Each franchise's top five players historically?

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
Detroit is tough. This would be my Detroit list

1. Gordie Howe
2. Nicklas Lidstrom
3. Steve Yzerman
4. Red Kelly
5. Terry Sawchuk

HM: Ted Lindsay

It's really tough to leave Lindsay off, but from what I've read about the 1950s dynasty, Red Kelly was considered much more important to the team than Sawchuk or Lindsay. This is also reflected in Hart voting.

I was around at the time and I never thought I would live long enough to see a Red Wings top five list that did not include both Kelly and Lindsay as well as Sawchuk and Howe. Your estimation of Kelly's value is spot on in my view. But Lindsay provided a definite spark to the Wings; when the team needed a push, he stirred things up and got them going. Apart from his superb skills, he was gritty and determined--never say die.

That's the problem with selecting a limited number of top players from a team that has had several periods of success: you have to exclude players it kills you to exclude. It's the same with the team I support, the Canadiens. It's the original poster's fault; he should have asked for top 10 lists! Top 20?

CloneHakanPlease*

1. Gordie Howe
2. Nicklas Lidstrom
3. Steve Yzerman
4. Red Kelly
5. Terry Sawchuk

It's really tough to leave Lindsay off, but from what I've read about the 1950s dynasty, Red Kelly was considered much more important to the team than Sawchuk or Lindsay. This is also reflected in Hart voting.

Yup. It's kinda sad to see people rank players like Chelios and Hasek ahead of guys like Fedorov. Nostalgia is a hilarious thing.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Like I said, Yzerman had a very good career. That does not change the fact that each player I put higher on the list had a better career than him.

Let's go through your arguments:
-Finished top 10 in scoring 5 times from 1984-1993
Lindsay finished top 5 in scoring 6 times, Howe 20 times.

-1989 Lester B award
Of the players on my list only Lidstrom and Hasek were eligible for the award during their peak. Hasek won it twice. It's now called the Ted Lindsay award btw.

-1998 Conn Smythe
Lidstrom and Hall have one too. Besides, it has only been awarded since 1965.

-2000 Selke Award
You are right about this, no other player on my list has a Selke. The players above him on my list have 15 Norrises, 12 Vezinas and 8 Harts combined though.

-Captain from 1987-2006
Noone beats him there, good point.

-lead his team to the Cup in 1997, 1998, and 2002
Doug Harvey won the Cup six times, Red Kelly eight.

-lead his team in points 2 out of 3 of those years.
Gordie Howe was the leading playoff scorer six times.

On all the points you listed, except number of years as a captain and winning a Selke, others on the list equal or surpass Yzerman's accomplishments. None of this means that Yzerman career wasn't spectacular, it's just that he doesn't have the same kind of hardware as the others.

Ok, Yzerman oviously played in a more difficult era which is why he doesnt have as much hardware. Did you see the team he was on while scoring all those 100 point seasons? Did you see who was ahead of him in the standings?
1989: Lemieux, Gretzky
1990: Gretzky, Messier
1991: Gretzky, Hull, Oats, Recchi, Cullen
1992: Lemieux, Stevens, Gretzky, Hull, Robitaille, Messier, Roenick
1993: Lemieux, LaFontaine, Oats
Also Consider who was winning the Harts and Arts those years. All HOFers.

How about this. Yzerman brought the Red Wings out of the "dead wings" era and into Glory, that ALONE brings him to the Top 3 Easily. Guys like Hasek, Harvey, Hall, Fetisov should not be ahead of Yzerman at all
-Hasek: won the cup with them in 2002, nothing else
-Harvey: ok..he won six cups with the CANADIENS.
-Hull: 1 Cup, nothing else
-Fetisov: Helped win 2 Cups, nothing else
None of these guys won anything else with the Wings, only with other teams. The only 2 guys you have named who have have hardware WITH the red wings are Lindsay and Howe. Half the players you named won their hardware with other teams. That doesn't make them better with the Red Wings.

Im not saying he should be number 1, but how about the fact that Steve Yzerman's number is hanging in the damn rafters of Joe Louis arena along with 5 other Red Wing greats?

While my players weren't listed in any particular order, I'm pretty humiliated for having not included Nolan rather than Friesen (I'm a huge Nolan fan). Have NO idea how I missed that one.

haha ya me too. When i saw Nolan wasn't there, i was shocked. But its all good.

Last edited:

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Oakland/California/Cleveland:

Gilles Meloche
Dennis Maruk
Al Macadam
Jim Neilson
Carol Vadnais

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
kariya should be #2 on the list after Selanne

In your opinion. Not many objective Ducks fans would agree.

Nieds and Pronger were both Norris candidates and made up two of the top three defensemen in the league for a while while they were here. They also had a huge impact on the Ducks post season success, without them there is no cup. Giguere carried the team on his back to the finals in '03, won a cup in '07 and was a top 5 goalie in the NHL between 2002 and 2008.

At best, Kariya is #5. He was great in the mid to late 90s (arguably a top 5 forward in the league for a couple of years) but never led the team anywhere when it counted and wasn't as good as the 4 guys I had clearly ranked ahead of him.

Rick in MB

Jul 17, 2011
Brandon MB
Winnipeg Jets (old)

Dale Hawerchuk
Thomas Steen
Keith Tkachuk
Teemu Selanee
Teppo Numminen

I'm assuming this is NHL only. If not, this list changes dramatically

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
greatest Canucks
1. Pavel Bure
2. Trevor Linden
3. Daniel Sedin
4. Henrik Sedin
5. Roberto Luongo
9876. Mark Messier :sarcasm:

HMs: Smyl, Gradin, Näslund, Lumme, McLean

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Avs/Nords:

Joe Sakic
Patrick Roy
Peter Forsberg
Peter Stastny
Michel Goulet (an assumption, as I never watched him, nor do I know much about him)

I think it is fair to put him here. He was a great player and not many of those born in the mid 80s are going to know much about him. I certainly think of Goulet when I see the Nordiques name mentioned.

So many players for each team. I look at the Islanders and Oilers list and can think of a lot of players, including Glenn Anderson and Tonelli. The same for Montreal. I will agree with the Caps list based on career tenure with the team of those players. Had we kept Stevens, he would be on that list.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Winnipeg Jets (old)

Dale Hawerchuk
Thomas Steen
Keith Tkachuk
Teemu Selanee
Teppo Numminen

I'm assuming this is NHL only. If not, this list changes dramatically

Boschman, Smail, and Olausson get honorable mentions from me. I liked Essensa too.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I was close to putting Paul MacLean on the list.

Although those teams of the 80's weren't as talented as the Oilers, they were made up of likable players as the ones you named.

Yeah I can't believe I didn't mention MacLean, lol.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I agree with what you said except for the bold part.

Howe, Sawchuk, Lidstrom and Lindsay can easily go ahead of Yzerman.

All those guys I named were at one point or another considered the best players at their position in the NHL. Yzerman has never had that distinction.

This is the classic my daddy is bigger than your big brother argument.

This by position thing is way overrated.

There were 2 guys named Wayne and Mario in the league while Stevie Y was in the league and if we want to take it further the list of centers that Yzerman competed against is just downright incredible compared to Lindsay's competition.

While I think sometimes that Stevie Y gets a bit overrated in this section he definitely belongs on any top 5 list for Detroit IMO.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

1. Gordie Howe
2. Nicklas Lidstrom
3. Steve Yzerman
4. Red Kelly
5. Terry Sawchuk

I like this list but find it hard to keep Federov off, mainly for his playoff resume, but I really can't take anyone off either.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, no wonder Rafalski was starting to have enough issues to the point he just said.. ya know, I've had enough.

Elias still does quite well even when you see the games played though. I'd say both he and Rafalski are quite underappreciated.

Agree here and with a little bit different circumstances in their careers they might have been HHOF guys.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
FiRST FOR FLORIDA!!!!!

Belfour
Bure
Luongo
Vanbiesbrouck
Vernon

ERIC GUDBRANSON!!!!!!

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Howe & Sawchuk both were said by most to be the absolute best of the old time era.
Hasek best modern era goalie?
Lidstrom
Yzerman

Datsyuk shooting up the charts like a rocket..another Rocket named Pavel. He has done things none of the other guys have been doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad