Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
read a couple of 14-15 roster predictions from rangers fans, dou you think Mclrath is on his way to the big apple?

I saw him play a couple of season ago, but not last year, do you think he will be in the AHL next year or a cheap 6-7 D man for you guys?

I saw all the rangers SCF 14 games, girardi I think was bad, do you trade him and resing stralman / give mclrath a depth roster spot?

It would be nice to see Mclrath big body soon on your blueline and clear the crease in front on Hank! It would have been nice to see him give some " advertissements" to Dustin Brown in the SCF and finaly get reward for this 2010 draft pick!

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
He has improved every season so far. He would look fine on the bottom pairing so long as he starts learning to make better decisions positionally. The few games he got last year he was trying too hard to assert himself physically and it led to getting beat on the play.

FWIW the coaches in Hartford think he is ready and this will be his year to make the team. Time will tell.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Watching him towards the end of the year in the ahl, he's ready or very close to it. He was the best Dman they had at that point in the year.

But making the jump can be difficult. Miller absolutely lights up the ahl, but he is struggling in the nhl every time he plays.

So there's a bit of unknown of course. But I do think if stralman is not retained that mcilrath has the best chance of anyone to join the rangers

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
McIlrath has all the makings of a nasty 2nd pairing RD who can clear the crease and effectively PK. The posters who say he won't amount to anything more than a 3rd pairing guy are blinded by their hatred of the pick, given who was still on the board. For the 10th overall pick, getting a 2nd pair RD, especially one with McIlrath's unique skillset, is decent value.

His fate next season hinges on Stralman. I have a strong feeling that the organization is ready to move on from Stralman (not saying this is the right move). If that's the case, there's an opening on the right side waiting to be seized. Move Klein up to 2RD, start McIlrath as the 3RD. Once he gets good enough to pass Klein, I think you would have an ideal situation down the right side with Girardi-McIlrath-Klein moving forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont mind letting Stralman walk, for the right reasons.

An assumption that McIlrath can take a spot on the right side next season is NOT the right reason.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
McIlrath has all the makings of a nasty 2nd pairing RD who can clear the crease and effectively PK. The posters who say he won't amount to anything more than a 3rd pairing guy are blinded by their hatred of the pick, given who was still on the board. For the 10th overall pick, getting a 2nd pair RD, especially one with McIlrath's unique skillset, is decent value..

Personally, I dont have time to evaluate prospects pre and post draft. I think that goes for 99% of the posters here, but that doesn't stop them from yapping about who they want the Rangers to pick, who was a bad pick, and who is ready for the NHL.

I will say this though, in the very limited time I've seen McIlrath play against NHL competition, I was horrified at what I saw. He looked beyond lost.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Personally, I dont have time to evaluate prospects pre and post draft. I think that goes for 99% of the posters here, but that doesn't stop them from yapping about who they want the Rangers to pick, who was a bad pick, and who is ready for the NHL.

I will say this though, in the very limited time I've seen McIlrath play against NHL competition, I was horrified at what I saw. He looked beyond lost.

Agreed. I actually thought Allen was a little bit better, but again, maybe we have not seen enough of each player in the NHL to make that assumption.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have a pretty strong feeling that Stralman is not going to be back. I think in management's eyes they are not going to be able to afford him. If that happens it's likely Klein moves up to the 2nd pairing. Stralman was adept at making the short quick pass that got our team out of the defensive zone. That will be missed.

How this works out for McIlrath I don't know. He struggled in pre-season games handling the puck. He looked nervous and did not really impress much. In his two games with the Rangers he got very little ice time. I think his chances are decent to make the Rangers out of training camp and increase as the season goes along. I can see him splitting time between the Rangers and Wolfpack.

Rangers could use a physical force on their defense--on their team as well. He would fit that role very well. The Rangers could also use another point producer on their blue line and he doesn't fit that at all. If they buy out Richards--use the savings to add a more offensive D like Niskanen (more or less having an offensive D replacing Richards on the point on the pwp) then that changes things a bit. At this point there's no telling what's going to happen until we have a better idea exactly what free agents they sign.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Really? I saw a young player trying to make too much of an impact while simultaneously adjusting to a higher level of play. He made one or two bad decisions per game, all of them out of trying to make his physical presence felt. He took himself out of position, it happens. He didn't "look lost" the other 95% of the time. He'll learn from his mistakes, just like any young player.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If ulf goes and Beukaboom is the d coach it likely helps Dylan
If Stralman goes I think they sign Diaz and mcilrath gets a spot

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Really? I saw a young player trying to make too much of an impact while simultaneously adjusting to a higher level of play. He made one or two bad decisions per game, all of them out of trying to make his physical presence felt. He took himself out of position, it happens. He didn't "look lost" the other 95% of the time. He'll learn from his mistakes, just like any young player.

If I was a little more politically correct, I'd probably provide a kid-gloves answer like this. But Im not, so I wont.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I would let him start in the AHL unless he just blows our socks off in preseason. Nobody's career Got harmed by being brought up slowly.

He still needs to work on his balance more than positioning because his speed makes up for his positioning, but not balance. Plus it is easier to work on skating in the summer than positioning.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
read a couple of 14-15 roster predictions from rangers fans, dou you think Mclrath is on his way to the big apple?

That's up to Dylan McIrath. I don't think he looked particularly good in the few games he played this year. He didn't look particularly bad either.

I don't think it's a McIrath or Stralman thing. To me, it's how comfortable are the Rangers with the idea of Kevin Kline being a top four defenseman.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's up to Dylan McIrath. I don't think he looked particularly good in the few games he played this year. He didn't look particularly bad either.

I don't think it's a McIrath or Stralman thing. To me, it's how comfortable are the Rangers with the idea of Kevin Kline being a top four defenseman.

A very good answer. AV on breakup day talked about Klein as a top 4 in Nashville. It sounded to me he thought he was capable. He moved Stralman and Klein around occasionally in the regular season. Personally I preferred Stall-Stralman over Staal-Klein.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Don't hold your breath for this guy. I can see him being a full time Ahl er with a couple call ups. Maybe a team asks for him as a throw in to a trade in hopes he pans out!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think the Rangers will take the path that they do with most prospects, and let him force himself onto the roster. This is the time when you expect him to start making some waves and working himself onto the team, so we'll see how it goes. There's no point in rushing him though.

He's played well in Hartford for the most part, but still needs to find that next level where he's really dominant. I think we'll see him get a good look in camp, but we won't see him stick until the 2nd half of the season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think the Rangers will take the path that they do with most prospects, and let him force himself onto the roster. This is the time when you expect him to start making some waves and working himself onto the team, so we'll see how it goes. There's no point in rushing him though.

He's played well in Hartford for the most part, but still needs to find that next level where he's really dominant. I think we'll see him get a good look in camp, but we won't see him stick until the 2nd half of the season.

Will the Rangers have a choice in the matter?

It sure seems like either Staal or Stralman will not be a Ranger come opening night 2014-2015.

Wolfy*

This guy can fight, we seriously need an enforcer with size. If training camp goes well, he should be among the 22.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This guy can fight, we seriously need an enforcer with size. If training camp goes well, he should be among the 22.

He needs to be able to play NHL caliber defense before any of those other attributes are even considered part of the equation.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

It sure seems like either Staal or Stralman will not be a Ranger come opening night 2014-2015.

Assuming the Rangers don't add another defender in the off-season -- which I think they will -- I think Allen will be the one to break the roster out of camp. He's on the cusp of being NHL ready, and he's comfortable on either side of the ice.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
A very good answer. AV on breakup day talked about Klein as a top 4 in Nashville. It sounded to me he thought he was capable. He moved Stralman and Klein around occasionally in the regular season. Personally I preferred Stall-Stralman over Staal-Klein.

AV's remarks on breakup day contradicted how he actually ran the team just last week. AV was giving Klein less and less ice time compared to Stralman as the series went along.

I get that part of that is also AV wanting to have Staal on the ice instead of Moore - a bit of a mistake in my book. Staal was not playing so much better than Moore that he deserved that much more ice time - but Stralman was amazing. Staal was better at defending, but Moore was much better than Staal at getting the puck out of the zone against that relentless foreckeck. Staal made some slow and some poor decisions.

Maybe AV saw what we saw, and the additional ice time for Stralman/Staal was based more on Stralman than Staal.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
If I was a little more politically correct, I'd probably provide a kid-gloves answer like this. But Im not, so I wont.

Kid gloves? He is a kid... :laugh::laugh:

He came in and tried to do too much. His best chance of staying on the roster was to make his physical presence felt. He obviously knew that, and got burned by picking his spots poorly. Anyone who watches HFD regularly has said that he's the best D down there. You don't get a call-up and all of the sudden forget how to play hockey.

KreiMeARiver*

As much as I like Stralsy, I'd rather part with him, given the choice. I really don't want to lose Staal. If we do win a Cup, I really want him to be on the team.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
As much as I like Stralsy, I'd rather part with him, given the choice. I really don't want to lose Staal. If we do win a Cup, I really want him to be on the team.

Pre-concussion Staal, I totally agree with you. Staal since the concussion - not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad