Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
A few years back there was a player who had the worst 9 game try out I think I have ever seen. The "highlight" was him getting a penalty and when coming out of the box played the puck while still in it, drawing another penalty. He looked so bad that lots of that team's fans were advocating trading him in a package for Matt Duchenne. Good thing their GM didn't do that because you know who that kid was?

Mat Barzal.

If I'm not mistaken, your logic is that because Mat Barzal wasn't ruined by his bad 9 game stint, then no prospects could ever be ruined by it.

Well, I'm sold. This is a simple universe after all.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, your logic is that because Mat Barzal wasn't ruined by his bad 9 game stint, then no prospects could ever be ruined by it.

Well, I'm sold. This is a simple universe after all.

Or, you don't take the 9 game stint as the end all be all of the player and that a player can bounce back even if they have a terrible 9 game stint.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
He had a productive in terms of production for his 9 game stint...but he did not have a great 9 game stint.
agreed. I think it has been overstated how great mitts looked in his 9 games due to the points he stumbled into. He didn't look any different then that he did for most of his NHL games. How he looked in the 9 games was fine (not great, but fine) for a rookie's first 9 games out of college. The issue is, he didn't progress from there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
agreed. I think it has been overstated how great mitts looked in his 9 games due to the points he stumbled into. He didn't look any different then that he did for most of his NHL games. How he looked in the 9 games was fine (not great, but fine) for a rookie's first 9 games out of college. The issue is, he didn't progress from there.

There are two parts to the issue. 1st, is my opinion of course, but his lack of improvement in his playing shape which falls entirely on him, and 2nd, the unnecessary pressure of putting Mittelstadt at center after 7 games in the NHL after Mittelstadt went up 2 tiers of level of play. He wasn't given a chance to progress for the most part. And due to his offseason training, he didn't give himself a chance as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He had a productive in terms of production for his 9 game stint...but he did not have a great 9 game stint.

Playing mostly wing and getting easier deployment and some shifts up with Jack. The game Casey started at center, they flipped him and Rodrigues IIRC.

That said, case by case is a better way to go than taking a either of the hard binaries.

Reactions: Jim Bob

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Playing mostly wing and getting easier deployment and some shifts up with Jack. The game Casey started at center, they flipped him and Rodrigues IIRC.

That said, case by case is a better way to go than taking a either of the hard binaries.

Yep. And even in that Mittelstadt game, it seemed Casey took faceoffs, but Erod handled the center duties everywhere else on the ice.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm surprised by the amount of hesitance to have Cozens as a Sabre next season. Reinhart did fine as a Sabre in his D+2 season, and was/is smaller and weaker than Cozens, and a lesser skater. Obviously he still has to come in and impress at camp, but short of him falling on his face I confidently see him in the line-up as a RW at least, and possibly getting eased in at 4C during the season. That's not a rush job a la physically inferior or less talented players like Mittelstadt and Thompson. D+2 is right on time for a player like Cozens.

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm surprised by the amount of hesitance to have Cozens as a Sabre next season. Reinhart did fine as a Sabre in his D+2 season, and was/is smaller and weaker than Cozens, and a lesser skater. Obviously he still has to come in and impress at camp, but short of him falling on his face I confidently see him in the line-up as a RW at least, and possibly getting eased in at 4C during the season. That's not a rush job a la physically inferior or less talented players like Mittelstadt and Thompson. D+2 is right on time for a player like Cozens.

The team was also structured in a way to allow Reinhart to develop into a top 6 player. Right now, to allow him the same opportunities the only option we have is playing him at wing with Eichel.

I don't have an opinion at this time if he should be up or not, as I'd want to see how he looks in camp before that. I'd like to see them start him on the wing, and rotate him in and out of the press box to certain times if he's capable of playing in the NHL.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I'd like to have him on the roster if he is ready to be eased into 3c pp and pk duties or a middle six winger. I don't want him to get stuck at 4c, I personally don't see this roster currently suitable to support cozens development path unless he is ready to be a somewhat of an impact player at the nhl level.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'd like to have him on the roster if he is ready to be eased into 3c pp and pk duties or a middle six winger. I don't want him to get stuck at 4c, I personally don't see this roster currently suitable to support cozens development path unless he is ready to be a somewhat of an impact player at the nhl level.

Cozens needs to be in the top 6 if he's on the team next year. Playing a top 6 player on the 4th line usually does not go well

Reactions: Kyndig

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

D+2 isn't super common to be an nhl player, nor shocking if he is.

Barret Hayton is in his D+2 as a recent example.

For Cozens it will be less about his physical ability and more about his brain. Hard to know where he is at until you see him with the pro talent again.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
D+2 isn't super common to be an nhl player, nor shocking if he is.

Barret Hayton is in his D+2 as a recent example.

For Cozens it will be less about his physical ability and more about his brain. Hard to know where he is at until you see him with the pro talent again.

Thats where I’m at. I’ll wait and see how he looks in camp to see if he looks ready or not.

I do have faith in Krueger making the right call.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like what I saw in clips. It's just better for him to develop under the new plan within Kreuger's system sand get him in when he's ready. He definitely has the size, skill and speed.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Or, you don't take the 9 game stint as the end all be all of the player and that a player can bounce back even if they have a terrible 9 game stint.

Why the obsession with absolutes on this board?

I'm stating that some prospects could be broken mentally by a 9 game stint in the NHL when they are nowhere near ready, therefore there should always be caution about which prospects you do this with. The rebuttals have been "well that didn't happen to Barzal".

Do people truly believe that there could be no long-term harm done ever by a 9 game stint for an 18/19 year old that isn't ready? People talk out of one side of their mouth about player development and then suggest that it's impossible to affect a teenager's development with a couple of games.

As for OkimLom, did you read my original response or just the one you quoted?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I'm stating that some prospects could be broken mentally by a 9 game stint in the NHL when they are nowhere near ready, therefore there should always be caution about which prospects you do this with. The rebuttals have been "well that didn't happen to Barzal".

Do people truly believe that there could be no long-term harm done ever by a 9 game stint for an 18/19 year old that isn't ready? People talk out of one side of their mouth about player development and then suggest that it's impossible to affect a teenager's development with a couple of games.

To the bolded, I highly doubt it.

It's more likely to have a positive impact by allowing players know exactly what they need to work on to be ready at the NHL level.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

honestly, I read your post and then read what Sabremike had to say.

the only way you’re going to hurt a prospect with the 9 game stint is if the player is mentally weak. You’re not hurting a player physically by doing it. Quite frankly, if you ruin a prospect with 9 games, they are not fit to be a prospect you should want.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

With respect to Cozens next season, I doubt that he would be mentally broken if he got a nine game stint here and then returned to his CHL club.

Personally, I doubt his development will be made or broken by a nine game cameo at the beginning of next season.

I don't believe his development will be hurt at all if he is returned to the CHL again next season.

I believe that his development has a chance of being hurt if he is a Sabre next season. I don't believe that that is a guarantee, however.

Given how player development has gone lately, I have no issue if they take the slow approach to Cozens. But, a nine game cameo isn't a huge factor one way or the other, IMO.

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
I mean, nobody would be surprised if Botts gave Cozens a full season between the fourth line and the press box next year while the team flipped around at 25th place. There's not a betting market for that sort of thing, but if there was ....

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I mean, nobody would be surprised if Botts gave Cozens a full season between the fourth line and the press box next year while the team flipped around at 25th place. There's not a betting market for that sort of thing, but if there was ....

Throw in a "and then doesn't send him to Rochester for the AHL playoffs," and you're talking easy money.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
For me it is a matter of looking to the future. I personally have little hope for Casey Mittlestadt to become a top six center. Cozens on the other hand really looks like he could become exactly that. So I want to take the time to have him work on all the skills it takes to be a great 2 way center without the pressure of NHL scrutiny. I wish he could go to Rochester next year but my understanding is he has to either play in juniors or the NHL. If that is the only choice then I have him dominate another year in juniors while working on his game and gaining confidence, and then spend a year as the Rochester #1 center. So I have him penciled in as the third center on the Sabres starting in fall 2022.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Anyone know why Cozens isn’t playing tonight? I see Addison isn’t playing either so maybe they are sitting out the WJC guys but it has been a week since the tournament ended.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
For me it is a matter of looking to the future. I personally have little hope for Casey Mittlestadt to become a top six center. Cozens on the other hand really looks like he could become exactly that. So I want to take the time to have him work on all the skills it takes to be a great 2 way center without the pressure of NHL scrutiny. I wish he could go to Rochester next year but my understanding is he has to either play in juniors or the NHL. If that is the only choice then I have him dominate another year in juniors while working on his game and gaining confidence, and then spend a year as the Rochester #1 center. So I have him penciled in as the third center on the Sabres starting in fall 2022.

Cozens needs to be in the top 6 once he arrives to Buffalo. Putting him in the bottom 6 would be another case of miscasting our talent. Leave him in the AHL until he is a legit top 6 player

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Cozens needs to be in the top 6 once he arrives to Buffalo. Putting him in the bottom 6 would be another case of miscasting our talent. Leave him in the AHL until he is a legit top 6 player
He can't go to Rochester next year....so it's either Buffalo or back to Lethbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad