Early Impressions: Marcus Pettersson

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
if you want to believe that Sprong would hypothetically outproduce Rust in a situation that doesn't exist, feel free. It's impossible to know. What I know is that Rust is doing very well and has done very well for three years now despite some cold streaks. Sprong is also doing pretty well, and could get even better. But he's got a long way to go to prove he can be a consistent producer in the NHL

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You're saying he can play anywhere - I'm saying that this very season, he needed a 29 game top 9 mulligan with arguably the best group of top 9 centers in the league before he became useful offensively. Few enjoy the benefit of that long a window, and few enjoy the benefit of that calibre of linemate.

I mean, I like Rust and good for him, but that's a player with some consistency issues of his own offensively. Meanwhile Sprong is producing whenever he gets the chance with anything resembling a scoring line center - even if his Anaheim duo's a several rungs below what Rust generally has to work with.

He is?

36 point pace? 18 point 5 on 5 pace? Playing top 6. Thats productive?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
and yet here we are with Rust outproducing Sprong despite having an absolutely awful first 30 games. You had no problem with Sprong scoring all of his points with Sid last year in 1 game. Bringing that up was some unfair criticism of Sprong. Production is production. But it's a problem with Rust.

Let's see Sprong show some consistent 5v5 production, then we can come back to this conversation.

Has a 4 game pointless streak ever been remotely comparable to looking like trash for over 1/3 of a season in the top 9 and not even sniffing a real demotion?

Really now.

Rust is a good middle-six winger, and his production on balance supports that. But Sprong's been more consistent offensively in his chances with scoring line centers so far, despite not having near as much quality to work with. If they had each other's roles and opportunities, I think their respective statlines would change a lot with their new circumstances.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Has a 4 game pointless streak ever been remotely comparable to looking like trash for over 1/3 of a season in the top 9 and not even sniffing a real demotion?

Really now.

Rust is a good middle-six winger, and his production on balance supports that. But Sprong's been more consistent offensively in his chances with scoring line centers so far, despite not having near as much quality to work with. If they had each other's roles and opportunities, I think their respective statlines would change a lot with their new circumstances.
Sprong hasn't played a straight 1/3 of a season yet, you have no idea what his consistency is like.

Also, if you change their circumstances, does Rust now get powerplay time and Sprong has to PK?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Really now.

How is his 18 point pace 5 on 5 with the Ducks show consistancy with top 6 line mates?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong hasn't played a straight 1/3 of a season yet, you have no idea what his consistency is like.

Also, if you change their circumstances, does Rust now get powerplay time and Sprong has to PK?

That's why I said "so far". We can only go by what we've seen so far. I wish we had a lot bigger sample size to work with, but with the little opportunity Sprong's had he's produced.

Rust on the PP would be something to see - of course you'd include it, but I'm not sure what sort of success you'd predict him to have there. We're talking offense, so I can't see PK being a factor. Rust's clearly a much better defensive player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's why I said "so far". We can only go by what we've seen so far. I wish we had a lot bigger sample size to work with, but with the little opportunity Sprong's had he's produced.

Rust on the PP would be something to see - of course you'd include it, but I'm not sure what sort of success you'd predict him to have there. We're talking offense, so I can't see PK being a factor. Rust's clearly a much better defensive player.
But Sprong would lose his PP too, right?

Seriously, in the sample size of Sprong on the Ducks he has 2 5v5 points in 9 games. Is that what you're basing this on? Going back to last year and counting the 3 in 8? Now we've boosted him up to what, a 25 point pace 5v5? Hell, give him his point with Geno and don't even count it as a game, and he's almost to 30! Which alas is still behind all of Rust's career combined counting his time with anybody and everybody.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Also the others aren’t mentioning the rest of Sprong’s game is not great at all and that’s including his time in Anaheim.

It’s a 36 point pace too which is ok but I imagine when Perry and Rakell come back and how the rest of his game is his minutes will take a dive.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Also the others aren’t mentioning the rest of Sprong’s game is not great at all and that’s including his time in Anaheim.

It’s a 36 point pace too which is ok but I imagine when Perry and Rakell come back and how the rest of his game is his minutes will take a dive.
yeah, my point is just that even at the one thing Sprong is good at, Rust is doing better so far. Doesn't mean he always will, but it does mean it would be hard to find a spot for Sprong here.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You're saying he can play anywhere - I'm saying that this very season, he needed a 29 game top 9 mulligan with arguably the best group of top 9 centers in the league before he became useful offensively. Few enjoy the benefit of that long a window, and few enjoy the benefit of that calibre of linemate.

I mean, I like Rust and good for him, but that's a player with some consistency issues of his own offensively. Meanwhile Sprong is producing whenever he gets the chance with anything resembling a scoring line center - even if his Anaheim duo's a several rungs below what Rust generally has to work with.

Rust had a bad stretch. It happens to the best of them. What everyone is trying to explain to you is he had a sizeable sample size of providing ability of a 20/40 guy over an 80 game played. He has shown up in the playoffs and played well on any line. I remember the Cup run with Cullen he looked so dangerous. He is a complete player and Sprong is not even in his category at this time. Even if Sprong develops I still rather have the strong two way player over a one trick pony.

It is laughable to say Sprong was producing whenever paired with a scoring line center. If that was the case he still would be here. He is not even doing that good for the Ducks on a 36 point pace while providing nothing else. That is just a 9 game sample size and he barely is passable so just a little slip I. Production and he is worthless.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Rust had a bad stretch. It happens to the best of them. What everyone is trying to explain to you is he had a sizeable sample size of providing ability of a 20/40 guy over an 80 game played. He has shown up in the playoffs and played well on any line. I remember the Cup run with Cullen he looked so dangerous. He is a complete player and Sprong is not even in his category at this time. Even if Sprong develops I still rather have the strong two way player over a one trick pony.

It is laughable to say Sprong was producing whenever paired with a scoring line center. If that was the case he still would be here. He is not even doing that good for the Ducks on a 36 point pace while providing nothing else. That is just a 9 game sample size and he barely is passable so just a little slip I. Production and he is worthless.

Rust was actually with Malkin in 15-16 the majority of the playoffs.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Rust was actually with Malkin in 15-16 the majority of the playoffs.

I remember when he was with Cullen that year he made that line a threat. I can’t rememner the number of games but just that Rust was a factor on any line. Comparing Sprong to Rust is just wrong. Not even close at this time. Sprong would have to become at least a 50 point scorer to even them as players. I would take a 40 point Rust over a 50 point Sprong any day. I still believe Sprong will be out of the league in a year or two but we shall see. He has to be a consistent scorer to keep his spot and I think he has a real good chance of not keeping his blistering 4 points in 9 game pace.

By the way how did I get sucked into talking about Sprong on a MP page?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I remember when he was with Cullen that year he made that line a threat. I can’t rememner the number of games but just that Rust was a factor on any line. Comparing Sprong to Rust is just wrong. Not even close at this time. Sprong would have to become at least a 50 point scorer to even them as players. I would take a 40 point Rust over a 50 point Sprong any day. I still believe Sprong will be out of the league in a year or two but we shall see. He has to be a consistent scorer to keep his spot and I think he has a real good chance of not keeping his blistering 4 points in 9 game pace.

By the way how did I get sucked into talking about Sprong on a MP page?

Lol. Sprong knows all. Thst’s why.

I think Rust is actually around a 50 pt pace when playing with Sid and Malkin.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
He’s big, but skinny. He can move well, but not exceptionally well. He has a decent first pass, but his passing overall has hiccups. He seems to shoot low for deflections, but they’re usually blocked.

In other words, everything is solid in his game, but nothing jumps off the ice while watching him. We have a similar young defenseman in Dumo. If he can develope into something like that over the next two years I don’t really care what Sprong is doing.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He’s big, but skinny. He can move well, but not exceptionally well. He has a decent first pass, but his passing overall has hiccups. He seems to shoot low for deflections, but they’re usually blocked.

In other words, everything is solid in his game, but nothing jumps off the ice while watching him. We have a similar young defenseman in Dumo. If he can develope into something like that over the next two years I don’t really care what Sprong is doing.
Perfect No.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad