Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If this is the type of player Strome is, he could end up being worth more than DeBrincat when his ELC is up.

Both Strome and DeBrincat could end up earning first line money in a year.

Yeah, looking more and more like 8M cap hit players every game. We need to hit big with our draft picks and Euro signings to fill out the rest of the roster.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This kid might be a big wrench in the gears to my genius master plan (top 5 pick, sign panarin/stone, let D develop, Cup winners in 2-3 years :yo: )

Strome is playing like the top 3 pick he was drafted as, which means two things. 1) That it's like the Hawks got an accelerated top 3 pick in the draft already and 2) They might not have the cap space for a big UFA signing, or at least it might not be responsible cap wise. If they've gotta give DBC and Strome contracts (they're both signed through next season) and they're playing this well, I don't know if a Panarin or Stone would fit here.

The contract landscape is changing and in a big way. Young stars are getting big deals right off their ELC's and these two kids are playing lights out. I don't know what their AAV is going to be but it's not going to be cheap. BEST case would be $6mAAV 6 years for both of them probably (if i had to guess) so i don't think a UFA forward works here unless we trade Saad and AA. And this is all with ignoring that we might/hopefully have to pay our up and coming stud defenseman.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, looking more and more like 8M cap hit players every game. We need to hit big with our draft picks and Euro signings to fill out the rest of the roster.

Ya, this is why I think Stan is going to be conservative in free agency this offseason.

If both DeBrincat and Strome end up in the $6.5-8 million AAV range, there won’t be space for a Panarin or Stone homerun swing.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Ya, this is why I think Stan is going to be conservative in free agency this offseason.

If both DeBrincat and Strome end up in the $6.5-8 million AAV range, there won’t be space for a Panarin or Stone homerun swing.

Nope. I’m so glad they progressed so well this year so it prevents the Hawks from spending in free agency. Imagine if they broke out next year after we already blew the cap money. The Hawks already won 3 Cups with Toews and Kane. There is no urgency to win another one with them at the cost of the future. And we will win another one with them IMO, just not right now. Good things come to those who wait.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This kid might be a big wrench in the gears to my genius master plan (top 5 pick, sign panarin/stone, let D develop, Cup winners in 2-3 years :yo: )

Strome is playing like the top 3 pick he was drafted as, which means two things. 1) That it's like the Hawks got an accelerated top 3 pick in the draft already and 2) They might not have the cap space for a big UFA signing, or at least it might not be responsible cap wise. If they've gotta give DBC and Strome contracts (they're both signed through next season) and they're playing this well, I don't know if a Panarin or Stone would fit here.

The contract landscape is changing and in a big way. Young stars are getting big deals right off their ELC's and these two kids are playing lights out. I don't know what their AAV is going to be but it's not going to be cheap. BEST case would be $6mAAV 6 years for both of them probably (if i had to guess) so i don't think a UFA forward works here unless we trade Saad and AA. And this is all with ignoring that we might/hopefully have to pay our up and coming stud defenseman.

Yep, DeBrincat and Strome are definitely starting to change the equation here.

They’re both looking like the building blocks you need them to be, and that could put them in the $6.5-8 million AAV range after next season.

Right now, the Hawks have four first liners. That’s an incredible change from where we thought this team was at a few months ago.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Let's keep a close eye on the Mitch Marner situation. Strome and Gus still have along way to go. This is the second year in a row that Cat's proved he's the real deal.

Marner and Cat are probably good comparables.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Nope. I’m so glad they progressed so well this year so it prevents the Hawks from spending in free agency. Imagine if they broke out next year after we already blew the cap money. The Hawks already won 3 Cups with Toews and Kane. There is no urgency to win another one with them at the cost of the future. And we will another one with them IMO, just not right now. Good things come to those who wait.

I think the Hawks should go all in next year and take advantage of the fact they have two first line caliber players on ELCs.

Sign willing free agents to 1-year deals at inflated salaries to upgrade your depth and defense.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
DeBrincat probably isn't going to get a Marner contract, maybe just because of where DBC was drafted relative to Marner. I think he'll max out at $8M. Strome won't get a Marner deal either because of his struggles in AZ.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think the Hawks should go all in next year and take advantage of the fact they have two first line caliber players on ELCs.

Sign willing free agents to 1-year deals at inflated salaries to upgrade your depth and defense.

Definitely, I’m just not sure who you can get on a 1 year deal. Any ideas?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Let's keep a close eye on the Mitch Marner situation. Strome and Gus still have along way to go. This is the second year in a row that Cat's proved he's the real deal.

Marner and Cat are probably good comparables.

I said it a few months ago, and I’ll stand by it. I think Pastrnak’s deal is the floor for what DeBrincat can get.

I’m guessing he ends up somewhere between Pastrnak and what Marner eventually gets.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Definitely, I’m just not sure who you can get on a 1 year deal. Any ideas?

No clue, I’m guessing a younger UFA who wants to bet on himself and thinks he can boost his stock before signing a long term deal.

Or an older UFA who likes Chicago, or has some sort of relationship with Kane or Toews through Olympic teams.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
DeBrincat probably isn't going to get a Marner contract, maybe just because of where DBC was drafted relative to Marner. I think he'll max out at $8M. Strome won't get a Marner deal either because of his struggles in AZ.

Strome’s “struggles” in AZ will be irrelevant to his next contract. They put him with scrubs in the bottom 6 for ~20 games then traded him. It would be nice for the Hawks if that cost him millions of dollars but that’s not realistic.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
the highest priority for the team now and in the offseason is to sign Cat to a contract. then make a 2nd contract for Strome.

however i can see a joint contract pretty much like Toews and Kane contract signing, not the $$$ side of it, but signing both at the same time and with a close to salary amount as the Bhawks can get.

Reactions: clydesdale line

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Strome’s “struggles” in AZ will be irrelevant to his next contract. They put him with scrubs in the bottom 6 for ~20 games then traded him. It would be nice for the Hawks if that cost him millions of dollars but that’s not realistic.

Agree.

Looking at what happened with Strome in Arizona would be like an employer looking at your low high school GPA, rather than your professional accomplishments, when considering your raise.

Once you prove yourself professionally, your high school GPA doesn’t mean shit.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
BTW, If this is the real Strome, 85-100 points isn't out of the question for him. In 32 games with the Hawks he's put up multiple points in 10 of them.

He’s looking like a real deal first line offensive center.

He may get somewhere between Larkin and Kuznetsov money in his next deal, as long as this production is long just smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
BTW, If this is the real Strome, 85-100 points isn't out of the question for him. In 32 games with the Hawks he's put up multiple points in 10 of them. Should he do that, he starts to enter 10M+ territory
If he puts up 85-100 points next year ... or win the Conn Smythe this year, he's going to cost us.

Are points up this year? We'll get another year to see how Strome is relative to his peers.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
BTW, If this is the real Strome, 85-100 points isn't out of the question for him. In 32 games with the Hawks he's put up multiple points in 10 of them. Should he do that, he starts to enter 10M+ territory
for me, that is the real question surrounding Strome. i would love to see another season like he is showing with the Bhwks.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
the highest priority for the team now and in the offseason is to sign Cat to a contract. then make a 2nd contract for Strome.

however i can see a joint contract pretty much like Toews and Kane contract signing, not the $$$ side of it, but signing both at the same time and with a close to salary amount as the Bhawks can get.

That’s actually not a crazy theory. They may like knowing they’ll be stuck together for the next 6-8 years.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If this is Strome for the next year and a half, Strome will be in that range

Perhaps, but for as good as Strome has been, it's been 30 games. It's easy to get excited and think that he's just going to be close to a ppg player on the Hawks going forward, but you have to be careful. Don't get me wrong, I like Strome a lot. I think he's part of the future. But I don't see how, as we stand today, he can command that kind of money, certainly nowhere near the high end you said (8 mil). If the Hawks play it out and he does this the rest of this year and next, than it's possible he could get to 6, sure.

Stan will need to get a realistic idea of what all the 2020 RFAs (Cat, Gus, Strome, Kahun) are looking for as soon as the dust settles on the free agents. It's possible it might make more sense to move one or more of them if their contract demands are out of line. I wouldn't expect that to be Strome, but who knows what he's looking for in a deal.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
BTW, If this is the real Strome, 85-100 points isn't out of the question for him in 19-20. In 32 games with the Hawks he's put up multiple points in 10 of them. Should he do that, he starts to enter 10M+ territory

For sure. Do you give him 8M now and hope he signs or wait to see him prove it and end up paying a little more?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Perhaps, but for as good as Strome has been, it's been 30 games. It's easy to get excited and think that he's just going to be close to a ppg player on the Hawks going forward, but you have to be careful. Don't get me wrong, I like Strome a lot. I think he's part of the future. But I don't see how, as we stand today, he can command that kind of money, certainly nowhere near the high end you said (8 mil). If the Hawks play it out and he does this the rest of this year and next, than it's possible he could get to 6, sure.

Stan will need to get a realistic idea of what all the 2020 RFAs (Cat, Gus, Strome, Kahun) are looking for as soon as the dust settles on the free agents. It's possible it might make more sense to move one or more of them if their contract demands are out of line. I wouldn't expect that to be Strome, but who knows what he's looking for in a deal.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting he has already earned that type of contract. We’re saying if this keeps up, and if this really is the type of player he is, he’s going to command a big contract

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Gus will be UFA. He'll be 27 at the end of his contract, which automatically qualifies him for UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad