Line Combos: Early 2022-2023 Line combo predictions

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We'll have a better idea after the draft and UFA period, but who wants to wait for that...

I love the way Stutzle plays at center, but I think we need to get him some support at the draw. That might mean playing him with Tkachuk so that Brady can take the important draws.

Tkachuk-Stu-Brown
Joseph-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot looks great with Zub, I think we keep them together, and Hamonic could be good insulation for Sanderson. I think Holden and Brannstrom have looked good together so I'd go with that and run with a 2a/2b (or 3a/3b) kind of setup where there is no clear 2nd or 3rd pair, but I am hoping we find ourselves a legit top 4 D to play the right side and push Hamonic into a 3rd pair role.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Holden-Brannstrom (doesn't matter who plays their offside, I think most of the time it should be Holden on the right, but Brannstrom moving to the right when we need more offense).

PP 1 - 1st unit is pretty easy, Tkachuk in front of the net creating havoc, Norris ripping one timers, Bath, Stu and Chabot setting up plays.

Batherson - Tkachuk - Stutzle
Norris-Chabot

PP2 - 2nd unit is a bit of a spare part scenario. White has been most effective as a garbage man type role, he's alright and collecting lose pucks and putting them towards the net. Pinto has some creativity and works hard, also had a good one timer in UND, he should be on unit two in a role similar to Norris'. Not sure who of Brown, Formenton and Joseph should fill out the other two forward positions, I'd give Brown and Joseph the first shot at it though. Brannstrom is a good PP QB, and really the only option after chabot, I guess Sanderson might be given a look, but as a rookie, I'd be hesitant to get him out there right away.

Brown-White-Joseph/Formenton
Pinto-Brannstrom

PK 1 - This is where things get tricky with Paul gone,

Norris-Brown
Holden-Zub

PK 2

Pinto-Formenton
Sanderson-Hamonic

Extra PK guys; Watson, Joseph, Kelly, White, Kastelic, Brannstrom.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Batherson and Stu both play way to risky to be on the same line. He needs to go back to the wing

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Terrible take.

assennayo

Stu is like 12th on the team 5vrs5 scoring p60. His +-is an absolute disaster.
He continues to let the other center pick his pocket when the Dman slows him up. He needs to have his back against the boards for protection. He looks fast as hell and has all the skill in the world but he can't work the cycle, he passes when he should shoot or he just skates around showing moves and creating zero chances.
If his brain ever catches his feet he will be a top player but for now he just dekes with his head down 80% of the time and then he turns the puck over. The extra time and space he gets on the PP gives him a chance to show what hes got so hopefully he gets "it". It's a big jump from where he was to the NHL so I am sure he will figure it out sooner or later.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Wish we had a dislike button
You don't think with his skill he should be better than the 12th most productive player 5vrs5?
With his speed and skill there is zero reason to be outscored like that. a Minus 27? Obviously he is struggling at center.

Reactions: aragorn

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Stu is like 12th on the team 5vrs5 scoring p60. His +-is an absolute disaster.
He continues to let the other center pick his pocket when the Dman slows him up. He needs to have his back against the boards for protection. He looks fast as hell and has all the skill in the world but he can't work the cycle, he passes when he should shoot or he just skates around showing moves and creating zero chances.
If his brain ever catches his feet he will be a top player but for now he just dekes with his head down 80% of the time and then he turns the puck over. The extra time and space he gets on the PP gives him a chance to show what hes got so hopefully he gets "it". It's a big jump from where he was to the NHL so I am sure he will figure it out sooner or later.
Did you watch the games? There was a noticeable improvement once he switched to centre.

You know why he’s turning over pucks? Because he’s one of the youngest players in the league. Putting him on the wing is not the solution.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Did you watch the games? There was a noticeable improvement once he switched to centre.

You know why he’s turning over pucks? Because he’s one of the youngest players in the league. Putting him on the wing is not the solution.
Did his post look like the post of someone who watched the game last season ?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stu-Brown
Joseph-Pinto-White
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Obviously we need a top 6 impact player for line 2, then we can move Formenton down to line 3 and then we're looking a lot better.

Reactions: DrEasy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
XXX Stützle XXX
Formenton Pinto Joseph
Kelly Kastelic Watson

Chabot Zub
Sanderson XXX
Holden Hamonic

Three spots need to be decided on this off season
Brown isn't traded until he's traded though. And he can be a nice contributor to the 2nd line.

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
You don't think with his skill he should be better than the 12th most productive player 5vrs5?
With his speed and skill there is zero reason to be outscored like that. a Minus 27? Obviously he is struggling at center.
he's 20 years old and is in his second NHL season.

As others have mentioned, as the year progress, so did jimmy. especially with his 5v5 play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - C. Brown
Formenton - White - Joseph
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev/MDZ/Brann

Forsberg - Murray/Gustavsson

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Top 6 should look something like this:

Top 6 forward not grown on a tree - Stutzle - Top 6 forward not grown on a tree
I doubt that the team acquires two forwards who are or become top 6 forwards next season. Hopefully one or both of Formenton &/or Joseph will blossom as a top 6 forward in the 2022-23 season. If not, we're going to miss the playoffs again.

Reactions: Tuna99

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
XXX Stützle XXX
Formenton Pinto Joseph
Kelly Kastelic Watson

Chabot Zub
Sanderson XXX
Holden Hamonic

Three spots need to be decided on this off season
You're missing some players with NHL contracts: White, Brown, Zaitsev, & Del Zotto, plus one who likely will be getting one: Brannson. I think those XXXs could be filled with some of those.

Stutzle - Pinto - C. Brown
Formenton - White - Joseph

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic

Not shaping up as a playoff bound roster.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not shaping up as a playoff bound roster.
No it's not, they still need to move a lot of baggage & sign some better players.

Holden, Hamonic, Watson & MDZ are all UFAs that should all be gone by the TDL. They need to find a way to move White, Zaitsev & Murray & they should also upgrade from Gambrell, Brannstrom & Kelly. That's 10 players half the team they dress for games that need to be replaced at some point.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No it's not, they still need to move a lot of baggage & sign some better players.

Holden, Hamonic, Watson & MDZ are all UFAs that should all be gone by the TDL. They need to find a way to move White, Zaitsev & Murray & they should also upgrade from Gambrell, Brannstrom & Kelly. That's 10 players half the team they dress for games that need to be replaced at some point.
I don't know why you'd want to get rid of Holden and Hamonic - even Watson. These are really effective role players, especially Holden who can play both sides. White, Zaitsev and Murray are guys that need to be purged.

Also, why worry about Kelly? He's, what, a 13th forward on our optimal lineup?

Let's get Fiala and a good right handed D-man and then let the lineup readjust to that.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know why you'd want to get rid of Holden and Hamonic - even Watson. These are really effective role players, especially Holden who can play both sides. White, Zaitsev and Murray are guys that need to be purged.

Also, why worry about Kelly? He's, what, a 13th forward on our optimal lineup?

Let's get Fiala and a good right handed D-man and then let the lineup readjust to that.
They are all UFAs & getting up there in age, I assume that they try & trade them by the TDL, they aren't getting any better & we have guys who should be ready by next yr's TDL.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We'll have a better idea after the draft and UFA period, but who wants to wait for that...

I love the way Stutzle plays at center, but I think we need to get him some support at the draw. That might mean playing him with Tkachuk so that Brady can take the important draws.

Tkachuk-Stu-Brown
Joseph-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot looks great with Zub, I think we keep them together, and Hamonic could be good insulation for Sanderson. I think Holden and Brannstrom have looked good together so I'd go with that and run with a 2a/2b (or 3a/3b) kind of setup where there is no clear 2nd or 3rd pair, but I am hoping we find ourselves a legit top 4 D to play the right side and push Hamonic into a 3rd pair role.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Holden-Brannstrom (doesn't matter who plays their offside, I think most of the time it should be Holden on the right, but Brannstrom moving to the right when we need more offense).

PP 1 - 1st unit is pretty easy, Tkachuk in front of the net creating havoc, Norris ripping one timers, Bath, Stu and Chabot setting up plays.

Batherson - Tkachuk - Stutzle
Norris-Chabot

PP2 - 2nd unit is a bit of a spare part scenario. White has been most effective as a garbage man type role, he's alright and collecting lose pucks and putting them towards the net. Pinto has some creativity and works hard, also had a good one timer in UND, he should be on unit two in a role similar to Norris'. Not sure who of Brown, Formenton and Joseph should fill out the other two forward positions, I'd give Brown and Joseph the first shot at it though. Brannstrom is a good PP QB, and really the only option after chabot, I guess Sanderson might be given a look, but as a rookie, I'd be hesitant to get him out there right away.

Brown-White-Joseph/Formenton
Pinto-Brannstrom

PK 1 - This is where things get tricky with Paul gone,

Norris-Brown
Holden-Zub

PK 2

Pinto-Formenton
Sanderson-Hamonic

Extra PK guys; Watson, Joseph, Kelly, White, Kastelic, Brannstrom.

No offense but that top-6 is WOOF.

Ain't going anywhere again this upcoming season if we have both Brown and Joseph on the top two lines.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Here is the roster as signed to NHL contracts now or expected to sign/make the roster (Sanderson & Brannson):

Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Joseph-Stutzle-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-White
Kelly-Gambrell-Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Zaitsev
Brannson - Del Zotto

Murray
Forsberg
Gustavsson

LTIR, buyouts and trades could change the situation; however, this is what it is shaping up to be.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If no moves are made:

Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Stutzle - Pinto - Batherson
Formenton - White - C. Brown

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic

- they need to upgrade on at least five forwards & five defencemen & one goalie from this lineup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad