Speculation: Early predictions: contracts for UFAs and RFAs next year

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Now that the season is pretty much over, it's time to take a look at this summer cause there's a lot of work to be done with this roster.

Armia is RFA and coming out of $1.85M contract.
Weal is UFA and coming out of a $1,75M contract.
Thompson is UFA and coming out of a $1.65M contract
Lehkonen is RFA and coming out of his ELC deal
Hudon is RFA and coming out of a 650K deal
Benn is UFA and coming out of $1.1M deal
Kulak is RFA and coming out of 900K deal
Folin is UFA and was earning 650K
Reilly is RFA and was earning 900K
Niemi is UFA and was on a 950K deal

Remember that to this day, there's only 6 rosters spot available considering only one of Poehling, Suzuki, Juulsen or Brooks makes the team.

There's probably some decision also to be made on players with deal in place for next year but are not contributing to the team's success:

Deslauriers = 1 year left
Peca = 1 year left
Weise = 1 year left

So who do you keep, Who do you let go?
I'd trade Deslauriers, Peca and Weise. Even if it's for a 7th round pick.

Sign Armia, Weal, Thompson, Lehkonen, Hudon, Benn, Kulak, Folin.

I would let Niemi walk. With Reilly I'm wondering if we can sign him and then trade him. Even if it's for a 7th round pick.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I love the Ironic spot of most everyone wanting to trade Drouin for EXACTLY what we traded away for him :laugh::nod:

I don't think Drouin is traded by MB outside of a Overpayment or if Alzner is included

Outside of that what most people are saying is probably happening .
Niemi will be gone Armia and co will be tendered

FA will be interesting because we have money and pressure will be reapplied on MB after the year we had .

I am most excited for Laval if Suzuki and Peohling both start next year in Laval .

Sergachev is not and will never be a #1 LD.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Julien will have his way. He knows Drouin is full of ****.
I was thinking the other day if this organization was adverse to trading a Quebecois "star". Off the top of my head I came up with Damphousse, Turgeon, Richer and I guess you can add Roy into that list even though he forced their hand. Maybe he's out. I hope he's gone. I hope fans see Danault as a bigger star than this overrated player.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Now that the season is pretty much over, it's time to take a look at this summer cause there's a lot of work to be done with this roster.

Armia is RFA and coming out of $1.85M contract.[Staying unless used in a package deal for a big piece]
Weal is UFA and coming out of a $1,75M contract.[Toss Up]
Thompson is UFA and coming out of a $1.65M contract[Leaving]
Lehkonen is RFA and coming out of his ELC deal
[Staying unless used in a package deal for a big piece]
Hudon is RFA and coming out of a 650K deal
[Leaving]
Benn is UFA and coming out of $1.1M deal
[Toss Up]
Kulak is RFA and coming out of 900K deal[Staying]
Folin is UFA and was earning 650K
[Leaving]
Reilly is RFA and was earning 900K
[Leaving]
Niemi is UFA and was on a 950K deal
[Leaving]

Remember that to this day, there's only 6 rosters spot available considering only one of Poehling, Suzuki, Juulsen or Brooks makes the team.

There's probably some decision also to be made on players with deal in place for next year but are not contributing to the team's success:

Deslauriers = 1 year left
[Traded or AHL]
Peca = 1 year left[Traded or depth]
Weise = 1 year left[AHL/NHL with injuries]

So who do you keep, Who do you let go?

I very much doubt that a guy like Drouin gets traded, just because the return isn't going to be what Montreal paid for him. You aren't going to get top pair LD or a young player with LHD potential.

Maybe you can pull off a Domi-Chucky type deal or a team might be willing to accept a package centered around him. But teams don't tend to value one-dimensional undersized wingers nearly as much as D that can effectively play the first pair. Even ones with the raw talent Drouin has.

Habs are probably best off accepting the sunk cost and not trying to fix it.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Lmao still at it huh ?
Although I don't agree with Mariolemieux66, I can see his point. With those two players the Habs have a two year window. MB needs to build a contender for next year. That will give him next year and the following year to win with those two players. After that I can see them sliding. Maybe it'll be just a little bit. Maybe it'll be a landslide but they'll definitely slide after two years.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think in terms of major moves, Duchene will be targeted in UFA, and Drouin will be moved in a Galchenyuk like deal. Maybe Juolevi? Outside of that, I think the most interesting decision will be whether to sell high on Petry- he should fetch a monster return, and we have plenty of RHDs coming up. I’m hoping the kids can push and make the roster. I could see something like

Duchene?-Domi-Shaw
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Armia
Suzuki-Poehling-Weal

Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry?
Juolevi-Juulsen/Brook/Fleury

Price
Lindgren

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Armia is RFA and coming out of $1.85M contract. - Staying
Weal is UFA and coming out of a $1,75M contract. - Staying
Thompson is UFA and coming out of a $1.65M contract - Leaving
Lehkonen is RFA and coming out of his ELC deal - Staying
Hudon is RFA and coming out of a 650K deal - Leaving
Benn is UFA and coming out of $1.1M deal - Leaving
Kulak is RFA and coming out of 900K deal - Staying
Folin is UFA and was earning 650K - Leaving
Reilly is RFA and was earning 900K - Leaving
Niemi is UFA and was on a 950K deal - Leaving

So of our free agents, I can see us keeping four of them. Maybe Hudon will be qualified but I doubt he plays another game with the Habs.

Pretty much this.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I'd sign Armia, Weal, Lehkonen, Benn, Kulak, Folin, Reilly. One of Benn, Folin or Reilly would have to get cut for next year.

I'd invite Thompson to training camp with a PTO.

I'd say goodbye to Niemi and Hudon, even though I would have like to see more of Hudon during the year. Most probably Lindgren will be there next year.

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
Although I don't agree with Mariolemieux66, I can see his point. With those two players the Habs have a two year window. MB needs to build a contender for next year. That will give him next year and the following year to win with those two players. After that I can see them sliding. Maybe it'll be just a little bit. Maybe it'll be a landslide but they'll definitely slide after two years.
So Brodeur slid ? No you nees leaders and experience. Price has no movement he is not going anywhere. Weber is more important then people say. Its mainly people still harping on the famous trade

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Everybody. 'Cause it's part of the plan. And it's going well we did better than expected. So next year, just to be sure we will be satisfied....let's expect 50 points. Everything more will be a huge success!!!

They will be back:
Every guy under contract except Peca and these RFA's : Armia, Lehkonen, Kulak,
Weal
Thompson (they will think it's better for Poehling to start in the AHL)
Benn
Folin

Won't be back:
Hudon
Niemi
Reilly
Peca (traded for a pick or in a package)

Unknown
Kotkaniemi (AHL bound? Would people be surprised by that?)
Mete (AHL bound depending of the trades this summer?)
Drouin (can a trade happen?)

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Drouin is staying with the team.
He is 24 and produced ~50 in the last 3 seasons.
It's not bad. He is still a project.

I'd be shocked if they trade him

Hopefully Hudon becomes UFA.
Weal replaces Peca, Peca traded or buried AHL.

Reilly will stay. 25, decent bottom D.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Drouin is staying with the team.
He is 24 and produced ~50 in the last 3 seasons.
It's not bad. He is still a project.

I'd be shocked if they trade him

Hopefully Hudon becomes UFA.
Weal replaces Peca, Peca traded or buried AHL.

Reilly will stay. 25, decent bottom D.

Don't hold your breath. He will not be qualified.

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
Safe to say Kulak is returning and I would keep Benn or Folin for 6th-7th d-man at least.

Mete-Petry
Kulak-Weber
??-Juulsen
Benn/Folin
Need a major upgrade in the top 4. With this D, playoffs won't happen again next year.

That in addition to size up front and a quality backup goalie who can play 25 games. I would actually see if we could pry C Anderson from the Sens.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Need a major upgrade in the top 4. With this D, playoffs won't happen again next year.

That in addition to size up front and a quality backup goalie who can play 25 games. I would actually see if we could pry C Anderson from the Sens.

Agree, but I would try some short term solutions until Brook and Romanov are ready.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I didnt say otherwise. You know there are 30 #1 Ds in the league. You used two of the best to cover your bases for "#1D". You refered to two FRANCHISE dmen.

McDonaugh was #1 with NY yet he's no Hedman.

Nobody ever said he'd be Hedman.

Hahah funny. Sure, Sergachev could a #1d on a last place team.

EDIT. This year's last placed team, Ottawa Senators. Who's better Sergachev or Chabot?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not much of an inspiring list one way or the other. It does speak volumes about why we are stuck in mediocrity however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad