Speculation: Early predictions: contracts for UFAs and RFAs next year

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Some players need a new contract next year. It's still early in the year, so I thought it might be fun to predict what will happen with our UFAs and RFAs will get on their next contract.

Up for renewal:

UFA:
Plekanec
Benn
Niemi

RFA:
Armia
Scherbak
Lehkonen
Hudon
Reilly
Ouellet

Without much thoughts or research, my predictions:

UFA:
Plekanec: Traded at the deadline. Won't come back
Benn: Not re-signed
Niemi: Not-resigned

RFA:
Armia: One year contract, 2,8 milllions.
Scherbak: Already traded or lost to waivers.
Lehkonen: Re-signed 5 years, 3,6 millions AAV.
Hudon: Re-signed 3 years, 2,2 millions AAV
Reilly: Re-signed 3 years, 3,5 millions AAV.
Ouellet: One year contract, 1,2 milllion.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Id look to trade Ouellet tbh. He's okayish as a bottom pair guy buy not really worth a one-way contract imo with our glut of NHL tweeners and the Alzner question... a youngster or one of the Czech dmen can do his job.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Id look to trade Ouellet tbh. He's okayish as a bottom pair guy buy not really worth a one-way contract imo with our glut of NHL tweeners and the Alzner question... a youngster or one of the Czech dmen can do his job.
I would too, but that's what I think will happen.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
UFA:
Plekanec: Not re-signed

I see us being stubborn all season and I fear we may even be buyers at the TDL.

RFA:
Scherbak: TRADED!
Ouellet: Not re-signed

Dollar-wise, I am with @Harpo. I do see Scherbak gone though, IF we are buyers like I said earlier. Even if we end up being sellers, I don’t think he is going to crack the roster. Ouellet I don’t see sticking around.​

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Only Niemi has a chance at coming back on a one year contract. That'll depend on how he plays this year and if they believe Lindgren can back up.

Scherbak will be gone. Poehling might just step into the NHL next year. There's barely room for Scherbak now.

Armia, Lehkonen and Reilly are the only sure things.

50/50 that they retain Hudon and Ouellet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
way too early to say, as the season goes on we'll see what happens to the team.

UFA:

Plekanec - retired
Benn - traded or walks
Niemi - gone
Agostino - gone

RFA:
Armia - resigned
Scherbak - traded
Lehkonen - resigned
Hudon - resigned maybe traded
Reilly - resigned
Ouellet - maybe gone
McCarron - early yet but re-signed if he keeps it up
Audette- gone
Shinkaruk - gone
Kulak - resigned
Olofsson - resigned maybe depending on injuries
Lernout - resigned most likely

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
UFA:
Plekanec: Not re-signed

I see us being stubborn all season and I fear we may even be buyers at the TDL.

RFA:
Scherbak: TRADED!
Ouellet: Not re-signed

Dollar-wise, I am with @Harpo. I do see Scherbak gone though, IF we are buyers like I said earlier. Even if we end up being sellers, I don’t think he is going to crack the roster. Ouellet I don’t see sticking around.​

I dont see why Lekohen deserves close to 4m and Armia 3m lmao awful signs

Reactions: Habs76

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'm starting to think the Habs should take a look at signing Kevin Hancock. I know he's an overager but his play this year is impressive and he has chemistry with Suzuki.
We need our contracts tho when the draft is over and or to ink some recently drafted youngsters like Poehling.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We need our contracts tho when the draft is over and or to ink some recently drafted youngsters like Poehling.

I'm sure we'll look at a few undrafted UFA's as we should have a good amount of room and that's if we don't trade a few players later this year. Here's who's under contract,

G - Price, Lindgren, McNiven (3)

D - Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, Alzner, Brook, Fleury, Sklenicka, Moravcik, Schlemko (10)

F - Drouin, Tatar, Shaw, Gallagher, Domi, Danault, Peca, DLO, Kotka, Byron, Evans, Suzuki, Vejdemo, Verbeek, Waked, Alain, Teasdale, Pezzetta, Chaput (19)

So that's 32 contracts. Then,

UFA - Agostino, Benn, Niemi, Froese (say all are gone)

RFA - Armia, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon, McCarron, Reilly, Ouellet, Audette, Shinkaruk, Kulak, Olofsson (defense), Lernout. (now say 7 of them are back, Armia, Lek, Hudon, McCarron, Reilly, Kulak, Ouellet)

So that would be 39 contracts.

Needing contracts,

Tyszka, Walford, Koberstein, so that would be 1 or 2 contract spots, I'll guess 2. So we would be at 41. We'll need another goalie, maybe Harvey from the Q who was at our development camp, a few defensemen. That would put us around 44/45.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'm sure we'll look at a few undrafted UFA's as we should have a good amount of room and that's if we don't trade a few players later this year. Here's who's under contract,

D - Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, Alzner, Brook, Fleury, Sklenicka, Moravcik, Schlemko (10)

F - Drouin, Tatar, Shaw, Gallagher, Domi, Danault, Peca, DLO, Kotka, Byron, Evans, Suzuki, Vejdemo, Verbeek, Waked, Alain, Teasdale, Pezzetta, Chaput (19)

RFA - Armia, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon, McCarron, Reilly, Ouellet, Audette, Shinkaruk, Kulak, Olofsson (defense), Lernout. (now say 7 of them are back, Armia, Lek, Hudon, McCarron, Reilly, Kulak, Ouellet)

Needing contracts,

Tyszka, Walford, Koberstein, so that would be 1 or 2 contract spots, I'll guess 2. So we would be at 41. We'll need another goalie, maybe Harvey from the Q who was at our development camp, a few defensemen. That would put us around 44/45.
Plus for next years draft prospects

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa

Needing contracts,

Even if you don't re-sign Agostino and Froese, you will need to sign AHL vets to replace them, and all the good AHL vets will demand a 2-way NHL deal, you also forgot Poehling.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even if you don't re-sign Agostino and Froese, you will need to sign AHL vets to replace them, and all the good AHL vets will demand a 2-way NHL deal, you also forgot Poehling.

yes and they will have around 39 contracts but if this team struggles as the season goes on who's to say if they don't trade a few players. Petry, Schlemko, Shaw, etc.. We should have decent enough room. For Laval they should be looking at,

Evans, Alain, Chaput, Vejdemo, Pezzetta, Verbeek, Waked, Teasdale, maybe one or two guys on AHL contracts (Belzile, Martineau types). Then there's Poehling, Suzuki who would be there. So that would be 10 forwards, they will need 2 or 3 plus an AHL contract or two or three.

On defense with Kulak (assuming he's resigned), Fleury, Brook, Tyszka, Sklenicka, Moracvik, plus if they sign Walford. There's Larmarche, Lernout as maybe they want to bring one back. Clearly spots on the blueline will be tight.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
if they are CHLers and don't make the NHL their contracts won't count against the 50 limit. So only Euro picks would count.
but ur disregarding the chances of drafting in the top 10, and even winning the lottery (which is obviously possible as long as we dont make the playoffs), and drafting a CHL NHL-ready. It doesnt matter how low the chances when and if it happens.
So yeah really no space to hand out freebies to overagers. Sign them ONLY if they deserve it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
but ur disregarding the chances of drafting in the top 10, and even winning the lottery (which is obviously possible as long as we dont make the playoffs), and drafting a CHL NHL-ready. It doesnt matter how low the chances when and if it happens.
So yeah really no space to hand out freebies to overagers. Sign them ONLY if they deserve it.

That's still just 1 spot, we should have a good bit of room, if we really struggle that badly then hopefully MB trades a few guys. We are at 45 this year and have never hit the 50 mark so I wouldn't worry about the draft.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That's still just 1 spot, we should have a good bit of room, if we really struggle that badly then hopefully MB trades a few guys. We are at 45 this year and have never hit the 50 mark so I wouldn't worry about the draft.
kk but tbh I would rather prioritize a player like Schuldt than Hancock.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
kk but tbh I would rather prioritize a player like Schuldt than Hancock.

i wouldn't sign either. We need a goalie for sure, maybe two unless they bring Niemi back but I would be surprised. Depending on trades, the blueline spots will be tight. At forward we'll likely need a few players.

On defense it's going to be tight to find ice time for Brook, Fleury, Sklenicka, etc... in Laval. Now maybe they could sign Tyszka and send him back to the dub as an overager and maybe they sign Walford and put him in the ECHL, but you want to make sure you have a good team in Laval but also have the quality ice for top guys like Brook, Fleury.

I could see us being around 48 or so contracts when all is said and done next year. 45 is low but you don't want to be at 49 or 50 and end up giving away a player like Bitten for free instead of picking a player off waivers that they wanted. But we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Legend123

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i wouldn't sign either. We need a goalie for sure, maybe two unless they bring Niemi back but I would be surprised. Depending on trades, the blueline spots will be tight. At forward we'll likely need a few players.

On defense it's going to be tight to find ice time for Brook, Fleury, Sklenicka, etc... in Laval. Now maybe they could sign Tyszka and send him back to the dub as an overager and maybe they sign Walford and put him in the ECHL, but you want to make sure you have a good team in Laval but also have the quality ice for top guys like Brook, Fleury.

I could see us being around 48 or so contracts when all is said and done next year. 45 is low but you don't want to be at 49 or 50 and end up giving away a player like Bitten for free instead of picking a player off waivers that they wanted. But we'll see what happens.
very true but if he Schuldt would want to sign here, why would we say no, I mean he can turn into a gem (small odds but still). Hes been great in college hockey, a much superior league than the OHL. Imo it would be worth signing him, playing him in the A and if he has a good year, keep him within the team. Otherwise, just get rid of him easily.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
very true but if he Schuldt would want to sign here, why would we say no, I mean he can turn into a gem (small odds but still). Hes been great in college hockey, a much superior league than the OHL. Imo it would be worth signing him, playing him in the A and if he has a good year, keep him within the team. Otherwise, just get rid of him easily.

they would need to weight the options, make sure they have enough ice for Brook, Fleury and others. As long as they thought it would work and didn't have better options then by all means sign him as I could see Poehling in Laval next year so it would be good for him to have a teammate with him although I'd still prefer that teammate to be Jackson as long as he picks up the scoring. He's been Poehling's LW for the past 2 years, they always play together, he's got a lethal release on his wrist shot but he's undersized.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Montreal have 5 players that are restricted after this season . Armia , Lehkonen , Hudon , Reilly , Kulak .

Question is who will they resign because each player need to receive qualifying offers from the team or they become unrestricted.

Armia
Currently - 1 850 000 per due 100 % increase ( 3.7 00 000 per )

Lehkonen
Currently - 839 166 per due 105 % increase ( 1.720 290 per )

Hudon
Currently - 650 000 per due 110 % increase ( 1. 365 000 per )

Reilly
Currently - 725 000 per due 105 % increase ( 1.486 250 per )

Kulak
Currently - 900 000 per due 105 % increase ( 1.845 000 per )

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Depending on next summer's moves, do you still see both Reilly and Kulak as part of the roster next year?

Yeah, Hudon is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad