Eagles fire Chip Kelly

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From Eagle OL Lane Johnson
"Maybe the ego got in the way," Johnson said. "Too much power. Control. Not being human about things; not working together, with the team, instead of being a dictator."

That is a damning indictment of Kelly

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
coach belichick on kelly per espn

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick put his public support behind former Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, as well as the overall coaching profession, early Thursday morning. The Eagles fired Kelly on Tuesday after three seasons.

"I'd say it's really disappointing. I mean, Chip Kelly, to me, is a really good football coach. He does a great job and he's done a great job with that team," Belichick said in an expansive news conference. "Pretty much everyone is on a one-year contract in this league. I don't know how you build a program in one year. ... Chip is a great coach. He'll end up somewhere and will do a great job there."

Also, as it relates to Kelly's personnel acumen, which had come under scrutiny, Belichick added, "I'd say a lot of the players that were on the Eagles, that are no longer on the Eagles, aren't really doing too much for anybody else either."

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think Bill Cowher would rather take the milk gallon challenge using windshield washer fluid than work with Tom Donahoe

I think he'd rather drive into the Ohio River than coach for the Eagles. Given his life-long ties to Western Penn. Among other things and issues.

A couple of former Eagles said that after they were let go. What didn't make sense about it is they were all replaced with black players.

Thats fair, but he cuts D-Jax because of "suspected gang ties." Which is BS.

To quote part of an article, Jackson is a young black male from inner city L.A, yes there is a very good chance he has friends in gangs or grew up with family member(s) in a gang but that in no way connects him to the gang. He isnt sporting tattoos like Javaris Crittenton nor broadcasting his support. It seemed like Kelly was a bit of a racist in that regard.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
apparently according to espn, kelly was interested in the navy opening. but navy was not, that makes it confusing because the navy coach stayed week before kelly was fired

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The whole thing reminds me of when AVB went to Chelsea. Hailed as visionary, super progressive systems-oriented approach. Failed to win over locker room from the get-go, at least in part because he didn't think it's necessary and displayed an arrogant attitude. He underestimated the effect that things done to one or two players can have on the rest of the team if there's not an overall consensus you're doing the right thing for the team.

It's never just what you do, it's also how you sell what you're doing. A leader needs to earn the respect and trust of those meant to follow him by proving his value as a leader. I think Kelly messed up there and poisoned the well for himself.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
BB in my mind is the greatest coach of all time, but that comment about the players Kelly dropped being scrubs is total non-sense. Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin have looked great on their respective new teams.

McCoy has been injured in his first year with his bills and although he performed well it seems like he certainly has peaked as a player. Never a bad move to sell high on a a RB, especially one with some wear and tear

Jackson has around 1600 yards in two years with the skins. That's solid but it isn't worth what his price tag was (I believe he signed a 5/51 deal in 2012 which was more than that 9.4 annual franchise tag for a WR at the time)

Maclin is a great player. No doubting that. He thought he could replace him with Agholor in the system. He was wrong, at least in the present. But once you add big name cuts that didn't pan out elsewhere like Mathis, Herremans, and Cole and it's not like Belichick is really all that wrong. He wasn't really calling them scrubs IMO- but a bunch of those guys he got rid of are either on the downswing or just aren't all that effective and Chip is taking heat for it

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Eagles RB coach Duce Staley had interviewed for Philadelphia's head coaching job, per*@Edwerderespn.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Dont mean to be cynical, but that is probably just to fill the minority requirement. Though he has been a coach for 5 years.

Edit < I forgot they are probably going to interview Hue Jackson.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
BB in my mind is the greatest coach of all time, but that comment about the players Kelly dropped being scrubs is total non-sense. Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin have looked great on their respective new teams.

Thats just B^2 being himself.

Dont mean to be cynical, but that is probably just to fill the minority requirement. Though he has been a coach for 5 years.

Edit < I forgot they are probably going to interview Hue Jackson.

Part of it might have to do with them wanting to at least say they checked their own staff, and cause John Harbaugh was hired off their special teams staff, aka relative obscurity. So they dont want to miss out on someone like that again.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Chiefs OC Doug Pederson expected to be a leading candidate for Philadelphia HC job, per sources. Pederson coached in Philly from 2009-12.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
McCoy has been injured in his first year with his bills and although he performed well it seems like he certainly has peaked as a player. Never a bad move to sell high on a a RB, especially one with some wear and tear

Jackson has around 1600 yards in two years with the skins. That's solid but it isn't worth what his price tag was (I believe he signed a 5/51 deal in 2012 which was more than that 9.4 annual franchise tag for a WR at the time)

Maclin is a great player. No doubting that. He thought he could replace him with Agholor in the system. He was wrong, at least in the present. But once you add big name cuts that didn't pan out elsewhere like Mathis, Herremans, and Cole and it's not like Belichick is really all that wrong. He wasn't really calling them scrubs IMO- but a bunch of those guys he got rid of are either on the downswing or just aren't all that effective and Chip is taking heat for it
Letting the perception take hold that the team was other than a meritocracy was poisonous.

Even Jimmy Johnson admits he made that mistake his first year bringing in too many Hurricanes.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
McCoy has been injured in his first year with his bills and although he performed well it seems like he certainly has peaked as a player. Never a bad move to sell high on a a RB, especially one with some wear and tear t

I wouldnt say he "sold high" - Alonso has hardly made an impact & was already coming off a serious injury.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Chiefs OC Doug Pederson expected to be a leading candidate for Philadelphia HC job, per sources. Pederson coached in Philly from 2009-12.

I can see it. Knows the system well & is a favorite of Lurie, but it would be an easier choice if the likes of D-Jax, Maclin & McCoy were around since they know him from before.

Hes done a great job with Smith & KC's offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad