Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was more or less a question about the emergency recall. I get someone wouldn’t fake an injury to play some AHL games but if that’s where you want him to play you find a way to get him there.

The difference with Cozens and the others we sent prematurely to the AHL (Girgs, Nylander, Mittlestadt) is that he has the proper build, and he’s not only played but is dominating at the highest level he could before graduating to the pro ranks. That’s the difference I personally see as to why he could play in the AHL next year. I mean for Girgs to go from USHL to AHL is beyond dumb. Mitts went from High School hockey to NHL in a matter of 14 months. Dumb. Nylander had done well in Juniors but needed to put more muscle on his frame before graduating to the AHL. The fact that management didn’t see all that is troublesome.

But Cozens situation is different than those 3 thankfully. He’s played in the CHL since 16. Has a big league frame. Is putting up dominating numbers this year. I like the Draisatl development path that no one chooses where we get him some pro games and practicing/training next year and then send him down for half the season to run hell on kids. There’s nothing wrong with introducing them to the pro speed and then sending them back down to junior to see how some of the stuff they do down there won’t work at the pro speed. Or that it’s going to take more time before he can pull it off at the pro level.

If he makes the team, great. And if they decide he's not helping them, there is should be no issue in sending him back to the WHL.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
If he makes the team, great. And if they decide he's not helping them, there is should be no issue in sending him back to the WHL.
I hear ya. I've just been thinking lately about some new development paths/avenues for the NHL(my biggest one right now I may sit down and convey through paragraph form is the ECHL). After seeing what the Winnipeg Ice are doing to get Matthew Savoie more games than he is allowed as a 15 year old I just wondered if there was something like that we could use for the AHL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I hear ya. I've just been thinking lately about some new development paths/avenues for the NHL(my biggest one right now I may sit down and convey through paragraph form is the ECHL). After seeing what the Winnipeg Ice are doing to get Matthew Savoie more games than he is allowed as a 15 year old I just wondered if there was something like that we could use for the AHL.

If they rush Cozens to the AHL, I can just imagine the "the Sabres are trying to ruin Cozens like Girgensons!!!" takes.

:scared:

Reactions: sabresEH

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Eh, at the end of the day, the junior clubs are trying to do the best they can for themselves which means having good players on their rosters. Transfer payments for high draftees help but gate is a bigger revenue driver. To snatch players out from underneath the CHL not only degrades the quality of the CHL, hurting the training ground for a broad spectrum of future NHL talent, it also hurts the programs below those. CHL teams pay transfer fees to the feeder systems below them - it's like the food pyramid and while the NHL is the apex predator, the system starts to break down if the apex predator starts eating the food that it's regular food source eats if you would allow me the analogy.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Cozens play will determine where he ends up. I do believe Krueger is helping to drive decisions based on on-ice performance... see Mitts.

He has an outside shot at 2RW next year, but probably belongs in the AHL for a couple of years.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Eh, at the end of the day, the junior clubs are trying to do the best they can for themselves which means having good players on their rosters. Transfer payments for high draftees help but gate is a bigger revenue driver. To snatch players out from underneath the CHL not only degrades the quality of the CHL, hurting the training ground for a broad spectrum of future NHL talent, it also hurts the programs below those. CHL teams pay transfer fees to the feeder systems below them - it's like the food pyramid and while the NHL is the apex predator, the system starts to break down if the apex predator starts eating the food that it's regular food source eats if you would allow me the analogy.
I'm well aware and understand the agreement, why its there and so on. Doesn't mean it's always the best place for the kids. Playing hockey in small town Canada can get a kid using/abusing stuff NHL teams may not want them using. Seen it a few times with kids on the Rockets and Kelowna is one of the bigger cities to play in.

With my comments about the ECHL and using it for development I have this whole thing where the NHL does indeed change the draft age to 19 so that the CHL is getting these kids for as long as they can and then using the ECHL/AHL like the MLB does with AAA/AA. Have the younger, underdeveloped guys play in the ECHL before graduating up a level. Or if a kid is top 6 or bust but isn't good enough for your AHL top 6, instead of having him play bottom six minutes in the AHL and learn the defensive side of his game, send them to the E and let them continue to develop offensively, get top PP minutes etc.
This would need to be something brought up in CBA talks I imagine as it would have a huge ripple affect amongst pro leagues. But I like the idea of having 3 pro levels for teams to have as options for sending the players they own the rights to.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
In any case, that incident might've been a blessing in disguise. He was too skilled to play with the other kids his age up in Whitehorse, and it seems like that injury is what convinced the family he couldn't stay there and play against men either.
I’m not sure what is being said in the article, but he wasn’t playing on a men’s team.
His bantam team actually played a mixed schedule against a variety of bantam teams (mostly lower tier teams from northern BC) and the men’s rec team in town, due to the fact that there are very few teams in the north and travel is incredibly costly.
After Cozens’ injury, I believe they pulled away from the practice due to liability issues and BC Hockey has since added a Tier 1 team.

He moved because he played bantam as a peewee and a third year wouldn’t have done him any good, he was already torching the lower level tournaments in the lower mainland as a 12 year old.
He was highly thought of prior to going to BC to play prep, but it helped him out a lot.
He went from a question mark (due to lack of viewings and level of competition) in the bantam draft to a surefire first rounder and also had an offer from Denver on the table.

Also, surprised no one else has posted it, but he was just named co-captain in Lethbridge:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres Assistant General Manager Randy Sexton - He Is Who We Thought He Is

"Despite the fact it was his first world juniors, the coaching staff used him in every situation. He took key draws, he played the wing on the top line. He got a lot of first power play time. Did some PK work. He showed all of the things that we value in a player and what we were excited about Dylan when we drafted him: his speed, his skill, his competitiveness, his versatility. All of that was on display. … He should be ready to take off and have a real strong second half here."

Dads' trip marches on to Nashville for Sabres' matchup with Predators

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Cozens play will determine where he ends up. I do believe Krueger is helping to drive decisions based on on-ice performance... see Mitts.

He has an outside shot at 2RW next year, but probably belongs in the AHL for a couple of years.
Imo I don’t want him anywhere near wing. If he’s not ready to play Center, send him down again.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Dylan Cozens more than likely isn’t going to be ready to log NHL minutes as a 2C.

the options that I see for next year are 1C in Rochester or 2RW for the Sabres.

They should allow Dylan’s play to determine which of those options are best for him... not what the team needs.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Dylan Cozens more than likely isn’t going to be ready to log NHL minutes as a 2C.

the options that I see for next year are 1C in Rochester or 2RW for the Sabres.

They should allow Dylan’s play to determine which of those options are best for him... not what the team needs.

he doesn’t have to be the 2C.

He can take over the role/minutes/usage Mitts had. Which would be a pretty sheltered start at center

EDIT: I think Krueger would protect the kid if he stays here next season. It’s what he’s done with all the kids on the roster.

Last edited:

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
he doesn’t have to be the 2C.

He can take over the role/minutes/usage Mitts had. Which would be a pretty sheltered start at center

EDIT: I think Krueger would protect the kid if he stays here next season. It’s what he’s done with all the kids on the roster.
If he needs to be protected, he should go to Rochester.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I am not sure why you think protecting or using rookies in sheltered roles to help them develop is a bad thing. Dahlin isn’t currently playing the role he ultimately will in a few years. And that’s okay.

Also, isn’t he not eligible for the AHL next year?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He can’t go to Rochester. I’d also point out the other kids Krueger has “protected” are Dahlin and Joker. Neither need to go to Rochester.

when I say protect I’m talking about not throwing them into the deep end. It’s why Dahlin/Joker have mostly played 3rd pairing minutes this year.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Then send him back to the dub if he can’t hang at 2RW.

having him play scrub minutes as a 3C is the same failed strategy as what they did to Mitts.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Playing him at wing is a failed strategy to. Center or WHL
Playing young centers on the wing has been done since forever in the NHL as a development tool.

I know we are all scarred by Sam staying at wing. But Cozens here as a wing is about as normal a development strategy as you can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Playing young centers in the wing has been done since forever in the NHL as a development tool.

I know we are all scarred by Sam staying at wing. But Cozens here as a wing is about as normal a development strategy as you can get.
No thanks. Send him back down then if he’s not going to play Center.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
He is showing all the sines of being our long term 2C, but will NOT be ready for that role next year. I wish he could go to Rochester but he can't. I would definitely give him a few games at the start of next year to show him what is coming. Then I send him back to juniors a to play top center minutes in all situations and let him dominate. If he can get near that 2 ppg mark that would bode very well when you look at other top player development trajectories. Then he plays a year in Rochester at the #1 C position. At that point he will be physically way more mature, and have grown alot through the repetition of top minutes in the 1C spot. Bring him to the NHL and see what he can handle in the 3C role until he proves he can handle more. By that progress he likely takes the 2C role 3-4 years from now. So getting a true top six center for the team with 3-5 years of term seems the best way to help the current sabers and not be tempted to drive Cozens up the ladder to fast.

Reactions: coastal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->