GDT: dux@note

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Could, but I still have to drive to the station, which for me is rather far. That's my own problem though.

The tickets are cheap because they can't consistently fill the house. Make no mistake about it.

And if a symbiotic relationship isn't riding coattails, then I don't know what is. One of those two things (The Blues) would still exist without the other.

If you had to pay as much for parking as you did a movie ticket, would you still go? (I'll stick with Netflix/Redbox)

I'm not really complaining, just trying to (non-eloquently, I'm sure) explain why people could possibly not want to spend the time and money to go to a game.

We should be fixing why people don't go, not look down on them for it.

If you're arguing that the team should provide more/cheaper parking to attract fans, I agree. If you're arguing that you don't want to pay someone for opening their lot to game-day parking out of principle, I don't follow you. They're simply filling a market need (parking) and are part of the local economy around the Blues. That's part of the value of the Blues, they create traffic for local businesses in numerous ways.

And if there were no local restaurants, Metrolink, parking, hotel around the Blues at all...no, I don't think they'd still exist. The attendance would become putrid and they'd lose a lot of money for a while until they left town.

We all make choices about how to spend our money, and I won't lecture to someone about their choices. I'm simply pointing out that I think there is a different way to look at the local merchants around the Blues, and I really don't see why they need to be viewed negatively. If the prices are too high, enough people will avoid that parking lot and they'll find it more attractive to lower them. Or get out of the parking lot business.

I think the Blues should have more leverage with the city to negotiate tax breaks like the Rams/Cardinals get, and precisely because of the value they bring like this. How many jobs do they provide? How many secondary purchases occur around the team because of their presence?

The concessions contract was a desparate move that hurt the team long-term. But even that, there is a business you're supporting with your purchase. s

I've gone to games on the cheap and bought no food/drink before, rode the train. And I've gone to games where we stayed in a hotel, got seats with amenities and ate at local restaurants. I view it all as entertainment dollars, and just have to decide what my priorities are and how much I'm willing to spend on the experience.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I guess it's more of the former than the latter as far as parking, but you have to see it from my perspective. Say I have $50 allowed for 1 person to a game. We won't count gas, as that's all dependent on the distance. Got a cheap ticket on StubHub for $20. For someone who's not very familiar with the city, you're going to park at a lot closest to the arena. $20...You're now down to $10, so you better have went through somewhere on the way because a lonely hot dog is just that. Lonely.

If the Blues don't see that parking and concessions are ruining their business, there's no help for them. That extra money could've went to a new t-shirt, memorabilia, etc.

The Blues gain absolutely nothing from those 2 services that are absolutely essential to their business. Some people would say they're losing money just because they had the opportunity (Not so much, thanks to Checketts) to profit from the situation.

I'm sure I've done enough useless ranting. It's not like I can fix it...Only see it and shake my head.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I barely ever pay for parking. Either park on the street for free or park at Syberg's and take their bus for $2 each trip.

Everything you mention is all linked together though. Each part still needs the other to succeed. That's how the economy works on a very simplisitic level.

Lucifer T Longfellow

Mar 30, 2011
People have to pay to park for Cards' games too. I don't think that is what keeps them away.

Whenever I have time for it, I do one of the shuttles to the game. Usually from Joanie's in Soulard. Free parking, good food, cheap beer, free shuttle, tip the driver... just takes a little longer to get back to your car.

When I don't have time, there is a lot about two blocks North of SCT that is like $7. However, sometimes it may not be the safest walk.

Personally I try to support the Blues and get others to go. For tomorrow night's game, I got together a group of 40 to go the game. For some of these people, this might be the only game they have been to in years. Hopefully they will go to more and support the team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I honestly think it's just lack of success......we make fun of bandwagon hawk fans...but guess what? Their money is just as green as a diehard fan. I can't attend week games so I'm stuck with higher priced weekend games. Won't lie though...i always plan for teams the Blues to steamroll lol.... losing sucks lol

Lucifer T Longfellow

Mar 30, 2011
I honestly think it's just lack of success......we make fun of bandwagon hawk fans...but guess what? Their money is just as green as a diehard fan. I can't attend week games so I'm stuck with higher priced weekend games. Won't lie though...i always plan for teams the Blues to steamroll lol.... losing sucks lol

I agree that I think that this is probably it, but it makes me mad because the Blues do win quite regularly at home during the regular season. I just think that the city should support them, maybe we are not the great sports town that we claim to be.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I wasn't here yesterday but I vote for the themed GDT's again. They are a thing of beauty.

There should be a Halloween edition tomorrow..

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I wasn't here yesterday but I vote for the themed GDT's again. They are a thing of beauty.

There should be a Halloween edition tomorrow..

Don't you understand that our half-assed GDT are what's making the difference?!

Its like expecting Hitch to change his underwear before the winning streak ends.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Don't you understand that our half-assed GDT are what's making the difference?!

Its like expecting Hitch to change his underwear before the winning streak ends.

:loony:

Quick run backwards around your house 5 times, while saying rubber baby buggy bumpers for even mentioning Hitch change the Underoos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad