Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
The thought that McIlrath occasionally fighting is slowing his development is utter nonsense. He's not magically going to become a better player by not fighting. The parts to his game that are lacking don't get fixed because he's not sitting for 5 minutes every few games. I don't know how much he'll improve from where he's at now. We'll see, probably best if he's moved somewhere out west while he still carries some sort of value.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So then provide us with some original analysis. You want to analyze his gap control? His lateral movement? His balance? His positioning? How he picks his spots to fight? Whether he's a fit in the system we currently employ? Where "his type" of players ought to be picked? Those things have all been discussed many times over in this thread and others. Again, he's a controversial player who has been in our system for over four years and has literally hundreds of pages of discussion dedicated solely to him. What type of "original" insight are you expecting at this point?

I'm not coming here saying "it was a bad pick" over and over. My point is that instead of folks saying "Bad pick" over and over, they should instead be aware of the novels worth of posts that has come before which already established this idea and they should then try to move on to on ice discussion. I watched a few games in the past and commented and it went nowhere. I enjoy playing DOTA 2 way too much to watch AHL games. Especially if my only motivation is to try and kick start actual discussion about playing hockey. Hell I barely watch the NHL games right now when they originally air (I usually binge watch a few games with DVR later in the week). It's nice if i can come here and get at least an occasional hockey fan discussing on ice developments. But it seems on HF there isn't much of the H. We both know that any discussion of on ice play will get ignored anyway. "It was a bad pick" what's the point of mentioning it? Especially 5 straight pages of it repeated. At least the topic has shifted slightly in the last page and a half but in a thread about McI there's almost zero talk about what McI is actually doing.

Last edited:

richardsequalscup*

I think it is quite obvious that McIlrath will be dealt by the end of the year. I figure Lindberg will be packaged with him for possibly a right handed defenseman prospect near NHL ready. I like Lindberg but D. Moore seems to be ageless like St. Louis. If they put anybody with talent on the 4th line with him, they always seem to find chemistry with Moore. So, it makes sense to package Lindberg with McIlrath.

Carrick is a right handed defenseman prospect on the Canes I like. Solid, stay at home guy who is pretty smart. Canes are soft as butter. They also have tons of forwards who have no clue how to play defense and Lindberg can help them. I could see something like that happening.

SkjeiPls

May 21, 2013
Time to move McIlrath to a team that needs a defensemen while his value is still there.

Sucks that he didn't pan out for us, but with the way he has been developing, it's not working out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He is 22.

Yeah, I've routinely defended his development path (still do), but I do think it's probably getting close to the end of the road for Dylan in this organization. The coach of the team--a good, established coach--has little to no interest in the things McIlrath does well, and emphasizes the things he struggles with or is just adequate at. I have little doubt that McIlrath will be an NHL regular, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that it will occur here. JMO.

SkjeiPls

May 21, 2013
Yeah, I've routinely defended his development path (still do), but I do think it's probably getting close to the end of the road for Dylan in this organization. The coach of the team--a good, established coach--has little to no interest in the things McIlrath does well, and emphasizes the things he struggles with or is just adequate at. I have little doubt that McIlrath will be an NHL regular, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that it will occur here. JMO.

Exactly my feelings. He doesn't fit AV's system.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Most of us realized awhile ago that he wasn't going to be Tarasenko or Fowler. That's fine - that's on the organization - not on the player. I've felt that the comparisons were unfair and that we should take McIlrath for what he is - a stay at home guy with a big physical edge. I've been confident that he would make an impact at some point when developed. However, his last call up really surprised me. He didn't even look close to being a 7th defenseman. I'm hoping for the best, but at this point I really doubt he becomes a regular NHL defenseman. I hope I'm wrong… he seems like a good guy, and I like the snarl that he adds.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
same group of guys that called miller a bust 5 weeks ago..

Not really. I've been saying McIlrath is a disappointment, but defended Miller for a while. At least Miller showed flashes at NHL level and dominated the AHL.

AHB*

Not really. I've been saying McIlrath is a disappointment, but defended Miller for a while. At least Miller showed flashes at NHL level and dominated the AHL.

You also despise Kevin Klein, who has been our best D-Man thus far this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mc looks like a man vs boys in the AHL he will be a solid NHL d.. Somewhere.. The AV system is soft and really doesn't cater to a aggressive player at all.

I think the system actually caters really well to aggressive players, as long as they can skate really well. That's the thing--McIlrath's skating is adequate for an average NHL defenseman, but in this system, with this coverage scheme, you need to be an above-average skater to be successful.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Mc looks like a man vs boys in the AHL he will be a solid NHL d.. Somewhere.. The AV system is soft and really doesn't cater to a aggressive player at all.

An aggressive pinching system is far from soft. McIlrath maybe does not have the footspeed to defend NHL players and take pinches along the way?

richardsequalscup*

McIlrath has been bad in the AHL. Have to watch games with your eyes open. It's obvious.

richardsequalscup*

Yeah, that's not even remotely true. :laugh:

Yeah, he's been great. That is why with 4 defenseman hurt he was still rotting in the AHL. :laugh: I've watched plenty of AHL games this year. He's struggled almost all season.

richardsequalscup*

So obvious that you are literally the only person who has noticed that.

What you have here is too many homers. They can't accept the guy is turning out to be a bust. This coming from a guy who was one of his biggest supports and hated Fowler in the draft. Still do. However, he's regressed. I would not be surprised if he's quietly asked for a trade behind closed doors.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah, he's been great. That is why with 4 defenseman hurt he was still rotting in the AHL. :laugh: I've watched plenty of AHL games this year. He's struggled almost all season.

He's a right-handed, defensive-minded defender. When we needed one of those, he was recalled. Otherwise the team brought up guys who moved the puck more efficiently than he did, and/or played the left-side. The coach prefers to have 3 RH and 3 LH defenders on the ice.

Has he disappointed? Sure, but skating as a top-pairing defender in the AHL is hardly "rotting". Improving each year after having injury setbacks is not "bad". He's been fine in the AHL. Up and down certainly, but far from "bad".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad