Early Hart favourites?

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I guess we'll see. McDavid can only carry them so far.. look at last season.
Yeah teams have bad seasons nor have we made great decisions regarding the roster, special teams, goal tending decisions etc I am not denying that but even in the season when McDavid won the art ross and we went to the playoffs the % of offense he contributed for the team was actually lower compared to other Art Ross winners in the past.

Our last 3 wins McDavid only contributed 1 point in each and was only decided the game in one of those three. I think considering our beginning people have gone back to EDM is only McDavid though we have gotten a bit more depth scoring.

Don't get me wrong we are incredibly top heavy and don't have a ton of depth but it isn't just McDavid.

Reactions: Coffey

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Obviously I am not talking about McDavid, as I just said he would win the Hart.. jesus.
So guys like Draisaitl, Klefbom and Larsson have one great year and it's a fluke. Then they have one bad year and it's definitely who they are as players?

What about this season where all three seem to be even better than they were in 2016-17? The Oilers are 7-2-1 in their last 10 while playing the Pens, Caps, Jets, Hawks and Bruins. You think it's all because of McDavid?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
If Talbot, Larsson, Draisaitl, et al are valuable enough to the Oilers that they make the playoffs then McDavid will win as the most valuable to his team. If his teammates are not valuable enough to make the playoffs, then McDavid will not be considered most valuable to his team, because reasons.

Yes, I’m still salty.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
So guys like Draisaitl, Klefbom and Larsson have one great year and it's a fluke. Then they have one bad year and it's definitely who they are as players?

What about this season where all three seem to be even better than they were in 2016-17? The Oilers are 7-2-1 in their last 10 while playing the Pens, Caps, Jets, Hawks and Bruins. You think it's all because of McDavid?

Didn't you play like 3 of those teams on a second half of a back to back?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Just looking at stats vs team expectations, Rantanen or Petersson at this point?

Gibson also

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't you play like 3 of those teams on a second half of a back to back?
Yes. A few back to back games at the very beginning of the season when everyone is fresh is the difference between going 7-2-1 and being one of the worst teams in the league. That's the reason Klefbom and Larsson look so much better.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Most valuable player to his team? Pettersson has looked like the only valuable player on the Canucks for most of the year.

Reactions: TheFlow

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Obviously I am not talking about McDavid, as I just said he would win the Hart.. jesus.

But you were talking about McDavid, because you said - "unsustainable seasons for all". Unless hes been waived (wouldnt surprise me given our management) he is part of that collective.

Thinking he could win the Hart doesnt preclude you from thinking he had prior unsustainable seasons. Those aren't mutually exclusive...we know however, that he didnt have unsustainable seasons, and I'm not convinced many others did either.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Most valuable player to his team? Pettersson has looked like the only valuable player on the Canucks for most of the year.

The Canucks are missing their top two D and are leading the division with a team people expected to finish bottom 3

If Pettersson keeps it up he’s winning the hart no question. He’s absolutely carrying this team

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The Canucks are missing their top two D and are leading the division with a team people expected to finish bottom 3

If Pettersson keeps it up he’s winning the hart no question. He’s absolutely carrying this team

14/15 points were goals or primary assists he only has one secondary assist

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Yeah, when you have Schaller and Motte in your top 6 along with Hutton-Gudbranson/Pouliot-Stetcher as your top 4 you should not be winning games. Pettersson is the anti-tank so far.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
if not for ror the blues look way worse, maybe dont even win a game yet

hes even made sanford into a legit player somehow

usually nobody from the blues deserves talk for the hart cuz scoring is so spread out but hes been the carry this season

O'Reilly has been fantastic, but please explain in detail how this is a notch in his belt. Sanford is young, has always had good hands, shot, reach, skating, and vision; played his rookie year, and then was injured. He has played 49 AHL and 45 NHL games. Where is the body of work that suggests to you that O'Reilly is dragging him kicking and screaming from a plug to a "legit player"?

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
They will most likely make it with McLellan, and he isn't the main problem in Edmonton.

He 100% is the main problem, no if's and or buts. Which idiot would keep going to the same 5 man left shooting #1 pp unit when it clearly isn't working.....Tmac that's who.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not an Oilers fan but his team shouldn’t be holding him back from this award anymore. He’s the best player in the league trapped in an awful situation.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
If Buffalo makes the playoffs Eichel without a doubt deserves mention. He’seading the league in scoring since his top line was put together. Not saying this just because of my username either. That’s how Hart contention goes, if the top scorer doesent make the playoffs it will go to a guy who has a tremendous year that carries his team to the playoffs ala hall Mackinnon over
Mcdavid last year.

Eichel has been a beast this year in work ethic. He’s fifth in shots in the league, fourth in offensive zone possession, becoming a leader with the C of a winning team (record) as well as adapting becoming a two way forward this year with great physical play.

They were dead last the year before.

He’s plus 2. (For him that’s great with the ice time and buffalos back end not being tremendous)

17 pts in 14 games.

When I said he’s leading the league in scoring above since the line of skinner Pominville and him were out together, it’s from all the help Involved. Since Skinner and Pominville joined his line Skinner went from Two it’s in 6 games to 14 pts in 8 games.

This is the reason people said Eichel had a higher offensive ceiling and used the linemate argument for Jack, it was never an excuse. It’s reality I kne if he ever got a sniper or just a great player on his line he’d be putting up Incredible numbers. It could fall back but for now it great.

Last edited:

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Edmonton has the easiest schedule in the league this year. Combine that with the amount of ice-time McDavid gets and I would assume he's pretty much a lock for the Hart.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

Nah.

Horvats been a beast and Boeser we all saw what he did last year and again this year. Pettersen has been amazing he’s helped and he will win the Calder and maybe in the future Hart art Riss or rocket trophies but for Hart this year I don’t see it right now. But I’ve also seen nothing to suggest he can’t donit either. He’s dynamite.

I just think if mcdavid and oilers make playoffs, mCd gets it, not making the playoffs should be the only way he doesent if he keeps leading the league in scoring.

Edmonton has the easiest schedule in the league this year. Combine that with the amount of ice-time McDavid gets and I would assume he's pretty much a lock for the Hart.

Or it could be that mcdavids the best player in earth and not just an easy schedule or ice time.

Some People.

Scrantonicity 2

Mar 7, 2016
Or it could be that mcdavids the best player in earth and not just an easy schedule or ice time.

Some People.

What are you rambling about now? All I said was that the schedule and ice-time will likely cement what was already a good chance for him to win it.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
What are you rambling about now? All I said was that the schedule and ice-time will likely cement what was already a good chance for him to win it.

Rambling about? Pretty clear what I said.

You made it sound like those were the reasons he would win it and not the fact that he’s Connor McDavid.

But what do you mean by easy schedule anyway?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He 100% is the main problem, no if's and or buts. Which idiot would keep going to the same 5 man left shooting #1 pp unit when it clearly isn't working.....Tmac that's who.
Nah, Chia Is a bigger problem.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
McDavid and Geno are my top 2. Aho is basically Carolina offense so he's my dark horse.

Scrantonicity 2

Mar 7, 2016
But what do you mean by easy schedule anyway?

The Oilers play 18 times against teams who are on the second half of back-to-backs this season, which is by far the highest in the league. Most teams play under 10. For example, Colorado and Vancouver only play 3 teams on a back-to-back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad