Speculation: Early predictions: contracts for UFAs and RFAs next year

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Who else is there that would sign a 1 year deal? Benn has been with the Habs for a while, I like his chances to sign a 1 year deal instead of anyone else.

Benn will be 32 in a month. Im pretty sure he would prefer length over money in his next contract.

The 3-4 years @ 2.5 M he could get would be much more attractive to him than a 1 year @ 4 M contract

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At 1.3 mil cap hit and only for a year, it's a nice gamble.

a lot of teams are going to be up against the cap so taking a big risk on a guy that hasn't done much in the NHL to date for 1.3M when they likely have their own bubble guys that make less. I would be surprised if a team traded for him but should make it easier for him to clear waivers although I wish they sent him down at some point last year as Laval could have used him badly.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If I was Benn, I would be waiting the two weeks until teams can talk to free agents to see what is out there for him. Won't be surprised to see him get a sweet deal from someone.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
a lot of teams are going to be up against the cap so taking a big risk on a guy that hasn't done much in the NHL to date for 1.3M when they likely have their own bubble guys that make less. I would be surprised if a team traded for him but should make it easier for him to clear waivers although I wish they sent him down at some point last year as Laval could have used him badly.
MB logic right here: Weise, Alzner and Peca buried in the minors.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Laval might of made the playoffs if they had Peca, Hudon and Weise instead of watching games from the press box in the 2nd half.
Weise is done I believe, even for Laval. He had something going here but lost it once he got traded to Chicago, never was the same ever since. Hudon is average even for the AHL. Peca could of done some damage in Laval though.

The thought of the Habs having 3 players on 1 way deals buried in the AHL next year highlights MB's incompetence. The only consolation is that Peca and Weise are gone next summer. What a mess MB did 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure some team will take a gamble on Peca and Hudon. They will get them for free either on waivers or futures. Peca is likely gone at training camp when some team will realize that they need depth. Hudon is probably traded in the coming days for pucks.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Weise is done I believe, even for Laval. He had something going here but lost it once he got traded to Chicago, never was the same ever since. Hudon is average even for the AHL. Peca could of done some damage in Laval though.

The thought of the Habs having 3 players on 1 way deals buried in the AHL next year highlights MB's incompetence. The only consolation is that Peca and Weise are gone next summer. What a mess MB did 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure some team will take a gamble on Peca and Hudon. They will get them for free either on waivers or futures. Peca is likely gone at training camp when some team will realize that they need depth. Hudon is probably traded in the coming days for pucks.

No idea what was the plan when they signed Peca.
That signature was useless and did not fix any needs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Much like the rush to sign Thompson & Weal...

Signing Thompson to be 4C/13-14th forward enables you to have a decent vet at that position so you don't have to pay for it at the TDL (like we did with Moore, Halpern, Thompson). His contract cap hit can be fully buried in the minor if he regress to a point where he is useless.

Weal did very good in 16 games. He probably won't repeat that ppg, but if he can get around 20 points a year, it's a good contract. If he goes down the drain, he goes for 325k on the cap when buried.

Both player wanted to stay and the negociations were probably very fast so I don't see the problem.

I don't see any of the AHL kids taking their spots this year (outside from Poehling but 4th line duties is meh for him) and even then the worst that happens is that 325k of cap is lost.

Unless you think we could have gotten better or equal players for the same cap hit or less, I don't see the problem.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Unless you think we could have gotten better or equal players for the same cap hit or less, I don't see the problem.

Yup. Likely cheaper.

August, September, October... Lots of similar depth players available on waivers or desperate to avoid Europe/AHL.

Same deal every year. Zero need to commit to either of them before the big offseason decisions & spending was done.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yup. Likely cheaper.

August, September, October... Lots of similar depth players available on waivers or desperate to avoid Europe/AHL.

Same deal every year. Zero need to commit to either of them before the big offseason decisions & spending was done.

So you're risking getting lesser players to save at most 300k (minimum salary is 700k for 19-20) on Thompson and 700k on Weal?

You also know that Weal/Thompson fit in the locker room and adhere to the game plan, while you can't be sure of that with random waiver guy #1.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So you're risking getting lesser players to save at most 300k (minimum salary is 700k for 19-20) on Thompson and 700k on Weal?

You also know that Weal/Thompson fit in the locker room and adhere to the game plan, while you can't be sure of that with random waiver guy #1.

Weal/Thompson "fit" in the locker room no better or worse than any depth player does in a few weeks.

Being able to "fit in" is what surviving in the NHL as a depth player is all about.

Plus, we were a non playoff team, the roster heading into next season could, and should, have at least a few significant changes.

Zero value to the "fit" argument.

And yes, when it comes to managing the cap, and you have both need & opportunity to add a significant talent, then every $ of cap space is important... 2.5M$ of flexibility is not insignificant.
Yes, the roster spots eventually need to get filled, but again, there was zero reason or need to do so when he did.

Timing is an important aspect of roster management, just one of many that MB is clueless or unskilled at.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Weal/Thompson "fit" in the locker room no better or worse than any depth player does in a few weeks.

Being able to "fit in" is what surviving in the NHL as a depth player is all about.

Plus, we were a non playoff team, the roster heading into next season could, and should, have at least a few significant changes.

Zero value to the "fit" argument.

And yes, when it comes to managing the cap, and you have both need & opportunity to add a significant talent, then every $ of cap space is important... 2.5M$ of flexibility is not insignificant.
Yes, the roster spots eventually need to get filled, but again, there was zero reason or need to do so when he did.

Timing is an important aspect of roster management, just one of many that MB is clueless or unskilled at.
4th is not really where we need improvement. We need better LD and backup mostly.
It's also 1M$ flexibility at best if you sign 2 minimum salary players instead. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
4th is not really where we need improvement. We need better LD and backup mostly.
It's also 1M$ flexibility at best if you sign 2 minimum salary players instead. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's 2.5M in flexibility until the first day of the season... Yes, we need a full roster, so at least 1.4M would need to be there for the last two roster spots, but the flexibility of working with the 2.5M is/would've been easier to navigate the summer roster opportunities. Come September, back fill depth roster spots as needed then, vs being stuck having to unload the extra cap if we actually do manage to land some talent.

I really hate this silly notion that all of these mistakes are "no big deal". That's precisely MB's mindset, and why he's so poor as a manager.

Devil is in the details...
Game of inches....
Everything counts...

Pick your cliche. Point isn't that this was a "major" blunder, so no, no one is making it a "big deal".

Point is that it was unecessary, and not a strategic or wise roster management decision. Bad decisions are bad decisions, why bother trying to rationalize or excuse them?

Also agree that the 4th line was/is not an area of need... Which further highlights the uselessness of rushing to sign 2! 4th line players to anything but league minimum.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's 2.5M in flexibility until the first day of the season... Yes, we need a full roster, so at least 1.4M would need to be there for the last two roster spots, but the flexibility of working with the 2.5M is/would've been easier to navigate the summer roster opportunities. Come September, back fill depth roster spots as needed then, vs being stuck having to unload the extra cap if we actually do manage to land some talent.

I really hate this silly notion that all of these mistakes are "no big deal". That's precisely MB's mindset, and why he's so poor as a manager.

Devil is in the details...
Game of inches....
Everything counts...

Pick your cliche. Point isn't that this was a "major" blunder, so no, no one is making it a "big deal".

Point is that it was unecessary, and not a strategic or wise roster management decision. Bad decisions are bad decisions, why bother trying to rationalize or excuse them?

Also agree that the 4th line was/is not an area of need... Which further highlights the uselessness of rushing to sign 2! 4th line players to anything but league minimum.
You can go over the cap during the summer. :dunno:
I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I think Weise can be a decent AHLer but we'll see, plus he could be a good leader for all the young forwards. I could see him on a line with Evans and McCarron, think they would do well.

Peca I just don't see teams jumping at the chance to take on 1.3M in cap space for someone that hasn't done much in the NHL, I fully expect him to clear waivers. Hudon is a little tougher to say, he did really well in his rookie year and then was shit this season so will teams want to take a risk on him, if I'm the Habs I give him a one way, 2 year deal for 1.3M like Peca so that he stands a good shot of playing for Laval as he would be a great addition for them.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I think Weise can be a decent AHLer but we'll see, plus he could be a good leader for all the young forwards. I could see him on a line with Evans and McCarron, think they would do well.

Peca I just don't see teams jumping at the chance to take on 1.3M in cap space for someone that hasn't done much in the NHL, I fully expect him to clear waivers. Hudon is a little tougher to say, he did really well in his rookie year and then was **** this season so will teams want to take a risk on him, if I'm the Habs I give him a one way, 2 year deal for 1.3M like Peca so that he stands a good shot of playing for Laval as he would be a great addition for them.
The Habs will not offer anything to Hudon. They either trade him in the following days or they let him walk by not presenting him with a qualifying offer. He will not accept a 2 way deal to play in Laval. He's still very young and possibly will want to earn a spot on the bottom 9 for any other team.

There's no spot for him here. The bottom 9 is pretty much loaded with Thompson, Weal, Armia, Deslauriers, Lek, Weise, Peca and possibly Poehling. Not to mention that Byron, Danault and KK can also be on the bottom 9 next year. Peca and Weise are likely gone but I see no place for Hudon anywhere. If you give a Peca type deal to Hudon you must guarantee him a spot next year and the possibility of having 4 players in the AHL on NHL deals is something the Habs are likely looking to avoid. There's a likelihood that Peca, Weise and Alzner will be buried in Laval next season. MB must be desperately trying to unload them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

The Habs will not offer anything to Hudon. They either trade him in the following days or they let him walk by not presenting him with a qualifying offer. He will not accept a 2 way deal to play in Laval. He's still very young and possibly will want to earn a spot on the bottom 9 for any other team.

There's no spot for him here. The bottom 9 is pretty much loaded with Thompson, Weal, Armia, Deslauriers, Lek, Weise, Peca and possibly Poehling. Not to mention that Byron, Danault and KK can also be on the bottom 9 next year. Peca and Weise are likely gone but I see no place for Hudon anywhere. If you give a Peca type deal to Hudon you must guarantee him a spot next year and the possibility of having 4 players in the AHL on NHL deals is something the Habs are likely looking to avoid. There's a likelihood that Peca, Weise and Alzner will be buried in Laval next season. MB must be desperately trying to unload them.

if they were going to trade him it would have already been done, teams know if he doesn't sign his QO they can sign him for free. I don't see why he wouldn't accept a two way deal but I would sign him to a one way for 2 years so that teams don't want to take on that cap hit if you give him the Peca deal. Who cares if we have 4 players in the AHL on NHL deals, it's about time they get Laval some help.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
With Hagelin's signature at 4 years 2.75M AAV I think that's a good barometer for the Armia and Lehkonen deals. (I'd give Armia the same deal, and 2.6M to Lehks all over 4 years for each.)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Hagelin's signature at 4 years 2.75M AAV I think that's a good barometer for the Armia and Lehkonen deals. (I'd give Armia the same deal, and 2.6M to Lehks all over 4 years for each.)

I would be fine with that for Armia, I figured he would get around 4 years, maybe closer to 3M since he's 26 and Hagelin will be 31 this summer. Leks I wonder if he'll want a 1 or 2 year deal to show he can do much better or do they just lock him up for 4-5 years.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I would be fine with that for Armia, I figured he would get around 4 years, maybe closer to 3M since he's 26 and Hagelin will be 31 this summer. Leks I wonder if he'll want a 1 or 2 year deal to show he can do much better or do they just lock him up for 4-5 years.

I'd much rather they lock Lehkonen for 4-5 years at a cheap hit. I'd rather avoid the risk of him putting up 20-20/25 in the next two years and go for a 5M+ contract in 2-3 years. Got a feeling you could have him for up to 5 years at 3M AAV (more UFA years bought) as he'll likely look for a bigger contract around age 28-29.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd much rather they lock Lehkonen for 4-5 years at a cheap hit. I'd rather avoid the risk of him putting up 20-20/25 in the next two years and go for a 5M+ contract in 2-3 years. Got a feeling you could have him for up to 5 years at 3M AAV (more UFA years bought) as he'll likely look for a bigger contract around age 28-29.

I think Lehkonen will want a bridge deal. Then, he gets 20 goals he'll get a big contract.
3M AAV seems high for him and we may need the cap space. Remember, Byron only got 3.5 after back to back 20 goal seasons.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'm not too worried about having to pay him more down the road, as I'd rather a player be happy about his contract and it's not like we haven't had a ton of cap space each year. He had such an up and down year I could see him wanting a short term deal but on the other hand he could be trade bait at some point as he should be at RW but not sure he can find a spot there with Gallagher, Armia, Shaw plus perhaps Suzuki who could be a RW in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad