Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This guy is probably somewhat a Chiarot level guy when he started with the Jets. Chevy and company have a good eye for players that are developing, and have some upside. I hope this guy pans out.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So no matter what happens, someone added without term regardless of who or at what price, it’s always a bad idea? Ok then...
That’s not what he’s saying though. People were saying the same thing last year when we wasted a first on Hayes when it was pretty obvious the team had been playing like bums and were not gonna be a threat in the playoffs. This trade is essentially that just a much more minor scale.

FWIW, I like the pick up and it came pretty cheap. If we can re-sign DeMelo then I think it’s a steal. But I can see the other perspective that this is just throwing away a pick at a rental who will walk after we get bounced in the playoffs (if we even make it).

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I am vehemently against the Jets being buyers but this is great value assuming Demelo is re-signed. Great bottom pair guy who wouldn’t look out of place on the second pair. I just hope and pray this doesn’t spell the end of Niku’s ice time this year.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I hope this guy is a decent size ? at least 6-1 and 210 lbs minimum ? as we have to many small guys on the blueline.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Don't mind it. I'm OK with giving up a 3rd round pick, mainly because it wasn't our 1st round pick, which as of today is still in the lottery.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

Jets getting DeMelo and Vegas getting Martinez is probably about the best case scenario for all the available D in my mind. There was another thread saying Vegas was holding out one of their good D prospects in an AHL game too so the cost is likely high here as well.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I have no idea why you mentioned anything about video games.

No my preference was to not trade for rentals, I made that quite clear.

I mentioned video games because I can't think of another situation where a GM can get a top 4D for nothing.

I realise that a Rental isn't the best option...but what was actually available? What other player were we going to get? At what cost?

It's eazy to go..."I don't like this deal because I don't want to give up on the slim chance that a third rounder in a weak 2020 draft could maybe be an asset someday." but what alternatives were there? What deal would you have made?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Jets getting DeMelo and Vegas getting Martinez is probably about the best case scenario for all the available D in my mind. There was another thread saying Vegas was holding out one of their good D prospects in an AHL game too so the cost is likely high here as well.

Here's hoping that VGK pay a 1st rounder for Martinez, and I will laugh with glee. :laugh:

**** Vegas!

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I mentioned video games because I can't think of another situation where a GM can get a top 4D for nothing.

I realise that a Rental isn't the best option...but what was actually available? What other player were we going to get? At what cost?

It's eazy to go..."I don't like this deal because I don't want to give up on the slim chance that a third rounder in a weak 2020 draft could maybe be an asset someday." but what alternatives were there? What deal would you have made?
I’m not the GM I don’t know what the options are.

Chevy got good value, especially compared to the rest of the deals today. I don’t like the idea of buying rentals as a bad team but if we can resign Demelo that turns into a good deal so there is potential for this trade to turn into a great value move.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe, but we've drafted a few good players with 3rd round picks and later (Copp, Helle, Lowry, Niku, Appleton). It doesn't happen consistently but throwing them away is still not a smart thing to do

I'm not unhappy with this, at least compared to the alternative of trading higher picks and good prospects. He could make the difference between making the PO and not. He could sign here for a reasonable price next year. Maybe.

He doesn't make us a contender though. But at least I don't hate the gamble.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jets have $$$ and it seems like a weak UFA class for RD
upload_2020-2-18_16-14-17.png

Wouldn't call it a weak UFA class for RD IMO.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad