Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What you have here is too many homers. They can't accept the guy is turning out to be a bust. This coming from a guy who was one of his biggest supports and hated Fowler in the draft. Still do. However, he's regressed. I would not be surprised if he's quietly asked for a trade behind closed doors.

To me, he looks like the same player as he did last season. The main difference is that his partner for much of the season--Bodie--doesn't even attempt to play defense and McIlrath can't cover for him.

I'm nothing close to a homer. I don't see a guy that's regressed, though. I do see a guy that would probably be better served with a fresh start somewhere else.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Is it fair to say that McIlrath was picked with the thought he would be great in the Torts scheme of coaching?

That seems a reasonable assumption, as you could generally say he is more suited to teams who employ a zone. Man to man may not be too ideal for a player like him, though there will certainly be teams he has value to, whether they want to add youth, size, grit, cost control, etc. It's still too early to write him off here, so I'll just stick to letting the kid develop and waiting to see what transpires.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Is it fair to say that McIlrath was picked with the thought he would be great in the Torts scheme of coaching?

I don't think so. Torts liked "jam" as we all know, which Dylan of course has in spades. But I haven't heard much about his shot blocking skills, another obvious Torts' must have. And do organizations really draft according to current coaching philosophy knowing the timeline on most of these guys is so long? I'd tend to think not.

The staff saw a guy who was for all intents and purposes new to hockey. He made great strides in the second half of his draft year, and people tend to get intoxicated when trying to extrapolate that. They saw a potentially "special" player and took a chance.

I honestly think they got so caught up in their plan that they weren't ready to react when Fowler fell. I think choosing between them was something that they never thought they'd have to do, and they were probably happy about it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Probably had something to do with it, but they were also 6 months removed from the Carcillo/Gaborik incident. The team, particularly on this board, was trashed because they let Gaborik fight Carcillo and didn't have anyone who would step in and take care of business. That timeline coincides with the comments Clark made about McIlrath having a "very strong 2nd half" and the Rangers recent draft tendency of taking guys who rise in the 2nd half of the season.

I think the Rangers thought they landed a nasty version of Dan Girardi in McIlrath. They thought he was on the verge of a major leap forward in his development and it just hasn't really materialized. He'll be an NHL player eventually, but it's unlikely he'll ever develop into what the organization thought he would be.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
No.
McIlrath was picked to keep the crease clear.
Crush guys breaking down the wing into the boards.
Dish out the business when needed.

So far we have seen him get blown up.
Caught flat footed.
And play the stupid game of show fights.

Hopefully someone in the organization has mentioned this to him along the way.

BarbaraAlphanse

The selection of Bodie as his line partner makes me believe that, as NYR2k2 is predicting, McIlrath's time will not be lasting much longer here.

Shame, I'm convinced he can become a Douglas Murray replica in this league.

But putting him with Bodie is a statement. A statment that this player will not work in this system. Bodie is a defensive nightmare for his partner, he needs someone who is quick and defensively responsible to be able to cover for his pitch ins, overall offensive mentality, and lack of strength. McIlrath is a stay at home defenseman who is in desperate need of refinement. This is demoralizing and a statement - he's not suited to play w/ an offensive minded puck mover... therefore he can't fit in this system... or so that's the entire gist of putting him w/ Bodie in the first place.

Good luck to wherever they ship him off to. Allen will be taking Moore's spot next year. I'm sure the hope is that Skjei will perform like McDonagh did out of college.

Would love to sign Sekera and worry about where Skjei/Allen fits in, but we shall see. Can't see a slot opening for McIlrath. Klein's emergence this year has been incredible. Boyle is still signed another year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Interesting, I'm seeing posts suggest that he's been flat-footed in the AHL, while other are suggesting he's a top pair guy. Which one is it? lol

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
McI is playing with Tallinder now.

Pairs are

Allen-Kostka
Tallinder-McIlrath
Bodie-Hughes
w/Jackson rotating in. Pack are dressing 7 d.

He was +2 with an assist and no PIM today in the 5-4 OT win over the IsleKitties.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Interesting, I'm seeing posts suggest that he's been flat-footed in the AHL, while other are suggesting he's a top pair guy. Which one is it? lol

It's the latter. His play in the AHL has been very similar to last year. It's easy to look at his numbers and assume he's been terrible, but his stats don't really paint an accurate picture. I can buy that he hasn't shown much progression this year, but an assertion that he has regressed and has been bad, that's just categorically false.

NYRJules

Dec 2, 2011
NY
The Undertaker has all the skill, size, and resources around him to be an excellent NHL D man.. it just isn't translating, he's been put under the wing of one-time greats (Redden, Beuk) and now paired with a vet like Tallinder, the kid should have learned more than enough to be an awesome stay-at-home defensemen but hasn't shown anything note-worthy thus far, I hope to be proved wrong and he makes the transition when Boyle finally retires

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The Undertaker has all the skill, size, and resources around him to be an excellent NHL D man.. it just isn't translating, he's been put under the wing of one-time greats (Redden, Beuk) and now paired with a vet like Tallinder, the kid should have learned more than enough to be an awesome stay-at-home defensemen but hasn't shown anything note-worthy thus far, I hope to be proved wrong and he makes the transition when Boyle finally retires

Skill? What McIlrath are you talking about?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I think he'd be a good fit in Edmonton. That team is filled with sissies. If nothing else McIlrath would restore some sense of pride and give the team an emotional boost when necessary. Such a mentally weak team. If his AHL game can translate at all to the NHL level he would be perfect for them on the blue line.

Would love to do McIlrath + Pick(s) (no first rounders) for Yakupov.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's the latter. His play in the AHL has been very similar to last year. It's easy to look at his numbers and assume he's been terrible, but his stats don't really paint an accurate picture. I can buy that he hasn't shown much progression this year, but an assertion that he has regressed and has been bad, that's just categorically false.

Thanks. :)

Stagnation is not good. Hope he figures it out, if not, trade him soon.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think he'd be a good fit in Edmonton. That team is filled with sissies. If nothing else McIlrath would restore some sense of pride and give the team an emotional boost when necessary. Such a mentally weak team. If his AHL game can translate at all to the NHL level he would be perfect for them on the blue line.

Would love to do McIlrath + Pick(s) (no first rounders) for Yakupov.

He'd probably step in and be their best man

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Give it a rest already. You act like this is the rangers worst pick ever. When we all know it's not. You act like they drafted Glass

I think McIlrath has the potential to be better than Glass but at this point at least Glass has played in the NHL, what has McIlrath proven? Also I think this was worse than the Jessiman pick because at least Jessiman had potential going for him and not the team wanting #toffness.

NYRangerFan*

No, the Jessiman pick was worse. There were potential hall of famers picked after Jessiman, franchise players

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
No, the Jessiman pick was worse. There were potential hall of famers picked after Jessiman, franchise players

McIlrath is starting to look like Jessiman 2. The rest of that 1st round didn't turn out quite as good as the Jessiman draft, but there were a lot of very good players we passed on for toughness.

NYRangerFan*

McIlrath is starting to look like Jessiman 2. The rest of that 1st round didn't turn out quite as good as the Jessiman draft, but there were a lot of very good players we passed on for toughness.

I know but look at the Jessiman draft. There were franchise players that were picked after Jessiman. We don't know for sure about the Mcilrath draft yet. There were good players but we need to wait and see if any are franchise guys. Getzlaf was picked after Hugh was, it still hurts

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think Jessiman was not the worst player drafted in 2003. That was the guy who was selected with the 265th overall pick :naughty:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think McIlrath has the potential to be better than Glass but at this point at least Glass has played in the NHL, what has McIlrath proven? Also I think this was worse than the Jessiman pick because at least Jessiman had potential going for him and not the team wanting #toffness.

Glass is 31 years old. He's played in the NHL and a 22 year old hasn't, therefore he's "better?" And what can that even mean talking about a d-man who hasn't played in the NHL yet and a winger who has played a ton and consistently shown himself to be a complete liability? Just an insane comparison, and I'm starting to become as disappointed as anybody with Mac's development.

This is in no way worse than Jessiman. Every first rounder has potential when they're drafted, that's why they're first round picks. Jessiman was chosen over countless players who went on to become huge franchise players, and who's careers could have been easily predicted to be what they have been, at least as far as any prospect's career can be predicted. McI was chosen over arguably one obvious player who has become a franchise player so far, and that's Tarasenko.

For the millionth time, Dylan was thought to have the potential to be a solid player by many, many teams and scouts. It wasn't the Rangers choosing a guy who was supposed to go in the fifth because he was tough. Sometimes players don't work out, even 10 overall picks. You'd think this is completely unprecedented the way some people react.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
McIlrath would very likely be an NHL''re already on a handful of other clubs. Not necessarily a good one, but we have the luxury of.giving him the time he needs.

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad