Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Cozens won all 5/6 faceoffs that I saw watching the game today. His speed is such a huge weapon for him. At times his hands don’t match his feet.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Cozens won all 5/6 faceoffs that I saw watching the game today. His speed is such a huge weapon for him. At times his hands don’t match his feet.
This is was my main concern predraft. He's able to physically dominate at this level, but at the next level he'll need to be able to make plays in tight. On the other hand, his floor is probably a bigger, faster, stronger, smarter Girgensons, which wouldn't be a waste. Zegras' (my pick) has floor of AHL player, so I'm fine with hedging a bit I guess.

Reactions: Chainshot

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Gratz on the gold, and a solid tournament.

2 goals, 9 points in 7 games.

Don't rush him to Buffalo unless HE pushes forward and gives you no choice. Learn from Mittelstadt.

I look forward to seeing him in a camp. I know we're all feeling burned by Nylander, Mittelstadt, and Tage, but Cozens seems like a different skillset, attitude, and ethic than all three of those guys.

I could see him getting the nine-game treatment even if he's borderline. You might be able to neutralize him as an NHL playmaker, but if he can charge the goalmouth and has the speed and commitment to play in both ends, he might still have some impact raw.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Don't rush him to Buffalo unless HE pushes forward and gives you no choice. Learn from Mittelstadt.
The situations aren’t quite the same. They had the option of the AHL with Mitts after he signed. Cozens is either juniors or NHL. Changes the calculation a bit.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Hopefully hes ready next season. If hes not ready they better not leave him in the deep end to drown like they did Mitts and Tage.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I think he's earned a 9 game trial but no more, same as next year he might be ready right now to be serviceable in our current line-up but, I'd rather see him in the dub another year unless he is ahl eligible but would rather see him truly dominate the whl before we throw him in.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd like to see him develop more in Lethbridge. They can revisit where he is in the offseason.

That's kind of the only choice they have unless our rash of injuries get so bad we have to do an emergency recall.

Definitely looking forward to seeing where Cozens is at next camp.

Reactions: Chainshot

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It is either the WHL or Buffalo next season.

Crap that complicates things. Didn't realize he wouldn't be AHL eligible still. Either way I view another season in the juniors as a waste for someone drafted as high as him and I think most GMs often see it the same way. Someone that is already near the top of the WHL in points per game doesn't need more confidence playing against kids next season.

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Well said, sending him back to Junior was the right case. Continue to build his confidence and don't see him until next year.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Crap that complicates things. Didn't realize he wouldn't be AHL eligible still. Either way I view another season in the juniors as a waste for someone drafted as high as him and I think most GMs often see it the same way. Someone that is already near the top of the WHL in points per game doesn't need more confidence playing against kids next season.
He'll be in the NHL next year. A lot of people were saying he might have been ready this year, but it didn't make sense to bring him in this early with a roster that wouldn't put him in a position to succeed.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It is either the WHL or Buffalo next season.

Please send him back to the WHL next season. I can't take another year of Botterill's fake patience.

Unless Botts miraculously discovers how to properly construct a roster, I hope to god Cozens isn't rushed to the NHL. There's no reason for a 19 year old to be in the NHL unless he's an elite/superstar talent.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Do not rush with this child, because I have a feeling that Botterill will not find 2C again and next season Mitts or Cozens will take on too much responsibility.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
He can still improve in the whl next year wouldn't be a waste and might actually help him reach another level.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
He can still improve in the whl next year wouldn't be a waste and might actually help him reach another level.

keep him in the WHL next year and then the AHL the year after. He has not even played in a mens league yet. Very few can make the jump from junior to the NHL. Most that do are usually quite large for their age (like Ekblad and Myers).

Only 18-19 year olds that should come to the NHL are those who have played in men's leagues (either NCAA or Europe), or the very rare talents like McDavid

Reactions: Orange Fanta

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
keep him in the WHL next year and then the AHL the year after. He has not even played in a mens league yet. Very few can make the jump from junior to the NHL. Most that do are usually quite large for their age (like Ekblad and Myers).

Only 18-19 year olds that should come to the NHL are those who have played in men's leagues (either NCAA or Europe), or the very rare talents like McDavid

No thanks. Not going to wait until everyone's D+3 or D+4 season just because people are gun shy (which would mean Joker wouldn't even be on our lineup this year or next year fyi), if they think hes ready he should take the next step. I'm sure Vancouver regrets playing Pettersson and Hughes in their D+1 seasons..:sarcasm:

Mitts was drafted out of High School so he should've taken a longer development path and been sent back down to the AHL when he struggled. Thompson is pretty much a 2nd round pick so hes going to take longer. Not everyone has to be Olofsson's age to play in the NHL. :laugh:

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Playing another year of junior has never ruined a kid’s career. Let him play in Lethbridge and go for a 2nd WJC gold. He should be a stud for that team.

The old “play him on the wing on the 3rd line” routine as a teenager doesn’t do the player any good.

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Nylander, Thompson, Mitts. The list of young promising forwards who have had their development path mismanaged by this team needs to end at 5.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
No thanks. Not going to wait until everyone's D+3 or D+4 season just because people are gun shy (which would mean Joker wouldn't even be on our lineup this year or next year fyi), if they think hes ready he should take the next step. I'm sure Vancouver regrets playing Pettersson and Hughes in their D+1 seasons..:sarcasm:

Mitts was drafted out of High School so he should've taken a longer development path and been sent back down to the AHL when he struggled. Thompson is pretty much a 2nd round pick so hes going to take longer. Not everyone has to be Olofsson's age to play in the NHL. :laugh:

think your math is a bit off. They'd be 21 if they played their full junior then a year in the AHL.

Jokiharu would be on the team this year under my plan. He should have been in the AHL all last year, instead Chicago rushed him. After that year in a mens league, it is appropriate for him to move up as he knows the physical requirements of playing against men

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Four days until the trade deadline in the dub, Letherbridge is in second in their division and 7 points clear of Calgary if they were to fall to 3rd in the division race. I would expect him to stay put.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Playing another year of junior has never ruined a kid’s career. Let him play in Lethbridge and go for a 2nd WJC gold. He should be a stud for that team.

The old “play him on the wing on the 3rd line” routine as a teenager doesn’t do the player any good.

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Nylander, Thompson, Mitts. The list of young promising forwards who have had their development path mismanaged by this team needs to end at 5.

Actually that would be two extra years in juniors...which is very much a waste if hes not being challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->