Dysfunction in the desert: Finger-pointing, fear and financial woes roil the Coyotes organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I worked for Bally's Reno from 1988 to 1993. MGM to Bally was nothing. Bally to Hilton was brutal.

And it looks like every bump in the road is someone else's fault, without fail. When asked if you are on board, wouldn't you agree it matters how you are asked, Alex? "Are you a ****ing traitor, or are you still going to be onboard?" I don't know exactly how it was asked, but I somehow feel like you do. :)

And of course the SLS debacle was all SLS's fault. Honestly this is Melnyk 2.0

(I know you aren't Alex, I added that for humorous snark effect)

You were there right after I'd left. I worked there between early 1985-88. I would have stayed except another opportunity came up back in CA. Bally's bought MGM Grand in 1985 so it preceded you working there. Not sure how you could know much about that compared to the Hilton but it goes back to the point that corporate buyouts often bring huge cultural shifts along with them. You either adapt or it runs you over. Not many people can handle that.

From what I've read about SLS.... they grossly underestimated their market and got themselves massively overextended even without the pandemics help. Meruelo got them out from under their debt and the property was thrown in for free. Almost like how he acquired the Coyotes (but that's only speculation at this point.) :D

I also don't mind an occasional snark.... I can take it as well as I can give it. I thought of Melnyk too. :thumbu:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Coyotes 'exploring' legal action after deep dive into club's alleged business practices

What a trainwreck. :laugh:

It'll be fun to watch this play out. Did she say anything libelous?

She would have seen this coming and I'm sure The Athletic had it reviewed by a legal team.

This is getting.. weird. Almost like they are just playing for time.

Is it possible we have a John Spano situation here and the whole thing is about to come tumbling down around him?

I actually think that whole screwing with the suppliers isn't the biggest story here. It's absolutely bullcrap but I'm sure there are plenty of other owners on the board of governors who have done similar things.

But if what the NHL is probing is true regarding the financial reporting to banks, we're looking at straight up fraud. Like go to jail fraud.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
She would have seen this coming and I'm sure The Athletic had it reviewed by a legal team.

This is getting.. weird. Almost like they are just playing for time.

Is it possible we have a John Spano situation here and the whole thing is about to come tumbling down around him?

I actually think that whole screwing with the suppliers isn't the biggest story here. It's absolutely bullcrap but I'm sure there are plenty of other owners on the board of governors who have done similar things.

But if what the NHL is probing is true regarding the financial reporting to banks, we're looking at straight up fraud. Like go to jail fraud.

When you thought things couldn't get worse for the Coyotes, this bombshell happens!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
You were there right after I'd left. I worked there between early 1985-88. I would have stayed except another opportunity came up back in CA. Bally's bought MGM Grand in 1985 so it preceded you working there. Not sure how you could know much about that compared to the Hilton but it goes back to the point that corporate buyouts often bring huge cultural shifts along with them. You either adapt or it runs you over. Not many people can handle that.

From what I've read about SLS.... they grossly underestimated their market and got themselves massively overextended even without the pandemics help. Meruelo got them out from under their debt and the property was thrown in for free. Almost like how he acquired the Coyotes (but that's only speculation at this point.) :D

I also don't mind an occasional snark.... I can take it as well as I can give it. I thought of Melnyk too. :thumbu:

I knew how the Bally transition went because it was spelled out in more detail than I wanted at the time by co-workers, and to wit, there was very, very little change in accounting and admin personnel over the transition, which is the major victim of a typical hostile transition.

Now, the Hilton transition was more of the latter. Hilton introduced this program capped PEP Performance Enhancement Program. We adoringly referred to it as People Eliminating People.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
When you thought things couldn't get worse for the Coyotes, this bombshell happens!
It doesn't warm your heart, but I don't think there's anything Earth-shattering here.

Unless there's more, it won't bring down the franchise. Just another few bumps along an already bumpy road.

Juicy and a bit salacious, though.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
If the NHL decides to keep the current divisions the same for the 21-22 season this franchise will be the 8th team in the Canadian "North" Division. I can't see one division having 7 teams, and another having 9.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If the NHL decides to keep the current divisions the same for the 21-22 season this franchise will be the 8th team in the Canadian "North" Division. I can't see one division having 7 teams, and another having 9.
nope, you have a source saying that the current alignment remains past this season....

it's false.

the previous alignment that we had here goes back into effect, with the addition of Seattle. Arizona gets shifted to the Central that had 7.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
nope, you have a source saying that the current alignment remains past this season....

it's false.

the previous alignment that we had here goes back into effect, with the addition of Seattle. Arizona gets shifted to the Central that had 7.

I said "If"............ I know what the original plan was.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
then why bring it up as a hypothetical if it's not realistic

Why isn't it realistic? The Canadian border could still be closed. Covid Variants could make things worse. Maybe your crystal ball is better than mine? "IF" the divisions remain the same.............etc, etc.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Coyotes 'exploring' legal action after deep dive into club's alleged business practices

Nothing whatsoever. There is literally zero case for libel, here.

This threat of a libel action is right out of the fake uber-rich real estate "tycoon" playbook. Like, this is literally step 2.

Step 1: Disparage the reporter (particularly if the reporter is a woman).
Step 2: Threaten a libel action.
Step 3: Run away from a libel suit since you're terrified of discovery.
Step 4: ???

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Nothing approaching libel. And one of the interesting things is - while it's a good piece, it's almost more of a collection of shit we already know collected in one place with some interviews with vendors and the part at the end with the investigation by the law firm.

It's also worth noting that the Coyotes response does not state the report is inaccurate.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nothing approaching libel. And one of the interesting things is - while it's a good piece, it's almost more of a collection of shit we already know collected in one place with some interviews with vendors and the part at the end with the investigation by the law firm.

It's also worth noting that the Coyotes response does not state the report is inaccurate.

If I am the Athletic, I say to the 'Yotes:

"We f***ing dare you to sue."

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Can I ask just exactly what you have in mind here? Let's suppose, for example, that the border is still closed in September of 2021. Then, the league needs to play a season in 21-22. There will obviously be some fans in games in some places. But, since the border is still closed (we are assuming that), just what do you have in mind? How do the Coyotes play in the Canadian Division in this scenario?

Thanks. I'm just struggling to follow the idea here.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As a neutral party, Discovery in that suit would be f***ing off the chain. PLEASE sue Meruelo, I plead of you!
It's suicide. They'd have to open all their financials, and I'm curious because of their relationships with the city how well they could fight to keep that information under seal.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Can I ask just exactly what you have in mind here? Let's suppose, for example, that the border is still closed in September of 2021. Then, the league needs to play a season in 21-22. There will obviously be some fans in games in some places. But, since the border is still closed (we are assuming that), just what do you have in mind? How do the Coyotes play in the Canadian Division in this scenario?

Thanks. I'm just struggling to follow the idea here.
right, this isn't just shifting Stockton to Calgary just because the case called for them to do so, or the county wouldn't cleared them... that team's still an issue as well long and short-term as to what Calgary's intent is

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
right, this isn't just shifting Stockton to Calgary just because the case called for them to do so, or the county wouldn't cleared them... that team's still an issue as well long and short-term as to what Calgary's intent is

I believe, and it's not written in stone anywhere, that if the current division stay in place for the 21-22 season, Arizona (which was to move to the Central when Seattle joins) will play out of Quebec to keep all the divisions at 8 teams. Otherwise, The Central will have 9 teams, and the North will have 7.

If you read between the lines with Brian Mulroney's comments he believes Quebec will eventually get a team, but not during the current (Vegas) expansion. He is adamant it will happen soon. Brian and Gary have a close relationship and I'm sure deferring Quebec's bid was for emergency situations..........like this would be.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it could be probable. Especially if the border remains closed.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I believe, and it's not written in stone anywhere, that if the current division stay in place for the 21-22 season, Arizona (which was to move to the Central when Seattle joins) will play out of Quebec to keep all the divisions at 8 teams. Otherwise, The Central will have 9 teams, and the North will have 7.

If you read between the lines with Brian Mulroney's comments he believes Quebec will eventually get a team, but not during the current (Vegas) expansion. He is adamant it will happen soon. Brian and Gary have a close relationship and I'm sure deferring Quebec's bid was for emergency situations..........like this would be.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it could be probable. Especially if the border remains closed.
no, when Seattle joins , it was delayed until 2022/23, not 2021/22, due to the Pandemic, they haven't even started on their AHL Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad