Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
The player everyone really swung and missed on was Brock Nelson . 19 pts so far and holding crosby to one shot in two games along with JT . He was a player of need a big talented center with size ,speed and can finish . Clark should be fired

Let's not forget that Isles drafted Nelson out of High School. That's really risky.
You can't fault the Rangers here.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Schenn was the toast of Toronto for at least a season so Philly had something to go off of.

All people know about McIlrath from an NHL standpoint are three games.

Griffin Reinhart is more like Schenn in this analogy.
Maybe Isles can flip him for Eberle before its too late.

Dorado*

At this point I don't think there really is much else to say . The last two top ten picks the rangers
had they completely screwed . it's pretty frustrating and sad . You really wanna like this kid because from what I read and here is that he's a leader and a positive guy and a hard worker . All great qualities . The thing is , wade Belaks and Carkners , and Grybas etc shouldn't be top 10 picks . I don't care if top ten is not a guaranteed NHL stud I've heard that argument we passed on two guys who lit up the world junior ( a widely accepted benchmark ) and drafted a guy who couldn't even get a try out for that tourney .

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
In the last few pages all I've seen is what amounts to "This was a bad pick". I am very interested to see if anyone will contribute more than that in the next 4 or 5 pages

Repetition is key to effective communication.

This pick is emblematic of misguided NYR thinking over the years.

We all want to win. It won't happen if NYR management keeps shooting itself in the foot.

Dorado*

I think Graves development is going to make Dmac a casualty . Send him home to Winnepeg for anything , he'd probably be a fan favorite third pair guy .

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In the last few pages all I've seen is what amounts to "This was a bad pick". I am very interested to see if anyone will contribute more than that in the next 4 or 5 pages

What else is there to say? It's a 40-page thread, and it's probably the sixth of seventh one we've had on him since his draft (and not even counting the pages and pages of discussion we've had in the prospects or AHL threads). There are probably ten or so people that watch Hartford with any regularity, and we've all shared our analysis on where he's at developmentally down there. Everyone else has their own opinions of him based on preseason and his 3 NHL games.

You're right, it's kind of beating a dead horse at this point. But as long as he's here, what else can we say about him?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ive made peace with that pick and heres how i did it.

i hated the pick from the get go. i liked the russian kid(s) better and i said so. alot.

looking back at that draft thread- and i would suggest all do it cause its both comical and informative, i initially didnt think the player was a bad choice and in fact, i thought he was a unique project but, and this is the key point, we could not afford that kid at that spot. good project player but definitely wrong place to take him. we passed talent to take a shot at a maybe perhaps special talent with the 10th pick in a pretty solid draft. bad drafting.

i wrote back then, great kid. capt. material. tough as nails but just a so/so player. hockey skills and sense are lacking. skating is ok.

now, forward to today, im still of the same opinion. hasnt changed. but.....

the kid is a nyr. hes still a unique player but, while tarasenko and kuznetsov will go on to be stars, dylan mcilrath is a nyr kid and i support him. and im sure i speak for all of us here.

i say good luck to him and if it doesnt happen here, lets move him and move on. but dont wait too long !!!! decide.

i am still waiting for that interview with gordie clark though, where he says, " in hindsight, i probably saw more in him than was really there "

then i can finally lay this to rest.

LGR !!!!!

Dorado*

Fat chance in Gordie admitting that he screwed the pooch . He went after a guy who was a full time volley ball player and part time hockey player up until 16 . That's reason enough for everyone to know he saw more than was there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
McIlrath was the first of three first round picks who had a great 2nd half of the year. JT Miller was the second, and Brady Skjei the third. The Rangers seem to have developed a thing for guys who are climbing in the first round, as opposed to those who are sliding. Hell, you could even argue that Kreider was a climber in the second half of his draft year as well. Prior to that, the Rangers took 3 consecutive sliders in Sanguinetti, Cherepanov and Del Zotto.

He has a few things working against him. Being a project himself, losing almost an entire year of development has been pretty detrimental to him. I had him pegged as a 5 year guy at the very least, and with the Rangers in "win now" mode, he could wind up being a trade chip sooner rather than later.

The good news is he's gotten better every year. The bad news is that with each passing week, month, or season, the pressure builds for him to come in and make an impact. You can see that with the way he is scrambling around on the ice at this level. He's pretty steady in the AHL, but he looks like a chicken with his head cut off at the NHL level. That's too much of a difference to attribute it solely to "speed of play", IMO.

Time will tell, but I'd wager McIlrath breaks into the NHL with another organization.

Dorado*

Dmac is not a unique player he's a player good at two parts of the game becoming extinct big injury inducing hits and fighting . If he could skate , shoot and have a feel for the game he would be , thus far at the top level he has no indication of having any of those . For proof see Kostka getting signed and a chance and a cavalcade of fossils out of the league being auditioned . Maybe Rafalski should get a look next . Dmac s so limited its not even funny .

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
McIlrath was the first of three first round picks who had a great 2nd half of the year. JT Miller was the second, and Brady Skjei the third. The Rangers seem to have developed a thing for guys who are climbing in the first round, as opposed to those who are sliding. Hell, you could even argue that Kreider was a climber in the second half of his draft year as well. Prior to that, the Rangers took 3 consecutive sliders in Sanguinetti, Cherepanov and Del Zotto.

He has a few things working against him. Being a project himself, losing almost an entire year of development has been pretty detrimental to him. I had him pegged as a 5 year guy at the very least, and with the Rangers in "win now" mode, he could wind up being a trade chip sooner rather than later.

The good news is he's gotten better every year. The bad news is that with each passing week, month, or season, the pressure builds for him to come in and make an impact. You can see that with the way he is scrambling around on the ice at this level. He's pretty steady in the AHL, but he looks like a chicken with his head cut off at the NHL level. That's too much of a difference to attribute it solely to "speed of play", IMO.

Time will tell, but I'd wager McIlrath breaks into the NHL with another organization.

ya i agree, sadly.

i wonder if theres a deal to be made in edmonton ?

if we dangle to former 1's in mac and jt miller, i wonder what might bite ?

miller makes some sense, he would be a nice yang to all that young talent ying out there. he eventually projects to be a solid 2/3 2 way tweener c or winger. good size and skating and might well be a fit out there. perhaps needs to get away from av and get a fresh start.

mac would be going home and would certainly change the "soft" rep of that defense.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Repetition is key to effective communication.

This pick is emblematic of misguided NYR thinking over the years.

We all want to win. It won't happen if NYR management keeps shooting itself in the foot.

This key has certainly worn down from repeated use.
Repetition is nice to sometimes get introduced to a basic idea but critical thinking and analysis is more important once the basic idea is mastered. At this point the basic idea is mastered: bad pick. The analysis and critical thinking is all we should see and yet instead we just keep seeing what amounts to "it was a bad pick" stated and restated in the same way over and over. I think folks think they're actually delivering original points too which is puzzling.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
ya i agree, sadly.

i wonder if theres a deal to be made in edmonton ?

if we dangle to former 1's in mac and jt miller, i wonder what might bite ?

miller makes some sense, he would be a nice yang to all that young talent ying out there. he eventually projects to be a solid 2/3 2 way tweener c or winger. good size and skating and might well be a fit out there. perhaps needs to get away from av and get a fresh start.

mac would be going home and would certainly change the "soft" rep of that defense.

Possibly, but what pieces are there in Edmonton that would interest us? We have a lot of wingers and not a lot of cap room. I also think that if they moved key pieces for futures they might drag MacT into the streets and execute him.

There are teams that covet what he might become. Could be a dance partner out there who has a piece we need.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Possibly, but what pieces are there in Edmonton that would interest us? We have a lot of wingers and not a lot of cap room. I also think that if they moved key pieces for futures they might drag MacT into the streets and execute him.

There are teams that covet what he might become. Could be a dance partner out there who has a piece we need.

dallas ?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This key has certainly worn down from repeated use.
Repetition is nice to sometimes get introduced to a basic idea but critical thinking and analysis is more important once the basic idea is mastered. At this point the basic idea is mastered: bad pick. The analysis and critical thinking is all we should see and yet instead we just keep seeing what amounts to "it was a bad pick" stated and restated in the same way over and over. I think folks think they're actually delivering original points too which is puzzling.

So then provide us with some original analysis. You want to analyze his gap control? His lateral movement? His balance? His positioning? How he picks his spots to fight? Whether he's a fit in the system we currently employ? Where "his type" of players ought to be picked? Those things have all been discussed many times over in this thread and others. Again, he's a controversial player who has been in our system for over four years and has literally hundreds of pages of discussion dedicated solely to him. What type of "original" insight are you expecting at this point?

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
The Reeves fight and his continuing scrapping in the A when he ought to be thinking about trying to stay on the ice and improve that way suggests he may he see route to the NHL is through his fists.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Reeves fight and his continuing scrapping in the A when he ought to be thinking about trying to stay on the ice and improve that way suggests he may he see route to the NHL is through his fists.

What? Of course he sees a way with his fists. It's not like he's going the Jessiman route and trying to turn himself into a stage-fighter because every other skill he had fizzled out. He's always been a fighter.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is a really good point, and a trend I hadn't considered. I personally would prefer to draft the fallers unless there is a concrete, measurable thing wrong with the kid's game that is causing the fall. I'd prefer this approach for a couple of reasons:

1. Sample size. I'd rather give a kid who had been excellent for a couple of years before having a few bad month the benefit of the doubt.

2. Revenge factor. Many times, these highly ranked guys who slip end up with a chip on their shoulder, and that can be a real X-factor in development.

I understand the argument for drafting risers, mostly that these kids are on such a steep part of their development curve at that age, but you're still pinning hope on hope with that approach. I guess I'm a bit too risk averse.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This is a really good point, and a trend I hadn't considered. I personally would prefer to draft the fallers unless there is a concrete, measurable thing wrong with the kid's game that is causing the fall. I'd prefer this approach for a couple of reasons:

1. Sample size. I'd rather give a kid who had been excellent for a couple of years before having a few bad month the benefit of the doubt.

2. Revenge factor. Many times, these highly ranked guys who slip end up with a chip on their shoulder, and that can be a real X-factor in development.

I understand the argument for drafting risers, mostly that these kids are on such a steep part of their development curve at that age, but you're still pinning hope on hope with that approach. I guess I'm a bit too risk averse.

Eh, it can go both ways. Using that mentality you'd potentially pass on guys like Scheifele or Johansen. Those guys shot way up the board during the year. The key is to get the kid you think will be the best player, regardless of whether or not they're moving down or up. Unfortunately I think the Rangers were so convinced that Fowler, Gormley and Tarasenko would be gone that they perhaps oversold themselves on McIlrath's upside. It's never been said publicly, but I think they thought they had a future Shea Weber on their hands.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
What? Of course he sees a way with his fists. It's not like he's going the Jessiman route and trying to turn himself into a stage-fighter because every other skill he had fizzled out. He's always been a fighter.

Well them I hope he's good with a Fraser McLaren or BizNasty type role, since he's wasted a lot of development time always (and still) fighting.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
McIlrath had 13 fights in 45 games in his first pro season. 14 fights in 64 games in his second season and 4 in 17 games so far this year. He's not fighting every game. A lot of those he's had have been direct challenges because of his rep. Some of those he's had have been sticking up for a teammate. The AHL is an altogether different animal than the NHL in some respects. There are a lot more fights--a lot more goons. If and when he become an NHL regular we're probably looking at someone who fights between 6 and 10 times a year.

The one game he did play this year he did look okay. 3 hits--2 blocked shots in 8 minutes of play--and a fight against a guy who really wanted it and is one of the best in the league. He didn't seem nearly as nervous with the puck as he was in his two games last year. There are things he still needs to get better at. One is overall balance but he's shown progress from last year to this year.

Looking at where the team is at--with Girardi signed for the next 5 years on the right side--Klein with four--Boyle for two--I don't really see where he fits in. Girardi's not a guy who comes out of the lineup. He doesn't get hurt and Klein kind of strikes me like he might be another. If McIlrath can't unseat either of them for a job and Boyle can stay healthy he's going to be biding his time in the AHL. Something is going to have to give or the Rangers will have to move him. That's the main problem for him that I can see. He just doesn't have a fit right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad