GDT: Early Afternoon Edition|Columbus-Edmonton|1:00 p.m.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Am I the only one who is wholly unimpressed by Duchene and Dzingel so far?

Duchene shows flashes of brilliance at times, but then coasts around a lot and makes poor decisions with the puck. And Dzingel looks a lot like Duclair to me.

I'm not loving our chances if they can't figure it out soon.

I think Duchene could step up, put this team on his shoulders and carry them to the playoffs. He just doesn't know it. You're not a 20 year old kid you're a respectable NHL veteran. Dont come in and be timid. Be a voice and an example.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Am I the only one who is wholly unimpressed by Duchene and Dzingel so far?

Duchene shows flashes of brilliance at times, but then coasts around a lot and makes poor decisions with the puck. And Dzingel looks a lot like Duclair to me.

I'm not loving our chances if they can't figure it out soon.

For me, jury still out on Duchene. As a rental, I am losing confidence in the trade.

Dzingel is probably going to be RJ Umberger v2.0; someone we would really like to see do well because, well - Buckeye, but after a couple years will be trade fodder of draft picks and AHL 'tweeners.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
For me, jury still out on Duchene. As a rental, I am losing confidence in the trade.

Dzingel is probably going to be RJ Umberger v2.0; someone we would really like to see do well because, well - Buckeye, but after a couple years will be trade fodder of draft picks and AHL 'tweeners.

I hate to say it, but a lot of the pundits are being proven correct about Duchene. Good player on bad teams, but when the temperature rises, he’s a no show.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I hate to say it, but a lot of the pundits are being proven correct about Duchene. Good player on bad teams, but when the temperature rises, he’s a no show.

I think he's too timid right now. Not sure where he fits, how forceful he should be in the room, ice or bench. Not wanting to step on the C's toes. All guesses of course but it's gotta be a strange feeling to be put into.

If he's only a good player on a bad team then he'd not have good games against good teams.
He knows the game, he's good at hockey on any team I'd guess. On this youthful team he needs to realize he must be one of the leadership guys.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Meh:
  • I'm still in the 'give it time' camp for Duchene & Dzingel to truly make an impact.
  • Alarming to see Bob literally fall of the face of the Earth after the deadline as passed.

Pissed:
  • What I'm irate about is how a team can continue to only be consistent at coming out flat for games we need to be grabbing some points from.
  • And a coach that continues his stubborn ways or not matching lines or truly game planning towards the opponent. You know... the things 99.9% of the other coaches in the league do.
  • How is our defense such a mess with the players we have? Isn't it supposed to be our strength?

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
Jarmo really needs to give Ryan Murray whatever he asks for during contract negotiations in the off-season. This team seems to fall apart without him in the lineup. Also, we need to wrap him in bubble wrap for protection. :D

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Meh:
  • I'm still in the 'give it time' camp for Duchene & Dzingel to truly make an impact.
  • Alarming to see Bob literally fall of the face of the Earth after the deadline as passed.

Pissed:
  • What I'm irate about is how a team can continue to only be consistent at coming out flat for games we need to be grabbing some points from.
  • And a coach that continues his stubborn ways or not matching lines or truly game planning towards the opponent. You know... the things 99.9% of the other coaches in the league do.
  • How is our defense such a mess with the players we have? Isn't it supposed to be our strength?

Agree on the majority. Torts has lots of beneficial qualities. Obviously we’ll have to ride the season out, but I’m really not sure he’s the guy to get this team over the hump, and a lot of the things he does are very frustrating. I’ll never understand the “don’t coach offense” quote. I’ll never the “we worry about our game”. Yes, if you get too caught up in the opponent, that’s one thing. Playing the exact same against each opponent is another.

On defense: 1) Murray out is huge. The pairings look a lot better when you put him in there. 2) Werenski (and to a lesser extent Nuti) have regressed/plateaued this year. They’re young so some growing pains are expected, but it’s a bit disappointing.

On Bob: He wasn’t good against Pittsburgh. I think he was pretty solid against Philly. Today was not his fault at all. Maybe could have had the first one, but it was still a pretty good shot off of a cross-ice pass. Wouldn’t say he’s fallen off the face of the earth, but now would be a great time for him to play like a top goalie on this planet, as he was doing immediately prior to the deadline.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I think it is too early to tell. Would the team be doing better if Wennie was still in the lineup?

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018

That is the modern Russian national team including Ovetshkin against Finland in Olympics who either in 2006 or 2014 went 0-4 or 1-3 down in sudden death play-off round.

Duchene has twice won the highest glory in ice hockey: the world championship tournament.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Duchene is ok but not someone we should be locking up at $9M per yet. Dzingel looks like an AHLer quite frankly.
And that right there should tell you where the problem lies . Pretty amazing that the Islanders lose Tavares, pick up Trotz , and become a juggernaut, when they were bad last year . What does Torts really do on game day ? Change his lines ? Act like a baby when they lose , and treat the media memeber like shit ? He doesn’t scout the opponent , we’ve heard that 1000 times . He doesn’t coach offense . It took him 2 years of a brutal power play , before he realizes that him and his staff may be the issue , and brings a non coach in to help with the power play . You give Trotz the lineup we’re icing , he’s challenging for the cup . Not to mention his player utilization is utter shit . He treats some players with u make one mistake , your glued to the bench , and others , have all the leeway in the world . Management went all in , and the results are directly on this coach . Hopefully Jarmo has seen enough incompetence

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Duchene has twice won the highest glory in ice hockey: the world championship tournament.

Yes, he won the highest glory in ice hockey for Finnish nationalists. Duchene himself did not view it as the highest glory in ice hockey, one could assume, given that Canadians generally don't care much for it.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Never been so lucky to have to work on a Saturday

Don Cherry was giving Adam McQuaid lots of love on his BS segment tonight..
time to get Kukan back in there

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
What's Joel Quenneville doing these days??? He knows what it takes to win. Did he have a good relationship with Panarin? Probably not but if they hired him, can he convince Artemi to stay?

Panarins fan here. Was watching Chicago (ant Quenneville) for two years Artemi played here. As I recall Chicago fan base spoke almost the same bad things about Joel like you do about the Torts - crazy/stupid lineup decisions, good guys sit in doghouse but idiots are on the ice etc. etc. And it was really bad performance of a star-loaded team in recent years.

Its difficult to say about the Joels relationship with Panarin. First, Artemi was really meh english speaker, so it looks like they had no much of communication. Panarin never said a bad word on Joel either (at least not in public). My pick is Joel has no contact with Artemij now and I doubt Artemi stays because of Quenneville.

Sorry for my english.

Reactions: Long Live Lyle

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Can't believe we spent 14 hours round trip, a night in a hotel and a speeding ticket in Pomeroy, OH to watch that ****!!! Not a happy camper right now.

Edit: Forgot $24 in WV turnpike fees, $15 parking and a $30 hat for the kid.

Dude, I feel for you....all week I've be eyeing this game as one to attend (I try to attend at least one game a season, it's a 10 hr round trip, from SW Ontario).
I had this feeling it would be a great game to catch live.....been bugging my wife about it.....I was *this* close to buying tickets......but we couldn't get out of a commitment we had.

Thank GOD.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Dude, I feel for you....all week I've be eyeing this game as one to attend (I try to attend at least one game a season, it's a 10 hr round trip, from SW Ontario).
I had this feeling it would be a great game to catch live.....been bugging my wife about it.....I was *this* close to buying tickets......but we couldn't get out of a commitment we had.

Thank GOD.

The truth is that you never know what you will get and I am ok with losing but this just looked like no effort. Totally unacceptable.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Has Tortorella lost the room?

Ask again after the game later today, but I'd wait until Monday if it's another loss. I tend to not to ask these questions after a loss like this, fans tend to be over dramatic and emotional.

Honestly, I don't think "losing the room" is really the question. I think it's fairly well determined that he's probably not in the top 5 coaches in the league, probably around 15. He's routinely outcoached but the better head coaches. A bad Hitch coached team just came into Nationwide and destroyed us. If we win against the teams with the better head coaches it's probably more about our players than anything the coaching staff did.

I've been tolerant of Torts because the players seem to be motivated to come out and play hard. The additional of these new players seem to have shaken up that dynamic and affected the players in a negative manner. I tend to think it will be short in duration, but it might end up being enough to push us out. We could, very well, have been better off just sticking what we had. To be honest, trading Panarin and trading for Dz might have been the better strategy.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
panic-button.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad