Friedman: "Eastern Conf. Exec" Betting on Crouse to TBL

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If the Lightning keep trading away high picks, they are setting themselves up for years of suckage once the core gets older or key players get injured.

Savard, Goodrow, Coleman all came at significant costs, and none are with the team any longer.

Crouse as a ufa at the end of the year for a 1st is lunacy.
Won Cup. Don't care.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
As a Tampa fan, I don't care how bad they are once the core is done because they'll have at least 2 Cups to show for it. That gives them a whole lotta rope with me.

So trade as many picks and prospects as they want to give them the best shot at more Cups while they can.

As a Vancouver fan, would trade all futures for one cup, much less two. Sadly we traded our futures for... nothing.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Who cares how much we suck in, say, five years? We should be doing all we can to maximize the chances for more Cups while the core is still in their primes.

Yea I agree. I want to look back at this core in as positive a light as possible. They've already had several shots at it. 2 times is good but compared to how many times they went far and couldn't close the deal? Sounds ridiculous to complain about when you win 2 but it shouldn't be surprising we want more. We might not get it this year but we still have a good core to build around but who knows how long they will be around for. Things happen all the time.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If the Lightning keep trading away high picks, they are setting themselves up for years of suckage once the core gets older or key players get injured.

Savard, Goodrow, Coleman all came at significant costs, and none are with the team any longer.

Crouse as a ufa at the end of the year for a 1st is lunacy.
It's unfortunate Tampa couldn't keep either of those assets on cost-controlled deals but they have had a pretty constant stream of prospects coming through Syracuse.
Raddysh and Katchouk who are both on the team this year come with insane cost-controlled deals for another two years, and they both have pedigree as scorers at lower levels.
Likewise at defense with Cal Foote, they will have him on his entry-level deal for this season and next.
And that's just the top of their prospect iceberg of which includes names like Goncalves, Finley, Thompson in the 19-20 age group.
Their overall contract management is really good - most of their stars don't have punishing deals that go t0o long.
They will probably have to make a decision on McDonagh soon, who is signed deeper into his 30s than anyone else. McDonagh has always played a responsible game so I could also see him eating cap but nonetheless playing quality NHL minutes in deeper pairings and on the PK.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
It's unfortunate Tampa couldn't keep either of those assets on cost-controlled deals but they have had a pretty constant stream of prospects coming through Syracuse.
Raddysh and Katchouk who are both on the team this year come with insane cost-controlled deals for another two years, and they both have pedigree as scorers at lower levels.
Likewise at defense with Cal Foote, they will have him on his entry-level deal for this season and next.
And that's just the top of their prospect iceberg of which includes names like Goncalves, Finley, Thompson in the 19-20 age group.
Their overall contract management is really good - most of their stars don't have punishing deals that go t0o long.
They will probably have to make a decision on McDonagh soon, who is signed deeper into his 30s than anyone else. McDonagh has always played a responsible game so I could also see him eating cap but nonetheless playing quality NHL minutes in deeper pairings and on the PK.
If he'd agree to a trade in the same vein that Johnson did, he could bring non-trivial assets back (especially if he has another postseason performance like last year).

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
On 32 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman said an Exec from an Eastern Conference NHL team that could "face Tampa in the playoffs" offered to bet Friedman that Lawson Crouse would end up playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning this season.

Crouse is not a household name, but we LOVE him in Arizona. He's a 24 year old, former 11th overall pick of the Florida Panthers.

-In his last 82 NHL games he's had 13g 17a 30pts 242‬ hits and 5 fighting majors.

-In THIS season his per 82 game pace is 23g, 21a, 44pts, 223 hits, and 4 fighting majors.

Other Notes:
- He's 6'4 225lbs and skates very well. He's seen as a leader, and a protector (his nickname is "The Sheriff"). He plays a power game, and really utilizes his size physically.

- He's a responsible three-zone player and plays regularly on the the PK (he's first among ALL Coyotes forwards in short-handed minutes played - 4th in PP mins), and is deployed in all-three zones.

- He's got the 2nd best +/- of any Coyotes forward with at least 20gp and at least 10min/gp.
Seems like a fantastic fit tbh. He's the type of player they need on the third line to replace Goodrow, and, when they aren't able to re-sign Palat and Maroon, he's still under team control.

Ross Colton and a conditional 2023 pick. If Crouse scores 30 points in the 2022-23 season, it's a 1st Rounder. If he doesn't, it's a 2nd Rounder.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Seems like a fantastic fit tbh. He's the type of player they need on the third line to replace Goodrow, and, when they aren't able to re-sign Palat and Maroon, he's still under team control.

Ross Colton and a conditional 2023 pick. If Crouse scores 30 points in the 2022-23 season, it's a 1st Rounder. If he doesn't, it's a 2nd Rounder.
I don't believe Arizona is looking for deals centered around 25 year old players like Ross Colton. If it's simply at 2022 1st with Colton (to make the cap work), and we forget about the conditions and sliding a year, this probably works okay.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I don't believe Arizona is looking for deals centered around 25 year old players like Ross Colton. If it's simply at 2022 1st with Colton (to make the cap work), and we forget about the conditions and sliding a year, this probably works okay.
Yeah I was looking at Colton for cap reasons.
But I still think that condition should matter. If I were Tampa, I wouldn't want to give up an unconditional 1st for Crouse. Not nearly enough sample size of him being an impact player. Even when I've seen him play this year (which is very, very few times) he doesn't stand out.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
But I still think that condition should matter. If I were Tampa, I wouldn't want to give up an unconditional 1st for Crouse. Not nearly enough sample size of him being an impact player. Even when I've seen him play this year (which is very, very few times) he doesn't stand out.
It feels like our scouts are pretty bang on in the last few years in terms of picking out players that can succeed in our system (ABB being a notable exception).

EDIT: That is to say, if we're giving up what is likely a very late 1st then they're probably pretty confident in what they're getting.

Reactions: BeltCollector

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He stands out every time I see him play. He’s 24 and he’s absolutely worth an unconditional 1st from a Cup favorite.

-In his last 82 NHL games he's had 13g 17a 30pts 242‬ hits and 5 fighting majors.

-In THIS season his per 82 game pace is 23g, 21a, 44pts, 223 hits, and 4 fighting majors.

- He’s 1st among all Coyotes forwards in PK minutes played.

- He's got the 2nd best +/- of any Coyotes forward with at least 20gp and at least 10min/gp.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He stands out every time I see him play. He’s 24 and he’s absolutely worth an unconditional 1st from a Cup favorite.

- He’s 1st among all Coyotes forwards in PK minutes played.

Colton is 25

He's only played 64 NHL games but he's had 13g 13a 26p 109 hits and 1 fighting major

In this season his per 82 game pace is 10g, 24a, 34p, 176 hits and 2 fighting majors

He plays 2 minutes less a game at even strength.

Crouse is the better player and plays a style of game that we lack but why are we adding a 1st to a guy who isn't that much worse and has upside himself? I would like to add Crouse but not at the expense of a guy like Colton who seems like an ideal 3C going forward and keeps getting better every season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
On 32 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman said an Exec from an Eastern Conference NHL team that could "face Tampa in the playoffs" offered to bet Friedman that Lawson Crouse would end up playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning this season.

Crouse is not a household name, but we LOVE him in Arizona. He's a 24 year old, former 11th overall pick of the Florida Panthers.

Other Notes:
- He's 6'4 225lbs and skates very well. He's seen as a leader, and a protector (his nickname is "The Sheriff"). He plays a power game, and really utilizes his size physically.

- He's a responsible three-zone player and plays regularly on the the PK (he's first among ALL Coyotes forwards in short-handed minutes played - 4th in PP mins), and is deployed in all-three zones.

Who is this Crawson Louse you speak of? He's never come up on HF Avalanche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad