Line Combos: Early 2022-2023 Line combo predictions

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I think the sens had a really weak schedule for the last while of last season. I think that may have effected some of these stats. Makes Hamonic's statistics even worse but whatever, team will be a lot different this year, wish we could just get started !

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m slowly warming to the idea of keeping Zaitsev as our 7th D.

Running with
Chabot Zub
Brannstrom Hamonic
Sanderson Holden
Zaitsev

Is not great but it’s something I could live with for a while.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Running with
Chabot Zub
Brannstrom Hamonic
Sanderson Holden
Zaitsev

Nothing wrong with Z as a $2.5 million dman now that his bonus is paid. He’d be the best and cheapest 7th D we’ve had in years.

Reactions: DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apparently right now according to Dorion, the expectation is Gambrell will center the 4th line on opening night as Kastelic looks like he still needs seasoning in the AHL and Kelly has the 4th line winger spot, it's his to lose.

Not really surprising, but set your expectations accordingly I guess. Might be a PTO to fill in if Formenton isn't signed, maybe a guy like Brassard could come in as a bottom six guy.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Will wisely play half season in AHL unless he has killer camp.

I really like Lassi’s progress but he certainly seems like a guy whose confidence will have to be carefully managed. As such, not a bad idea to overcook him.

Apparently right now according to Dorion, the expectation is Gambrell will center the 4th line on opening night as Kastelic looks like he still needs seasoning in the AHL and Kelly has the 4th line winger spot, it's his to lose.

Not really surprising, but set your expectations accordingly I guess. Might be a PTO to fill in if Formenton isn't signed, maybe a guy like Brassard could come in as a bottom six guy.

Disappointing about Kastelic and Gambrell but not surprising given contract statuses. I’ll just have to hope Kastelic blows the doors off at camp.

Dominance in the face off circle is the first step, get it done Mark.

Running with
Chabot Zub
Brannstrom Hamonic
Sanderson Holden
Zaitsev

With the caveat that DJ has to be on board. If we see DJ start sneaking him in the lineup and the minutes start creeping up to top 4 level, bury him in Belleville immediately.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So DJ says they will be starting the year with:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stützle-Giroux

Chabot-Zub

Dorion seemed to indicate our 4th will be
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson

And Holden and Hamonic are locks, so that may be a pairing or they may be split up.

Joseph and Pinto seem like locks for the 3rd line and Formenton if he signs, DJ said Pinto was their biggest loss last year,

Pretty much looking like the lines will be as most as expected. DJ did mention wanting to try Giroux in Batherson's spot, and line will inevitably get juggled when injuries happen or things aren't working.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So DJ says they will be starting the year with:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stützle-Giroux

Chabot-Zub

Dorion seemed to indicate our 4th will be
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson

And Holden and Hamonic are locks, so that may be a pairing or they may be split up.

Joseph and Pinto seem like locks for the 3rd line and Formenton if he signs, DJ said Pinto was their biggest loss last year,

Pretty much looking like the lines will be as most as expected. DJ did mention wanting to try Giroux in Batherson's spot, and line will inevitably get juggled when injuries happen or things aren't working.

Nice to see the Sens are still making their prospect earn spots. Kastellic is going to have to beat out Gambrell for 4C before he’s handed anything.

No room at all for Greig unless we see an injury or trade.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice to see the Sens are still making their prospect earn spots. Kastellic is going to have to beat out Gambrell for 4C before he’s handed anything.

No room at all for Greig unless we see an injury or trade.
I think with the injury to his shoulder, Greig isn't likely to be an option for the opeining night roster (unless they use it to burn his 1 game suspension). Formenton could remain unsigned, so that could open up a spot for somebody.

There was never really much chance they'd tell the world Kastelic was a lock for 4th line center, or that Sanderson was a lock for opening night. Even if they believe it to be the case, they are going to signal those spots need to be earned.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think with the injury to his shoulder, Greig isn't likely to be an option for the opeining night roster (unless they use it to burn his 1 game suspension). Formenton could remain unsigned, so that could open up a spot for somebody.

There was never really much chance they'd tell the world Kastelic was a lock for 4th line center, or that Sanderson was a lock for opening night. Even if they believe it to be the case, they are going to signal those spots need to be earned.

I agree - they can burn the suspension without Greig leaving Belleville.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree - they can burn the suspension without Greig leaving Belleville.
Yeah, and I hope they do burn it with a paper transaction. First day the Sens play that Belleville has off Greig should be called up on paper to burn that suspension.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so.... it looks like if everyone is signed and healthy, the opening night lineup will look like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom/Holden-Zaitsev

Forsberg
Talbot

Lets compare that to the roster from last year, based on guys with the most games played per position, all these guys played half the games except Murray:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Brown
Paul-Tierney-Watson
Sanford-Gambrell-Ennis

Chabot-Zub
Holden-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-J.Brown

Forsberg
Murray

So, out: C.Brown, Paul, Sanford, Ennis, Tierney, J.Brown, maybe Zaitsev, and Murray
In: DeBrincat, Giroux, Pinto, Joseph, Kelly, Sanderson, Hamonic,

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don’t like retreaded retreads! :)

Ok, so.... it looks like if everyone is signed and healthy, the opening night lineup will look like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic

Forsberg
Talbot

Lets compare that to the roster from last year, based on guys with the most games played per position, all these guys played half the games except Murray:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Brown
Paul-Tierney-Watson
Sanford-Gambrell-Ennis

Chabot-Zub
Holden-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-J.Brown

Forsberg
Murray

So, out: C.Brown, Paul, Sanford, Ennis, Tierney, J.Brown, maybe Zaitsev, and Murray
Connor Brown and Nick Paul are the only real losses as Zaitsev remains on the roster.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic

Forsberg
Talbot

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Brown
Paul-Tierney-Watson
Sanford-Gambrell-Ennis

Chabot-Zub
Holden-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-J.Brown

Forsberg
Murray

It's a significant upgrade in talent from the 2nd through 4th lines.

The bottom 4 D should also be quite a bit better and if Sanderson is who we think he is then they will be quite a bit better by Xmas or just after.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The bottom 4 D should also be quite a bit better and if Sanderson is who we think he is then they will be quite a bit better by Xmas or just after.
And then you can hope for better health, Norris missed 16 games, Chabot 23, and Batherson 36. We won't be perfectly healthy next year but odds are our key players won't miss that many again.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would have been happy with Debrincat & Connor Brown on line 2 with Stuitzle. Getting Giroux is an upgrade too; however, if I had a choice I would have preferred getting a top 4 D and retaining Brown.

I think the D still needs an upgrade over Holden, Hamonic, Brannstrom, & Zaitsev. I also hope Sanderson recovers from his injury and becomes a solid top 4 D by Xmas.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
And then you can hope for better health, Norris missed 16 games, Chabot 23, and Batherson 36. We won't be perfectly healthy next year but odds are our key players won't miss that many again.
For sure. Health of goaltenders is right up there.

Pinto being back is big and I am really excited to see Batherson back to full health.

The Drake was turning into an animal before that cheap shot with muti-point games and presence all over the ice. I think he will be our top point producer this year.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I don’t like retreaded retreads! :)

Connor Brown and Nick Paul are the only real losses as Zaitsev remains on the roster.
Oh come on!

What about Chris f..ing Tierney?

For sure. Health of goaltenders is right up there.

Pinto being back is big and I am really excited to see Batherson back to full health.

The Drake was turning into an animal before that cheap shot with muti-point games and presence all over the ice. I think he will be our top point producer this year.
He was something like 8th in the league in PPG before getting injured iirc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad