Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Landon Sim received some good reports from a few scouts at the IceJam...any thoughts on this? I thought he was quiet at the prospect game in Moncton? Anybody else seeing games in NS?

Weeks in general has been really hot since December. A lot of that is due to the play of Landon Sim and Lucas Canning.

I don't really know how good he'll be in the Q, due to his size, but the kid hustles every shift. Honestly he needs to be a bit more selfish and shoot the puck.

CBHabsFan

Jan 23, 2020
Hi Everyone, I haven't followed the NSMMHL in a while, but watched many of the IceJam games this year. Have been in Hali for work for a month or so and thought it might be nice to spot some young talent before they make the jump to the Q. I jotted down some names of players I saw that I saw something interesting. I was pretty surprised to find several of the players I was impressed by were 2nd year players ('03s) that haven't been drafted. Wondering what the likelihood is they might get drafted this year? Assuming most of these players might just get contract offers instead of drafted, but I don't follow the draft enough to know how many second year players get drafted. Just curious. Thanks

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
Hi Everyone, I haven't followed the NSMMHL in a while, but watched many of the IceJam games this year. Have been in Hali for work for a month or so and thought it might be nice to spot some young talent before they make the jump to the Q. I jotted down some names of players I saw that I saw something interesting. I was pretty surprised to find several of the players I was impressed by were 2nd year players ('03s) that haven't been drafted. Wondering what the likelihood is they might get drafted this year? Assuming most of these players might just get contract offers instead of drafted, but I don't follow the draft enough to know how many second year players get drafted. Just curious. Thanks
There were 21 overage players drafted last year and 36 the year before that, so I would say it is entirely possible a few that you liked get drafted this year. There's always players that falls through the cracks or is a late bloomer. Best example is Jordan Spence. Got passed over his first year and was a top pick the next

I think it's important for scouts to understand exactly why they didn't get drafted the year before and what has changed in their game to make them improve. Just being a year older can make a big difference and may not necessarily warrant drafting that player.

CBHabsFan

Jan 23, 2020
Thanks! Had completely forgot that Spence was a second year when drafted. I also find it funny that Q draft goes by YOB, but NHL draft has a September date (15th I think) as cutoff. Assume many of the second years drafted may be some of those born in later months.

gotta say that I love reading the Q draft threads on here. Lots of very knowledgeable folks.

I think DoubleOT mentioned this, but as a Cape Bretoner I was quite frustrated to see no CB players on the All Star lists are Ice Jam. That said, maybe I just paid closer attention to those teams lol. But hard to hide the fact that the top in goals and the top in points for the entire tourney were both On the Sydney team. Lol i imagine folks home made that a topic at the coffee clubs lol!

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Thanks! Had completely forgot that Spence was a second year when drafted. I also find it funny that Q draft goes by YOB, but NHL draft has a September date (15th I think) as cutoff. Assume many of the second years drafted may be some of those born in later months.

gotta say that I love reading the Q draft threads on here. Lots of very knowledgeable folks.

I think DoubleOT mentioned this, but as a Cape Bretoner I was quite frustrated to see no CB players on the All Star lists are Ice Jam. That said, maybe I just paid closer attention to those teams lol. But hard to hide the fact that the top in goals and the top in points for the entire tourney were both On the Sydney team. Lol i imagine folks home made that a topic at the coffee clubs lol!
I think Sydney’s stats were inflated by the fact they played 4 of the 5 weakest teams in the tournament before meeting Halifax.

CBHabsFan

Jan 23, 2020
I think Sydney’s stats were inflated by the fact they played 4 of the 5 weakest teams in the tournament before meeting Halifax.
That may be so. Likely so actually. I didn’t see all of them. But even in the Macs game, I had one player who stood out on each team. (And by stood out, I mean I saw Qualities that I pictured were sure signs of success at the next level)

rolliethegoalie

Aug 25, 2018
My sense is that there is good talent in Quebec despite some talent playing outside of our borders. 2004 has always been a deeper pool than 2003. There are anglophones who might just opt for the school route because it is the safer choice - injuries, education to rely on. There are good quality kids that could/will get drafted in the first round that would thrive in the Q. They may not be impact players year 1 but stand to be more than just a role player. This league is greta for this kids. There will be much decisions to be made for some kids who have the aptitude or the language to go to pursue the school route.

Many of the lists that have put out seems to hype certain kids. I am not here to reduce another child but my list would be different. I would love to know what the Q teams are thinking behind the scenes. Do they see the same thing that we are seeing on the list from this board or are their views different? Can we get a Q scouts perspective of their list without specifying the team they work for?

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
So there you have it, there are 5 or 6 that have been on each week. In Atlantic Canada, Arsenault, Hughes, and Mann were named in previous editions. I expect MacLean could be on the next one, Gweon could sneak on too with Nadeau centering his line. The only list that will matter is the actual one in June, and that one doesn't really matter either as it's just at a point in time. The Gatorade is the next stage for these young men, good luck to all.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
In response to Landon Sim as a prospect, I believe he will be taken anywhere from the 4th-7th round. He has elite vision and solid puck skills, he also has some tenacity which he comes by honestly. His weakness is his size for sure, listed at 5-5 and 140lbs.

I know most people know his father is Jon Sim the former NHL hockey player, but not many will remember his father at 15.....I do. Back then bantam was 14/15 and I remember Jon playing in the old Dalhousie bantam challenge cup.....at 15.....at 5-4. He was really pushed aside by the Q because of size. He then goes to the OHL and scores 160 plus goals over 3 years. Point being, Landon will grow and could be a steal in round 4/5/6.

Reactions: NorthAmHockey

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
In response to Landon Sim as a prospect, I believe he will be taken anywhere from the 4th-7th round. He has elite vision and solid puck skills, he also has some tenacity which he comes by honestly. His weakness is his size for sure, listed at 5-5 and 140lbs.

I know most people know his father is Jon Sim the former NHL hockey player, but not many will remember his father at 15.....I do. Back then bantam was 14/15 and I remember Jon playing in the old Dalhousie bantam challenge cup.....at 15.....at 5-4. He was really pushed aside by the Q because of size. He then goes to the OHL and scores 160 plus goals over 3 years. Point being, Landon will grow and could be a steal in round 4/5/6.

Landon Sim is classified as a "A" prospect according to the december CSR final list. Top 36

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Don’t think them lists are available to public, but on skills alone I 100% agree. The gamble is will he get bigger and stronger before or after junior, I’m hoping he has the same spurt his father did, we shall see over the next few years.

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
Don’t think them lists are available to public, but on skills alone I 100% agree. The gamble is will he get bigger and stronger before or after junior, I’m hoping he has the same spurt his father did, we shall see over the next few years.

These list are not public, they're available for Q team, scouts, agents,

Reactions: Prospectsfinest

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
@Hockeyfirst does this top 36 list include all available players for the draft including those playing outside our normal views or just Quebec/Atlantic midget or just Atlantic Canada midget?

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
@Hockeyfirst does this top 36 list include all available players for the draft including those playing outside our normal views or just Quebec/Atlantic midget or just Atlantic Canada midget?

All CSR list included:

- December's list included 346 players DOB 2003-2004
- all players available for QMJHL
- players from U.S., Ontario, school program, QMAAA, Maritimes, Espoir, GTHL...

CSR's list is really accurate and similar to all independant scoutings agency.

Reactions: Rink Eyes

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Is Newfoundland, as you only mentioned Maritimes? When is the next list published? Any chance some movement of players from B prospects to A prospects?

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
Is Newfoundland, as you only mentioned Maritimes? When is the next list published? Any chance some movement of players from B prospects to A prospects?

Newfounland is included, all players on QMJHL territory

There's always some mouvement, and next list is in March. Final list in May

Reactions: wayupnorth

quebec west

Dec 10, 2018
hockey prospect has a top 100 list (first 5 rounds or close). Are there any question marks or surprises?

rolliethegoalie

Aug 25, 2018
Hockey Prospects like CSR is a reflection of their evaluation. We can debate them all but judgement day is at the Q draft - in the end the teams will determine the value of each player in their eyes.

Kids will evolve as the stage gets bigger (playoffs) and then others will declare going school route which complicates this dynamic process. If you have a kid that is in the process it could be a real rollercoaster ride. The only thing to do is to focus on playing hockey. The rest is just noise...

Reactions: dwgs

Qmjhl101

Jan 12, 2020
Ya all the q teams their own rankings and opinions on every player and those are the only ones that matter

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Are we still allowed to discuss players and rankings here ? Did i miss something ?
I didn't take his comment that way, all he's saying is that we can all express our views as much as we want but in the end the teams will do what the teams think is best for them. At least that was my take on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad