Friedman: "Eastern Conf. Exec" Betting on Crouse to TBL

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Considering giving up 1sts for 3rd liners has worked wonders for them recently, wouldn't be surprised if Tampa does it again on whoever they feel is a good fit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Add a pick? Thompson, Katchouk and a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if they win the cup or something?

Ya, that looks more reasonable. I think there would be plenty of offers like that - from the Avs i'd offer Behrens + Kaut/Jost/Compher/Ranta + cond. pick as well.

If Crouse is the target for Tampa, I think they'd be willing to outbid other teams and it ends up similar to the Goodrow trade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are these players all asking to leave Arizona? Because if not and thus 23 year old Chychrun and 24 year old Crouse are too old for the orgs rebuilding plans... Idk man. Even a scorched earth rebuild needs some talent to shelter and develop the next gen.
Bingo! I guess GMBA thinks otherwise.:dunno:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Add a pick? Thompson, Katchouk and a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if they win the cup or something?

That 3rd would need to go to a 3rd team for 50% retention. Don't think you want to waste your last retention spot on Crouse. But if it only took Katchouk + Thompson + 3rd I'm sure Tampa would make that trade. They like Thompson a lot but he's not helping for a few years and they want help now.

What would Crouse want in a contract after this year? Would seem like he would be replacing Palat after this year I the top 6 as we won't be able to retain him unless he takes a huge paycut.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yep. And then using this massive pool of newly acquired prospect depth wisely in future trades to pull out of the tank.
That’s the more challenging part though. Hopefully Arizona has good enough scouting and development.

But yes, this is what Chayka should’ve done.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That 3rd would need to go to a 3rd team for 50% retention. Don't think you want to waste your last retention spot on Crouse. But if it only took Katchouk + Thompson + 3rd I'm sure Tampa would make that trade. They like Thompson a lot but he's not helping for a few years and they want help now.

What would Crouse want in a contract after this year? Would seem like he would be replacing Palat after this year I the top 6 as we won't be able to retain him unless he takes a huge paycut.

I imagine if he'd take a fairly cheap bridge if it's on Tampa - something like 1-2 x $2-3 mil and first crack to play in the top 6 next year. Brings him to UFA and sets him up for a big payday if he cements himself.

Tampa would probably have to facilitate the extra retention cost from a 3rd team, but I imagine the cost would be pretty minimal.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Considering giving up 1sts for 3rd liners has worked wonders for them recently, wouldn't be surprised if Tampa does it again on whoever they feel is a good fit.
Well they’re not going to get the same value per dollar from Crouse for multiple years like they did with Coleman and Goodrow

Reactions: BeltCollector

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I imagine if he'd take a fairly cheap bridge if it's on Tampa - something like 2 x $2-3 mil and first crack to play in the top 6 next year. Brings him to UFA and sets him up for a big payday if he cements himself.

Tampa would probably have to facilitate the retention, but I imagine the cost would be pretty minimal.

I would hate to give him 2 years to send him to UFA but if got him to take 2M I would take that risk. Would be great value for the money those 2 years when our window is most open.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I would hate to give him 2 years to send him to UFA but if got him to take 2M I would take that risk. Would be great value for the money those 2 years when our window is most open.

I forgot to add the 1-2 yr part, I think it's either 1 yr x $2 mil or 2 yr x $3 mil type of deal - but either way it would be a very similar setup to the Goodrow trade. Basically a rental that fits into Tampa's cap structure for 2 cup runs.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Not sure that Tampa wants to move their best RD prospect in this deal, given their lack of depth at the position. If Brisebois is determined to get Crouse though, who knows. I could see Tampa offering their 1st+one of Joseph/Raddysh/Katchouk for Crouse and a 3rd, with Tampa adding a mid pick or decent F prospect as needed if there’s a bidding war(and for retention purposes) that requires it. The other issue for Tampa is they would need Arizona to retain on Crouse, or they would have to make another move 1st in order to make the cap work(assuming no one is on ltir by the tdl). It would be difficult but not impossible, and Brisebois has been willing to win bidding wars as of late for players he thinks will help.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Coleman & Goodrow weren’t rentals and their value contracts were critical for the next season.

Brisebois did rent Savard but defensive depth was always a bigger issue. I do see him as big rental enthusiast.

Crouse is a RFA with arbitration rights. If they can keep Crouse then it’s a fantastic pick-up, it’s less exciting as a rental. Tampa gets guys on good deals obviously and Crouse might be pretty open to that sort of thing considering where he’s coming from. It’s a question of making the money work.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Tampa scared of Panthers that they need to buff up :)

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don’t know how anyone can stay a Coyotes fan if all these trades go down. Seems like they’re modeling themselves after the Sabres. Even if they land Wright or Bedard, I can easily see them not living up to expectations given they’ll have nothing to work with and be an absolute joke of a team during their developmental years.

Reactions: TML1990

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I don’t know how anyone can stay a Coyotes fan if all these trades go down. Seems like they’re modeling themselves after the Sabres. Even if they land Wright or Bedard, I can easily see them not living up to expectations given they’ll have nothing to work with and be an absolute joke of a team during their developmental years.
I think the thought process is that acquiring the absolutely insane amount of picks the coyotes have has a purpose. Not all prospects can sign ELCs, so if you can build up an insane prospect pool or equally insane glut of picks, those can then eventually be packaged for players that can help accelerate the rebuild.

The expectation for coyotes fans right now is that next season will also be miserable, but the hope is if a little lottery luck happens and Armstrong can swing some shrewd trades, they can start pulling out of the rebuild after the 2023 draft. Who knows, though...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

If these players want out, what other options do you have?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If these players want out, what other options do you have?

The only player that "wanted out" was OEL and the feeling was more than mutual from management.

AZ is simply selling high on anything possible because the plan is to tank this year and next. Player values will drop in that environment. Chychrun is worth a lot at his AAV and every team can fit Crouse at the deadline. It's not that complicated.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its not rocket science to know what this is about.

washington-capitals-right-wing-tom-wilson-punches-tampa-bay-lightning-picture-id1130866816

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
On 32 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman said an Exec from an Eastern Conference NHL team that could "face Tampa in the playoffs" offered to bet Friedman that Lawson Crouse would end up playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning this season.

Crouse is not a household name, but we LOVE him in Arizona. He's a 24 year old, former 11th overall pick of the Florida Panthers.

-In his last 82 NHL games he's had 13g 17a 30pts 242‬ hits and 5 fighting majors.

-In THIS season his per 82 game pace is 23g, 21a, 44pts, 223 hits, and 4 fighting majors.

Other Notes:
- He's 6'4 225lbs and skates very well. He's seen as a leader, and a protector (his nickname is "The Sheriff"). He plays a power game, and really utilizes his size physically.

- He's a responsible three-zone player and plays regularly on the the PK (he's first among ALL Coyotes forwards in short-handed minutes played - 4th in PP mins), and is deployed in all-three zones.

- He's got the 2nd best +/- of any Coyotes forward with at least 20gp and at least 10min/gp.

Here's a question. Crouse has been really good this year. Substantially better than in previous years. His even strength offensive game is spiking compared to his previous career. What do you see about his game being different this year? I know bruins fans want him bc he punches people. It's exhausting. I would love him if he's the player we're seeing this year and it wasnt just some kind of shooting percentage mirage. I just haven't watched many Coyotes games so I don't know. Whats different?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I've been trying to find a comparable but it's hard. Foligno last year? He got a 1st and 4th with retention.
Foligno gets thrown around here as a value comparison for these bottom/middle six checking forwards but he's not a fair precedent.

Foligno was the product of a TDL bidding war with multiple teams offering 1st round picks. He was the only captain available on the market and his price was insanely inflated by intangibles. Considered one of the best vocal leaders at the time and his decline was masked by a strong qualifier series against TOR.

Crouse checks a lot of the same boxes and is younger, but he doesn't have the same league-wide recognition as a leader so i'd guess a 1st is the ballpark price. Similar pedigree and physicality to a Sam Bennett, but more productive season preceding the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad