Line Combos: Early 2022-2023 Line combo predictions

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I have views on trades and draft picks that sometimes differ from those of the GM and scouting staff. When they make trades or draft picks that I think are not what I would have done, I am not afraid to say so. I do not accept that the GM and scouting staff make the right moves all the time and just cheer for the team anyway. Sometimes I am right; sometimes I am wrong. But I have fun doing it.
Of course, all I'm saying is that in any pick trade that happens on the floor, the guy that's chosen is not what that team wants.

I'll never forget that interaction between Burke and Murray about flipping the 7th and 9th picks in 2009. Burke asked Murray, "who do you want there?" and Murray said Kadri. Burke quickly shut it down telling Murray that's who they're taking, and the conversation was over.

So Ottawa would have asked the Rangers the same question and if they said their guy was JBD, the trade would never have happened and Miller would've been taken later. That 2nd round pick was a bonus, just didn't turn out well.

Now if they got 9 2nd round picks, then that would've been something. Maybe even a cup!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If no Formenton:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Brassard-Watson

Depth takes a serious hit. Motte isn't nearly as great a scorer as Formenton, but he's much better defensive guy and also contributes same physical and high pace game. Could be a powerful, shutdown, tenacious line in retrospect.

If not for Greig's shoulder injury, he would easily take 3LW with Motte centreing 4th line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If no Formenton:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Brassard-Watson

Depth takes a serious hit. Motte isn't nearly as great a scorer as Formenton, but he's much better defensive guy and also contributes same physical and high pace game. Could be a powerful, shutdown, tenacious line in retrospect.

If not for Greig's shoulder injury, he would easily take 3LW with Motte centreing 4th line.
Motte is not a 3rd liner. Brassard is not a 4th liner. This would be horrible.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If no Formenton:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Brassard-Watson

This is likely what we see on opening night other than Brassard, hopefully.

Swap Brassard for Kastelic, he plays a lot harder, faster and is stronger. Better defensively, better along the boards and on the cycle. Brassard is a bit of a weird fit there. Kastelic completes that line very well.

Reactions: Bileur and Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is likely what we see on opening night other than Brassard, hopefully.

Swap Brassard for Kastelic, he plays a lot harder, faster and is stronger. Better defensively, better along the boards and on the cycle. Brassard is a bit of a weird fit there. Kastelic completes that line very well.
That’s what I’d hope for but they really like gambrell. I don’t hate him as 4c but I prefer kastelic

Senovision

May 23, 2011
JoNo ( Josh Norris) will have a great season and score 38 goals because he has Jonovision.
Haysebee on Overdrive yesterday trolled the Sens yet again by saying he thinks DeBrincat will only get 28 goals this year.... He is such a Leafs homerboy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JoNo ( Josh Norris) will have a great season and score 38 goals because he has Jonovision.
Haysebee on Overdrive yesterday trolled the Sens yet again by saying he thinks DeBrincat will only get 28 goals this year.... He is such a Leafs homerboy.
Like... J-Roc from trailer park boys Jonovision?

D34yUFYW4AAEdev.jpg
This guy?

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Lol. I couldn't resist. Jonathan Torrens also played the principal and vice principal on the show Mr. D. JoNo my nickname for Josh Norris. When he sets up a linemate for a goal he will have used his Jonovision. :cool:

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't want to see Zaitsev play under any circumstance. He's really bad. The team would need to be decimated by injuries to justify playing him. Thomson is a way better player. I prefer Heatherington too. He shouldn't play unless 4 players are hurt.

1. Chabot
2. Zub
3. Holden
4. Hamonic
5. Brannstrom
6. Sanderson
7. Thomson
8. JBD
9. Heatherington
10. Zaitsev

That should be the depth chart if they stay true to playing the best players. The tiers for me 1 -2, 3-7, 8-10 in terms of playing time.
Same. I hate the “yeah he’s bad at 4.5 and in the top 4 but he’s good with his bonus paid and on the bottom pair”. Like no. He’s bad. No matter how much money he makes opposing players go around him all the same.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Same. I hate the “yeah he’s bad at 4.5 and in the top 4 but he’s good with his bonus paid and on the bottom pair”. Like no. He’s bad. No matter how much money he makes opposing players go around him all the same.
I mean, where you're slotted definitely makes a difference, it's acceptable to have Jack Johnson play 11 mins a night on the SC champs, but it's not acceptable to have him leading the team on icetime, he's the same player but the role matters.

Zaitsev is unacceptable as a top pair foil to Chabot or as a shutdown D matching up against the oppositions best, but with reduced mins on the bottom pair and killing penalties he might be able to be passable. I'd personally rather we run with Holden, but I'm not sure Zaitsev is significantly worse than most other teams 6th Dman.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I mean, where you're slotted definitely makes a difference, it's acceptable to have Jack Johnson play 11 mins a night on the SC champs, but it's not acceptable to have him leading the team on icetime, he's the same player but the role matters.

Zaitsev is unacceptable as a top pair foil to Chabot or as a shutdown D matching up against the oppositions best, but with reduced mins on the bottom pair and killing penalties he might be able to be passable. I'd personally rather we run with Holden, but I'm not sure Zaitsev is significantly worse than most other teams 6th Dman.
I think all that anyone wants is for players to play on merit, not on contract. If Zaitsev plays his best hockey, he belongs in our top 6. If he plays like he has for most of the last two years.... I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Micklebot

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's about the role they want their 3rd pairing to play as to who ends up playing in those positions. If they think Zaitsev fits that role better than Brannstrom then he will be the one who plays that position. IMO the first 5 D spots are taken with Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Hamonic & Holden & the only spot left will likely go to Zaitsev & Brannstrom will sub in from time to time. Of course, injuries happen or changes are made on performance that will likely change things too from time to time, game to game. And 3 of the guys on D at this time are all UFAs going into the season that could be part of the decision process going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That’s what I’d hope for but they really like gambrell. I don’t hate him as 4c but I prefer kastelic
I think Gambrell was signed to be the 12th or 13th forward, replacing Ennis on the roster. With the Formenton situation I think they signed Motte as insurance in the event the situation drags on through the season which it appears will be the case. If Kastelic beats out Gambrell and Motte for a 4th line position, he might be the starting C.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Sokolov-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Motte-Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Brannstrom/Zaitsev

Formenton will sign a week into the season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His biggest problem is his decision making coupled with way below average puck skills. He just doesn't have it.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Debrincat - Stutzle - P. Kane
Formenton - Pinto - Giroux
Kastelic - Kelly - Motte

Ott: Patrick Kane
Chi: 1st Rd pick, Lassi Thomson, Mathieu Joseph, Tyler Boucher

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Kastelic - Kelly - Motte

No to Kane, would be a bad pickup, as we would just lose him, since no cap space to resign him and DeBrincat.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Kastelic - Kelly - Motte

Absolutely brutal.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Sokolov-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Motte-Watson

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Brannstrom/Zaitsev

Formenton will sign a week into the season.

Motte is not a C. If he plays it will be LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad