Prospect Info: Dustin Wolf, Goaltender, 214th Overall

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
As someone who was watched, scouted, and followed Dustin since he was 14, I can confidently say if he overcomes his size, you will without a doubt have one of the best starting goaltenders in the NHL. He was a brilliant gamble in the 7th round. Feel free to reply with any questions.

For the record he is indeed shorter than his listed height, but he's about 6'0 on skates.
Who’d be your comparable for Dustin for current NHL goalies?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
You guys are getting me all fired up about a 7th round pick and I kind of like it

Dustin Wolf is a 1st round talent with 7th round size. Basically the goalie version of Caufield. But obviously size is more important for a goalie than a skater which is why he fell 5 rounds instead of 5 picks.

Who’d be your comparable for Dustin for current NHL goalies?

Not accounting for size, I've always seen Carey Price in his game, in the sense that he remains cool, calm and collected and makes difficult saves look easy. He covers the net very well despite his petite frame and makes the most of it. Both goalies are incredibly good at handling the puck and making breakout passes, in fact Wolf already has 8 assists in 81 WHL games. He really lives up to the "third defenseman" trope.

Accounting for size, Carter Hart is a good comparison, same team so the same coaches and teammates, both undersized. (Hart is another spoofed height, unless he grew after going pro, he's a lot closer to 6'0 or 6'1. He is not 6'2. CHL, specifically WHL teams exaggerate their player's sizes all the time) I see them following the same development path, (they basically already have, their development from 15-18 has been nearly identical) but Wolf will not make the NHL jump nearly as quickly.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not accounting for size, I've always seen Carey Price in his game, in the sense that he remains cool, calm and collected and makes difficult saves look easy. He covers the net very well despite his petite frame and makes the most of it. Both goalies are incredibly good at handling the puck and making breakout passes, in fact Wolf already has 8 assists in 81 WHL games. He really lives up to the "third defenseman" trope.

Accounting for size, Carter Hart is a good comparison, same team so the same coaches and teammates, both undersized. (Hart is another spoofed height, unless he grew after going pro, he's a lot closer to 6'0 or 6'1. He is not 6'2. CHL, specifically WHL teams exaggerate their player's sizes all the time) I see them following the same development path, (they basically already have, their development from 15-18 has been nearly identical) but Wolf will not make the NHL jump nearly as quickly.

Are there any other comparable other than price and Hart? Turco was one that popped up in different scouting reports which make me wonder if Mike Smith is another guy that is similar, or if it was merely a name tossed out there because stick handling (which would also qualify Rinne and Bishop). That being said, Smith, Rinne, Bishop and Price are both over 6'3" and Turco was listed below 6'.

EDIT:

Carey Price vs. Mike Smith: Two styles of elite puckhandling goalies - Sportsnet.ca

Apparently there's something known as a bomber and archer style. Price falls into the archer category (short range low risk passes) and Smith likes bombers (high risk long passes).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
How did this guy so low? I would've drafted him as early as the third round, that is depending on who happened to be available at that pick.

I feel like if all the other forward/D prospects go well, the Flames are on the right track for contention with Wolf.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How did this guy so low? I would've drafted him as early as the third round, that is depending on who happened to be available at that pick.

I feel like if all the other forward/D prospects go well, the Flames are on the right track for contention with Wolf.

He went so low because he is tiny. I remember hearing someone on the radio saying a team told him they wont even consider a goalie under 6'3 any more with the way goaltending is headed in the NHL. Not sure if that is true and I doubt many teams are that strict about it but looking around goalies under 6'2 are rare let a lone a guy who is 5'11.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He went so low because he is tiny. I remember hearing someone on the radio saying a team told him they wont even consider a goalie under 6'3 any more with the way goaltending is headed in the NHL. Not sure if that is true and I doubt many teams are that strict about it but looking around goalies under 6'2 are rare let a lone a guy who is 5'11.

The fix for this is that all goalies should be required to wear a standard sized 6'8 goalie power suit. That'll level the playing field pretty quickly... :sarcasm:

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

I think I made this comparison earlier in this thread (or elsewhere on HF) but he's basically the goalie version of Caufield. Top 10 talent, 7th round size.

In the 7th it's a brilliant pick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think I made this comparison earlier in this thread (or elsewhere on HF) but he's basically the goalie version of Caufield. Top 10 talent, 7th round size.

In the 7th it's a brilliant pick.

I hope you are right but I am concerned that while size seems to matter less for skaters in todays game, it matters even more for goalies. That said hopefully for Wolf he can break that trend. Really in the 7th round you have very little chance of getting a player anyways so may as well take a shot at a guy that at least has talent and Wolf has talent there is no doubt about that.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Was looking over the heights of goalies in the NHL right now. Saros, Halak and Khudobin are all 5'11" and there are quite a few in the 6'-6'1" range too.

So yes, size is definitely still a concern, but I don't think it's the death knell either.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I like smaller, athletic goalies because they have to work harder to cover the net. Guys like Gillies cheat in college/junior hockey because they can sit deep in their crease and let pucks hit them and think they can get away with that in the NHL.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Was looking over the heights of goalies in the NHL right now. Saros, Halak and Khudobin are all 5'11" and there are quite a few in the 6'-6'1" range too.

So yes, size is definitely still a concern, but I don't think it's the death knell either.

Saros, Halak and Khudobin are all back-ups. Outside of Quick and Lundqvist (both in their mid-30's) I am not sure there is a starting goalie that is under 6'2. There are some decent guys starting at 6'2.

Sure being 6'0 or 5'11 isn't a death knell but it seems to be a much less likely path to becoming a starting goalie.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Saros, Halak and Khudobin are all back-ups. Outside of Quick and Lundqvist (both in their mid-30's) I am not sure there is a starting goalie that is under 6'2. There are some decent guys starting at 6'2.

Sure being 6'0 or 5'11 isn't a death knell but it seems to be a much less likely path to becoming a starting goalie.

Saros is the heir apparent to Rinne at some point, last I checked. Halak has been a starter or quasi starter quite often in his career, including 40 games last year where he helped carry the Bruins when they were injured and struggling. Khudobin has been a 1B fairly regularly.

If we get a backup goalie with our 7th rounder that can be a platoon guy, we're doing pretty well is my point. I'm not saying he's a lock to be a starter at all.

Reactions: CamPopplestone

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
If his size prevents him from being a starter, but he's a strong backup, that's fine. you generally expect a 7th to never see the NHL anyway.

Plus the league is slowly trending to being one where you need two solid goalies to succeed. The 65-70 game Starter is slowly starting to fade. It's hard to keep the string play if you're seeing that much action, and you don't want to see the starter exhausted come playoffs. Not to mention injury protection.

More and more teams, even ones with good starters, are getting good backups now.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Saville (another US goalie) was a Vegas pick - not Vancouver. At first I thought it'd be pretty cool if Wolf beat out an earler drafted Canuck G for the WJC.....

Are his chances good to make the WJC?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I hope you are right but I am concerned that while size seems to matter less for skaters in todays game, it matters even more for goalies. That said hopefully for Wolf he can break that trend. Really in the 7th round you have very little chance of getting a player anyways so may as well take a shot at a guy that at least has talent and Wolf has talent there is no doubt about that.

If Dustin Wolf is the real deal talent, and he has a calm, "I got this", "bring it on" nature, only he will determine if his size (height) is a deterrent and to his rise and success. The keyS will be: -confidence in his own game;
-Coaching / coaches Not trying to teach him "6'-5 goaltending styles" , change his style to something outside of his comfort zone;
-the defenders in front of him, around him gelling with his play-the-puck ways, not getting in his way but learning to play with
him. - opportunity given to challenge good competition, to experience the "next level", to learn this level hands-on, not just practicing and watching from the PB or the end of the bench.
Will be interesting to see his growth and potential unfold!

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Regardless if he makes it or not, I think he's a long term project. He'll play the next couple years on juniors, then probably be a backup in the AHL for a year, maybe a starter the second year, so it's probably 5 years until he even has a shot at cracking the Flames. But I'm rooting for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->