Injury Report: Dustin Byfuglien (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
It can be legit if the injury in the summer can be shown to be due to a weakening of the ankle, whether or not it showed up in the physicals. That might be the angle NHLPA is taking. I doubt Buff cares too much.
Whether or not Buff "cares too much" - I'd suspect that others close to him, with a vested interest in the $$$, care very much. And if he aggravated something in the off-season, he should have notified the club, get it dealt with (i.e. surgery) and get paid. He didn't do that.

Reactions: GNP

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe (agent), probaby not his wife though, if that's what you're implying.
Not implying anyone in particular, this is just messed up. And it could affect the team if it drags on - that's what really has me mad about this. Curious, are you guys and gals OK with this?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well at least this saga will come to an end one way or another. Anyone know how long these proceedings usually take?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not implying anyone in particular, this is just messed up. And it could affect the team if it drags on - that's what really has me mad about this. Curious, are you guys and gals OK with this?
Yeah. I think he wants to retire; i think the NHLPA is working to see if he's entitled to any more of his contract. But even if they say the suspension is invalid, he's got to show up for rehab or be suspended again, no??

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah. I think he wants to retire; i think the NHLPA is working to see if he's entitled to any more of his contract. But even if they say the suspension is invalid, he's got to show up for rehab or be suspended again, no??
I agree. I believe he has no desire to continue playing. And I believe that his camp is going to try to squeeze anything they can from the Jets/NHL. If that wasn't the case, why the grievance today? Does anyone have a better or more plausible explanation?

thrashtoast

Dec 23, 2009
Keep in mind too that the Jets recent performance has likely killed any negotiating leverage he has. Also I did some back of the envelope analysis and the Jets record over the past couple of years with him out of the lineup is better than him in it. IMHO this team is but better off without him (as unique and talented as a player he is)

Reactions: Larabee

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree. I believe he has no desire to continue playing. And I believe that his camp is going to try to squeeze anything they can from the Jets/NHL. If that wasn't the case, why the grievance today? Does anyone have a better or more plausible explanation?

Grievances can be withdrawn. Better to keep your right to grieve and withdraw, then not do it at all. Today was the deadline to file.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
An complex injury issue like this is seldom black or white. The truth and the resolution is usually somewhere in the middle. I am not convinced that Buf and or his representatives are just trying to screw the Jets. I believe a scenario will come to light where a plausable argument/explanation for the situation around this grievance will be made.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
This is a league vs the PA situation, not a Buff vs the Jets situation. His time here is not tarnished to me l.
I unfortunately disagree. Love the guy, but my gut tells me this is quickly turning into a Kawhi vs San Antonio situation.

I'm also lactose intolerant and currently eating poutine, so my gut might be throwing mixed signals at me.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
An complex injury issue like this is seldom black or white. The truth and the resolution is usually somewhere in the middle. I am not convinced that Buf and or his representatives are just trying to screw the Jets. I believe a scenario will come to light where a plausable argument/explanation for the situation around this grievance will be made.
Hope you’re right, but I don’t see it. Guess time will tell.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
My understanding is the Jets doctors and Buff signed off on the end of season medicals so I don't believe there would be any off season monitoring unless Buff came forward with an injury concern.

Not a word was said once about Byfuglien having a broken bone in his foot.

The club was entirely silent on the matter throughout the regular season and the playoffs.

Every knew he HAD been concussed and that he HAD taken time off twice due to ankle injuries.

So it's no wonder at season's end all this was signed off on. Concussion symptoms were clearly gone and his high ankle sprain would likely heal on its own after a summers rest.

Fast forward to Byfuglien travelling to Minnesota where its revealed he has a "micro fracture" which required surgery. The news media goes about their day thinking that this is the first mention of it with some going as far as to call Byfuglien a cheat and a liar.

But then Aavco Cup tweeted out what everyone else missed...that last April Maurice, while being questioned about Ehlers, stated Byfugliens was also playing with "a micro fracture."

An easy miss as it's stated literally in a fraction of a second and something the organization likely thought no one was aware of. Watch that passing comment become the key point in all this.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The club was entirely silent on the matter throughout the regular season and the playoffs.

Every knew he HAD been concussed and that he HAD taken time off twice due to ankle injuries.

So it's no wonder at season's end all this was signed off on. Concussion symptoms were clearly gone and his high ankle sprain would likely heal on its own after a summers rest.

Fast forward to Byfuglien travelling to Minnesota where its revealed he has a "micro fracture" which required surgery. The news media goes about their day thinking that this is the first mention of it with some going as far as to call Byfuglien a cheat and a liar.

But then Aavco Cup tweeted out what everyone else missed...that last April Maurice, while being questioned about Ehlers, stated Byfugliens was also playing with "a micro fracture."

An easy miss as it's stated literally in a fraction of a second and something the organization likely thought no one was aware of. Watch that passing comment become the key point in all this.
Interesting point. I wonder if there is then a piece where Buff signed off on/declined further care that the team had directed.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
upload_2019-11-20_20-57-44.png

:naughty:

Reactions: FFHockey

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

The big issue is he had all of May, June, July, August, September and now October and November to deal with a micro injury. That is something that could have been taking care of long time a go.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Part of me thinks that Buff's agent isn't happy about losing out on some cash and started this process.

But no matter what, it's really sucky for a fan favorite to go out (maybe) like this.

I'm starting to think that as well.

I know Buff is entitled to file this grievance, but, I'm getting a little pissed off at this.

Until this is settled the Jets can't make use of the cap space and Buff obviously can't play.

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad