Prospect Info: Dustin Wolf, Goaltender, 214th Overall

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like smaller, athletic goalies because they have to work harder to cover the net. Guys like Gillies cheat in college/junior hockey because they can sit deep in their crease and let pucks hit them and think they can get away with that in the NHL.

I wonder if I was remembering wrong, but I seem to recall Gilles was originally drafted as an athletic goalie with size. I don't think Gilles completely went totem pole, but I wonder if the injuries really affected his mobility to the point his career is essentially over.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jon_gillies/

Gilles is old enough to be of the older system that ended up damaging and destroying the goal tending prospects. Hopefully the farm team revamp will start to show results in the newer goalies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if I was remembering wrong, but I seem to recall Gilles was originally drafted as an athletic goalie with size. I don't think Gilles completely went totem pole, but I wonder if the injuries really affected his mobility to the point his career is essentially over.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jon_gillies/

Gilles is old enough to be of the older system that ended up damaging and destroying the goal tending prospects. Hopefully the farm team revamp will start to show results in the newer goalies.
Gillies was dubbed to be a Quick clone

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gillies was dubbed to be a Quick clone

Was it Quick he was compared to? Damn, I have no idea why the heck Gilles flubbed so badly then. At the very least, we should have had a backup level goalie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was it Quick he was compared to? Damn, I have no idea why the heck Gilles flubbed so badly then. At the very least, we should have had a backup level goalie.
You lose almost your rookie pro season to injury and it has a negative effect. He came out looking like a complete stud and then was shut down for surgery. He came back and struggled the following year. The year after he showed improvement and was good, but not great. Then last year the defense in front of him and Parsons was a complete joke until Valimaki was sent down.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You lose almost your rookie pro season to injury and it has a negative effect. He came out looking like a complete stud and then was shut down for surgery. He came back and struggled the following year. The year after he showed improvement and was good, but not great. Then last year the defense in front of him and Parsons was a complete joke until Valimaki was sent down.

Yep, I remember this. He was damn good when he started off in Stockton.

I do get that there's going to be some struggles after coming back, but jeez, this is more like a derailing so bad, the train ended up in Baltimore instead of Boston. That's what I meant.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep, I remember this. He was damn good when he started off in Stockton.

I do get that there's going to be some struggles after coming back, but jeez, this is more like a derailing so bad, the train ended up in Baltimore instead of Boston. That's what I meant.
He still put up a .910 the season after surgery, he also got hurt in November of that year and missed a month. Also I've heard with the type of hip surgery he had it can take over a year to fully gain mobility back. But he was much improved in 2017-18.

Last year, I don't know if equipment changes played a part early in the year, but I know for certain the defensive play did not help. I watched games where the Heat would give up 5-6 goals and on every goal the goaltenders was hung out to dry or there were deflections or screens that the defense didn't even try to move.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He still put up a .910 the season after surgery, he also got hurt in November of that year and missed a month. Also I've heard with the type of hip surgery he had it can take over a year to fully gain mobility back. But he was much improved in 2017-18.

Last year, I don't know if equipment changes played a part early in the year, but I know for certain the defensive play did not help. I watched games where the Heat would give up 5-6 goals and on every goal the goaltenders was hung out to dry or there were deflections or screens that the defense didn't even try to move.

I also seem to remember we had goalie and defensive injuries up the wazoo which is why Klimchuk was traded and we had a ton of goalie call ups for Stockton. Is that correct? I wonder if Gilles technically got hurt again.

I'm not completely convinced we should give up on Gilles... but the dude does seem like he has serious re-occuring injury issues.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I also seem to remember we had goalie and defensive injuries up the wazoo which is why Klimchuk was traded and we had a ton of goalie call ups for Stockton. Is that correct? I wonder if Gilles technically got hurt again.

I'm not completely convinced we should give up on Gilles... but the dude does seem like he has serious re-occuring injury issues.
IIRC all his injuries have been different and only the hip a long term one. But both he and Parsons did miss time with injury last year too.

Yeah NHL call-ups and injuries really tore the blueline apart before their season even started.

Before the first game Hogstrom was hurt, Kulak was traded (for defensemen Valiev and Taormina), Taormina was hurt and Andersson was recalled. Nielsen was acquired in mid-late November in the Klimchuk trade IIRC and he missed time with injury. Taormina was a f***ing train wreck when he played. Paliotta a veteran AHLer was a massive disappointment. Kylington only played 17 games. Valimaki was only down for 20.

Basically when 2 of your 4 regular defensemen are Josh Healey (so awful), and Robert Hamilton (was an ECHLer to start the year, but really grew through the year), things are going to be very very bad.

Seriously, other than Vali's 20 games and Kylington's 17, Valiev & AOM were the only decently bright spots on that blueline. The fact Valiev was a +10 with the usage he had is criminally underrated.

Reactions: Fig

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sometimes the Alpha has to return to the wild to grow into a powerful and unstoppable Wolf. This is one of those times. Run Dustin, run, be free and show them how it's done.

did-we-just-become-best-friends-2.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sometimes the Alpha has to return to the wild to grow into a powerful and unstoppable Wolf. This is one of those times. Run Dustin, run, be free and show them how it's done.

I wonder if he got a text that essentially read, "Wolf, pack."...

Reactions: Corpus X

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Did you just find Wolf a an intro/exit theme sequence?

Does that mean that Eetu's exit theme song is something Tupac?
Nope. THere is a rapper named E2 already. He has skills, needs to work on his production though.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Man I know it's early and it's just junior numbers on a undersized goalie, but it sure is hard to not get a little hyped seeing that 9 games in and he's rocking stupidly good numbers. .945 and 1.73GAA is killer no matter how you slice it.

It's not JUST a product of the team either, as their other goalie is .908 and 2.57GAA

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Man I know it's early and it's just junior numbers on a undersized goalie, but it sure is hard to not get a little hyped seeing that 9 games in and he's rocking stupidly good numbers. .945 and 1.73GAA is killer no matter how you slice it.

It's not JUST a product of the team either, as their other goalie is .908 and 2.57GAA
He is our goalie of the future no doubt

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
There's a reason why this thread was started 122 days ago and there's only 72 posts... Most of us refuse to get our hopes up until he actually plays in the NHL.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad