Eagles fire Chip Kelly

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not really. They don't have a crystal ball. They couldn't afford to wait and lose their top 5 recruiting class plus Chip ain't going back to college.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So did murray talk with the owner do anything? Is this firing a result of demarco murray voicing displeasure few weeks back?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He's still a good coach with some really good ideas. Bad coaches don't go 10-6 two years in a row, much less with the kind of rosters the Eagles have had.

If he went to a team with a strong personnel-oriented GM and a good QB I think we'd get a clearer picture of what he's capable of. Tennessee could be a very good opening for him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's still a good coach with some really good ideas. Bad coaches don't go 10-6 two years in a row, much less with the kind of rosters the Eagles have had.

I don't know, Jim Caldwell keeps hanging around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Called it. Hes a decent coach but I think hes way more suited for college or to be an OC in the NFL, he isnt the right guy to have complete control over the coaching staff let alone personnel decisions.

Now imagine if they had kept even one or two of D-Jax, Maclin and McCoy. Losing Maclin was the worst, why he expected a sophomore (Matthews) and a rookie (Aghlor) to repalce his production is beyond me. Im not even sure its a coincidence he relased/let go all three of those guys after their career years.

Lurie tends to be a pretty patient guy but obviously Kelly was never going to work out as a GM, few coaches do. The one kicker for me was the whole "We traded LeSean for cap reasons...... but were going to give Murray more $$$ even tho he isnt as good" then of course that blows up in his face, Alonso struggles and is injured again and he also gives Mathews too much money. Lets also alienate some of our veteran defensive players and release them and while were at it lets lowball the Titans so I cna draft my surrogate child Mariota.

Doesnt help that he has a perfectly good and capable QB who had really excelled under him, yet he trades for the guy whos coming off two torn ACLs and has one healthy season in 5 NFL seasons. Who also made like 10 million more. That move right there was surely influenced by him being a big shot in college "lets grab the QB who was awesome in college {5-8 years ago} and get rid of the one who is great for my system"

Speaking of..... My $$$ is on the Titans or A & M.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Dream team was actually an entertaining year. They invented new ways to lose and they were in pretty much every game.

Not surprised. Heard some reports that Kelly was always uncomfortable around black players. & he gave Cooper only a 4 day leave after his comments. {This in response tot he tweet that isnt showing}

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
So apparently Kelly doesn't want player personnel control in his next job, but refused to give it up in Philly...

So imagine you are a team looking for a coach. Would any GM suggest hiring Kelly? No way. No GM wants to hire a guy who stabbed his last GM in the back. Hell, that's why Ted Nolan was unemployable in the NHL for over a decade.

Maybe a team like Dallas or Cleveland could go with Kelly. Dallas because there is no GM to stab in the back and Cleveland because their horrible structure has the GM and coach independently reporting to the owner.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
So imagine you are a team looking for a coach. Would any GM suggest hiring Kelly? No way. No GM wants to hire a guy who stabbed his last GM in the back. Hell, that's why Ted Nolan was unemployable in the NHL for over a decade.

Maybe a team like Dallas or Cleveland could go with Kelly. Dallas because there is no GM to stab in the back and Cleveland because their horrible structure has the GM and coach independently reporting to the owner.

Howie Roseman isn't some saint either. A well known snake.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Howie Roseman stabbed Kelly in the back last year by firing Tom Gamble in a dick measuring contest between Chip and Roseman.

Chip then won after threatening to quit and Roseman got placed in corner office and stripped of his GM duties.

Howie got the last laugh here and the Eagles franchise will pay for it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Howie Roseman stabbed Kelly in the back last year by firing Tom Gamble in a dick measuring contest between Chip and Roseman.

Chip then won after threatening to quit and Roseman got placed in corner office and stripped of his GM duties.

Howie got the last laugh here and the Eagles franchise will pay for it.

They've already paid for it because Howie is who he is. It's not because of Chip.

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Were they supposed to wait another month on a guy who probably doesn't want to go back to coaching college considering he didn't like recruiting and booster events?

Yes, because they could get Helton or the functional equivalent at literally any time. It's called playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The only thing I don't get is why now and not Sunday Night/Monday?

The obvious thing is to say he's going to the Titans, but I wouldn't get too comfortable if I'm Charlie Strong right now.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The only thing I don't get is why now and not Sunday Night/Monday?

The obvious thing is to say he's going to the Titans, but I wouldn't get too comfortable if I'm Charlie Strong right now.

Lurie said to get a jump on the other teams on looking at candidates and to be fair to Kelly to let him survey the market.

(Assuming you mean next week Sunday Night/Monday and not earlier this week)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Chip Kelly can coach in the NFL, his biggest mistake was getting involved in the GM decisions. He made the playoffs followed by a playoffs miss as a result of Nick Foles getting hurt and this season for missing the playoffs was all on him.

If I was the owner of the Eagles, I would have fired both the GM and the Head Coach the moment they get rid of Nick Foles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->