Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
From the first few games I saw...carruthers ok in a 7-2 win with a nice tip in. Arsenault sluggish, Murchison was solid, Hughes nice goal and end to end rush, MacLean still out?, Todd with 2 goal scorers goal, and savoie with 2 goals in a lopsided win. Moncton has a few d to watch, all of them need work but lots of upside. Lane George was solid again.

Reactions: Lap2000

MARITIMESHOCKI

Nov 7, 2019
Remember one thing guys that this years Draft will be very complicated why you say?

Luneau committed to NCAA D1 will he d-commit and play Gatineau ?
Dumais ? at South Kent will he continue to play US route?
Lastarza ? Shatuuck SAME
Ryan Hopkins ? Stanstead
Mastrodomenico ? Not sure on the players angle
Jake Furlong ? Mount St-Charles will he continue US route?

Most Quebec/Maritimes players will move up in the draft that have no chance to go south!
I see : Carruthers-Warren- Andrews- Swan - Verrault - cote move up in draft....Many uncertain predictions.

Something we haven't talked about

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
Remember one thing guys that this years Draft will be very complicated why you say?

Luneau committed to NCAA D1 will he d-commit and play Gatineau ?
Dumais ? at South Kent will he continue to play US route?
Lastarza ? Shatuuck SAME
Ryan Hopkins ? Stanstead
Mastrodomenico ? Not sure on the players angle
Jake Furlong ? Mount St-Charles will he continue US route?

Most Quebec/Maritimes players will move up in the draft that have no chance to go south!
I see : Carruthers-Warren- Andrews- Swan - Verrault - cote move up in draft....Many uncertain predictions.

Something we haven't talked about

Somethings «we »haven’t talks about is how subpar the play is at the icejam. Some games have been entertaining but the overall skills level leaves a lot to be desired. People on here are tossing around names in top 10,top 20 etc...I thinks that’s a bit reckless. Just my opinion.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Do you guys know if it's possible to have acces to advance stats from the LHJMQ ? Or there is no database ?

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
@Double OT unfortunately this is a challenge in our region. It’s a numbers game and a reason some go away which in turn makes it even weaker. People want to talk about players based on point production. Many of these point getters wouldn’t make a team Atlantic ( in the old format) and one of the factors why the U17 program changed to a full national program vs regional.

someone earlier mentioned Murchinson. He was challenged more last year with his own age group playing bantam prep with a decent team out west than he is this year being a first year midget player.

lots will get drafted, most will be shocked at the level they need to get to to actual make or play in the Q.

Carruthers is a very good player, it will be interesting to see how his game grows and changes when most players are 6’ 200lbs.

Woodworth has 60+ points, but less than a point a game at ACC against his own age?

Similar for Andrews.

Even the difference watching the macs and flyers play. Two of the better teams and the two top 04 on those teams had a combined 1 point.

Reactions: Double OT

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
The top teams coming in are leaving with questions. Lots of mediocre teams winning.
Who’s really standing out in the 04’s?

Reactions: Mtlhockey

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
5 or 6+ first year players on tournament All Star teams? I didn’t see enough, it doesn’t make sense in a 3 year league. Who picks the All Star teams?

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
I tried to provide a hyper link Double OT but it won’t open. The first and second all star teams can be found on ice jam website

I found this to be a very insightful weekend. Here are my thoughts on a few of the top D and top F in Atlantic after Ice Jam weekend. I’m obviously leaving LOTS of talent off here.

Defence:

I’ve watched R Hopkins at stanstead this year and I watched him in years before. I think he is the top Atlantic D. In terms of local D I would agree with the majority of voters this weekend who put D Maddigan on the first all star team. He has gotten better in the last month or two. He’s mobile and composed with the puck. He rarely makes a mistake and pinched smartly this weekend. Great wrister from blue line and moves well along the blue in order to find a lane

After that I’m not sure but I do like M Mann. He seems to be improving and I think his upside is high. He already skates pretty well. With such size that’s impressive. I think his skating will get better as he gets comfortable with his size and gains lower body and core strength. He defends very well. I can see him in the Q next year

I would add that L Hinkley (formerly Moncton) in GTHL is likely a top 3 D in Atlantic

Forwards:

Up front I think 3 players have emerged as the leaders. L Carruthers, C MacLean and S Savoie. Interesting enough , They are all very different players.

Carruthers has north south speed that is very impressive. He is a big body but is still athletic. HeAvy shot. He used his body a bit more this weekend too. He won many battles along the boards. He showed good anticipation. One time in particular a short handed breakaway was the result of his strong thinking on the ice.

Savoie is a highly skilled grinder. I mean grinder in a complimentary way. A classic centre iceman. Digs. Likes corners. He drives the net and his skating is smooth and powerful. He has a knack for being in good Places in all three Zones. In the offensive zone this makes him consistently dangerous. In the defensive zone this makes him effective at helping his unit transition to offence. Good special teams player.

MacLean is a big skilled winger. His down low and wall play is superior. His edges are impressive for a big kid. Mohawks well and comes out of turns with acceleration. I’ve read some concerns around foot speed. I didn’t see that. Of course a player can’t be fast enough in today’s game lol. MacLeans’s wrist shot is very impressive. It is hard, his release is buried in his footwork. Most impressive though is his creativity and on ice vision. Sees passing lanes and opportunities that are not obvious and passes crisp and accurate. Good on PP. He could be the top Atlantic forward right now.

Obviously things change and opinions vary on all these Players. Lot of great talent there this weekend. another great Ice Jam for sure. This tournament is top notch.

Reactions: Rink Eyes

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I tried to provide a hyper link Double OT but it won’t open. The first and second all star teams can be found on ice jam website

I found this to be a very insightful weekend. Here are my thoughts on a few of the top D and top F in Atlantic after Ice Jam weekend. I’m obviously leaving LOTS of talent off here.

Defence:

I’ve watched R Hopkins at stanstead this year and I watched him in years before. I think he is the top Atlantic D. In terms of local D I would agree with the majority of voters this weekend who put D Maddigan on the first all star team. He has gotten better in the last month or two. He’s mobile and composed with the puck. He rarely makes a mistake and pinched smartly this weekend. Great wrister from blue line and moves well along the blue in order to find a lane

After that I’m not sure but I do like M Mann. He seems to be improving and I think his upside is high. He already skates pretty well. With such size that’s impressive. I think his skating will get better as he gets comfortable with his size and gains lower body and core strength. He defends very well. I can see him in the Q next year

I would add that L Hinkley (formerly Moncton) in GTHL is likely a top 3 D in Atlantic

Forwards:

Up front I think 3 players have emerged as the leaders. L Carruthers, C MacLean and S Savoie. Interesting enough , They are all very different players.

Carruthers has north south speed that is very impressive. He is a big body but is still athletic. HeAvy shot. He used his body a bit more this weekend too. He won many battles along the boards. He showed good anticipation. One time in particular a short handed breakaway was the result of his strong thinking on the ice.

Savoie is a highly skilled grinder. I mean grinder in a complimentary way. A classic centre iceman. Digs. Likes corners. He drives the net and his skating is smooth and powerful. He has a knack for being in good Places in all three Zones. In the offensive zone this makes him consistently dangerous. In the defensive zone this makes him effective at helping his unit transition to offence. Good special teams player.

MacLean is a big skilled winger. His down low and wall play is superior. His edges are impressive for a big kid. Mohawks well and comes out of turns with acceleration. I’ve read some concerns around foot speed. I didn’t see that. Of course a player can’t be fast enough in today’s game lol. MacLeans’s wrist shot is very impressive. It is hard, his release is buried in his footwork. Most impressive though is his creativity and on ice vision. Sees passing lanes and opportunities that are not obvious and passes crisp and accurate. Good on PP. He could be the top Atlantic forward right now.

Obviously things change and opinions vary on all these Players. Lot of great talent there this weekend. another great Ice Jam for sure. This tournament is top notch.

Thanks. All I could find was last years list of awards. I’ll check again. Just did.
Some interesting picks. A lot of those players didn’t do much. Whoever picked is definitely promoting the 04’s,warranted or not.

I thought the overall play was a bit sloppy and lacked pace. Some games were descent. Pictou and Dartmouth had descent pace.
The time and space some of these teams have to work with is silly. Some D are able to walks in 10 feet and wind up for 3-4 seconds before shooting. Lol.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
upload_2020-1-12_14-43-15.png

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
It’s interesting how opinions differ. I agree with Northam for the most part, Maclean has a great shot, but seems to hold onto the puck too long and foot speed could be a problem in the Q. Hughes and Huggan were the best in the ot quarter final I seen, speed not an issue for either. Huggan has poise with the puck. Where did the Macdonald kid come from on d he’s super fast and great offensively. Alex Carr was a big physical force all weekend too, especially for a 1st year. Howatt was sharp in a game I seen, but so was George. Mercer is very solid and his size won’t hurt him. Woodworth is excellent offensively, can he make it with his size? Strang is a very quiet but solid first pass d. He will only get better.
Carruthers is a good skater, physically strong for his age, I thought his offensive production was ok for a high offence team.

I think the Atlantic kids compare well to Quebec, with the exception of luneau who is in a league of his own.

NewfieInOntario

May 7, 2018
I was only able to catch 3 games including the championship game online and from what I saw Carruthers, Maclean, Savoie, Woodworth were the top 04s at the Ice Jam. Anyone worth noting on any of the 5 NL teams?

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
The icejams is over and it leaving things with more questions than answers. Most top prospects going ins did not do much. Even though they all got awards. Lol.
Others put themselves on the maps.
So who are the favourites to make to the Telus from Que and Maritimes?
The Telus is in Quebec in St H so let’s focus on which teams will make it and have 04’s that could potentially solidify their rankings.

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
My early prediction is 20 Quebec and 10 Atlantic in the top 30. The Atlantic group is unusually strong this year, could be as high as a 50/50 split in the top 30. Luneau is clearly #1, the rest could be interesting.
A new top 10 will be released later this week, expect to see a few new faces from the previous top 10 lists.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
My early prediction is 20 Quebec and 10 Atlantic in the top 30. The Atlantic group is unusually strong this year, could be as high as a 50/50 split in the top 30. Luneau is clearly #1, the rest could be interesting.
A new top 10 will be released later this week, expect to see a few new faces from the previous top 10 lists.

First of all the lists on the Q website is propaganda. Some are definitely legit like Luneau etc...some have no business on there. It’s all who you knows. Lol.

10 of top 30 being Maritimes makes sense since it’s not considered a deep draft in Qc.
But the 03’s had a pretty strong showing last years in the top 3 rounds.
13 of 36 in top 2 =36%
19 of 54 in top 3 =35%

So 10 out of the first 30 is actually below the Maritimes results last drafts. 33%.
It’s understood that the Maritime drafts was top heavy with the 2003’s but deeper with the 2004’s.

Something to consider.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
I expect It will come down to Moncton and who wins NS. I initially expected the Macs would win NS. I am not longer certain after the ice jam. Now they did find a way to the final with good teams they faced. It will be interesting tonight where they face Dartmouth again.

based on the latest tourney in Que, that could be a fight but if it was a betting man, Felix Potvin will find a way for his team to win Que.

Reactions: Double OT

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I expect It will come down to Moncton and who wins NS. I initially expected the Macs would win NS. I am not longer certain after the ice jam. Now they did find a way to the final with good teams they faced. It will be interesting tonight where they face Dartmouth again.

based on the latest tourney in Que, that could be a fight but if it was a betting man, Felix Potvin will find a way for his team to win Que.

Your prob right on Potvin. In regards to the Maritimes,the Icejam raised more questions than answers.
One teams who is underachieving is Pictou. I’ve watched them plays 9 times in the two big tourneys and they routinely get out coached.
Dart always gets better with Crowell. Even though he’s not around as much. Apparently he will be the rest of the way.
Moncton will depend on chemistry. The chemistry they had at Monctonians was not there at Icejams.
One team to watch out for going into next seasons is Sydney. Well coached and im hearing most players will be backs. They should have had 3-4 guys on the All Star lines at Icejam.

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
I didn't get to see all their games buy Carruthers seemed quiet offensively considering their offensive dominance over teams. Dartmouth beat them again this week, it looks like the league is wide open. I think the Moose will pick up a few of these kids this year in the draft. They have a boatload of picks.

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
Landon Sim received some good reports from a few scouts at the IceJam...any thoughts on this? I thought he was quiet at the prospect game in Moncton? Anybody else seeing games in NS?

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Statswise Jacob Newcombe has been pretty quiet this year but I thought he had a pretty good tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad