imagine the mandate he's been given from the people above him is to cut costs where ever possible as well, so it's not like he has the resources to build a competitive team even if he wanted to. At this point they don't really have much of a choice.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
AZ can take Ritchie off your hands AND send Crouse your way. But you won’t like the price…:)

Arizona won’t be getting Knies, I would rather just buy Ritchie out if needed. The buyout for him isn’t bad at all.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
4th post on page 2

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Well they’re not going to get the same value per dollar from Crouse for multiple years like they did with Coleman and Goodrow

True, but he's pretty cheap this year @ 1.5M and still an RFA afterwards.

So not the same situation as the other two but still a somewhat controllable asset.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
He has an actual NHL coach that uses an actual system that has an actual plan from the dzone forward.

Ok - but there isn't really anyone else taking the same kind of leap. He's an intriguing player. I wonder if he's just becoming who people thought he might be on draft day.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ok - but there isn't really anyone else taking the same kind of leap. He's an intriguing player. I wonder if he's just becoming who people thought he might be on draft day.

Clayton Keller is a completely different player this year but I haven't checked his underlying numbers. There are other success stories this year. Overall, the team has been more competitive, even though their record doesn't reflect that at first glance. Body language has been really positive and it's an improvement on the Tocchet years. For a purposeful tank it has been relatively painless.

Crouse has stepped up in the leadership vacuum and played more consistently. He was capable of being a passenger in previous years, but that was the story for half the roster. Now that he is emerging as a leader (and it being a contract year doesn't hurt) he looks much better overall.

I think the core of your post is "is this sustainable" and I'd say absolutely. I had previously advocated for dumping Crouse but he has really come around with some real coaching and I'll be pretty mad if they just trade him for a 1st round pick. We already lost Garland by strapping him to the OEL contract.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I am trying to remember, was Crouse traded from Florida so the Yotes would eat Bollands contract?

And they repeated the playbook in 2016 when they took on Datsyuk and manufactured Chychrun out of it.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Would be such a typical Tampa Bay move to make……the exact right one! Crouse would be a solid addition. The Panthers are going to be a “tough”out this year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
WIth the news that the Tempe Arena plans are in jeopardy, they are just preparing for the inevitable move. IF you have no players at the end of the season it is way easier to relocate.

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I really hope that the leafs management wakes up and realizes this should be their guy over any other forward. He does it all and would fit nicely in the top 6 to compliment what they lack. And his cap hit is a huge plus. He's not a rental no off ice issues like kane this should be who they target. I feel what he's doing this year is what I would bet on who he is. I think he's worth that risk. I feel he's worth a 1st plus a B level prospect and I would even add to that. A roster player to make the cap work.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really hope that the leafs management wakes up and realizes this should be their guy over any other forward. He does it all and would nicely fit in the top 6 to compliment what they lack. And his cap hit is a huge plus. He's not a rental no off ice issues like kane this should be who they target. I feel what he's doing this year is what I would bet on who he is. I think he's worth that risk. I feel he's worth a 1st plus a B level prospect and I would even add to that. A roster player to make make cap work.

Crouse alongside Matthews as his "John Leclair" could be an interesting experiment.

Reactions: MattyNew91

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

This year:
View attachment 497267

Last three years:

View attachment 497268
It's been mentioned 2x but I think you want some elaboration in a different way. Yes, the coach is the reason because he's put Crouse into a system that allows Crouse the opportunity to make the smart, physical plays that he makes, and the rest of the team is not completely disfunction behind him. Crouse can chase guys now, he can drive offense if he chooses, he's not stuck trying to look out for his goalie all the time. We sat and watched our entire team lollygag their way through seasons, make horrible decisions with and without the puck, and on countless occasions, look absolutely miserable to be playing for RT. Removing RT was the single greatest thing to happen to Crouse's game in the NHL. Everyone knows where they are supposed to be and are now given smart options for plays. That gives Crouse confidence in his team and allows him to make plays he'd otherwise view as too risky. That's what has changed.

We are so, so bad on paper but we look 100x the team we have the last 4 years because RT is no longer telling players to do dumb things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad