Injury Report: Dustin Byfuglien (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
If he’s not on the roster by the trade deadline, he can’t be on the team post season. I think someone mentioned that earlier.
He can be placed on LIR, playoffs is cap exempt so we could pick up a player, and be compliant in the playoffs. If he comes back. If he's healthy etc.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
So at what point do we say, he is done for the season? We are already at 47 games. You would think he would need at least 3 weeks when he would hit the ice for the first time. That would put the Jets at around 56 games if he started now. What do we think is the cutoff? Would he want to come back for only 20 games especially with playoffs not a certain thing? Personally I think we already hit the cutoff considering he has played under 20 games in the last 13 months. I think he has already adjusted to life without hockey.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So at what point do we say, he is done for the season? We are already at 47 games. You would think he would need at least 3 weeks when he would hit the ice for the first time. That would put the Jets at around 56 games if he started now. What do we think is the cutoff? Would he want to come back for only 20 games especially with playoffs not a certain thing? Personally I think we already hit the cutoff considering he has played under 20 games in the last 13 months. I think he has already adjusted to life without hockey.

It depends on how much he wants his money imo. If he wants it he will have to put in the work whether there is 20 or 2 games left.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Depends on what Buff has been doing. If he's been doing the rehab he's needed to to be in shape to get back on the ice or not.

Assuming he wants to come back at all, why not come back for 20 games? If the team is in the thick of a race it should be exciting times, and he might be just the right lift the team needs. Even if the team is out of it, why not come back for 20 games with no pressure to shake the rust off for next year?

Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Depends on what Buff has been doing. If he's been doing the rehab he's needed to to be in shape to get back on the ice or not.

Assuming he wants to come back at all, why not come back for 20 games? If the team is in the thick of a race it should be exciting times, and he might be just the right lift the team needs. Even if the team is out of it, why not come back for 20 games with no pressure to shake the rust off for next year?

Even an out of shape Buff would improve the D, but a BUFF Buff would be so great.

I think coming back with 20 games left could be storybook as he could get his timing and endurance back right for the start of playoffs and be as fresh as he's ever been through them. That could be bad news for the rest of the NHL.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Even if Buff comes back out of shape he can still keep our shots against down by blocking shots.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GNP and hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Insurance companies will play a part in this, too. Assuming Buff's contract is insured, who pays if he isn't able to resume his career? If players are allowed to just decide not to continue playing and claiming injury, then insurance companies will stop insuring contracts, or make the costs very high and rules much more stringent.

You can be certain that costs are already very high for insuring contracts. Insurance companies use actual data. They know exactly what the cost of insuring the group will be. The premium will equal that cost + about 10-15% as the insurance company's costs plus profit. Claims against those policies will be quite high as injury is very common. So the premiums will be high. That's why they don't insure all contracts.

If the Jets negotiate a deal with Buff to pay him some amount that they are not absolutely obligated to pay then the ins co certainly won't pay it. I don't know what the league would permit them to pay him that the arbitrator doesn't require them to pay. That would be a can of worms. Would that payment count toward the player's 50% of HRR? Why/why not? How would the cap hit be applied? And so on.

I think it has to come down to whatever the arbitrator rules. I expect he will rule that it is a hockey injury, but also that Buff did not follow procedure. I think he might get paid from whatever date that he indicates he is ready to report, injured or not. Maybe he has already done that but can't actually report until there is a ruling. That's why I said he indicates he is ready. This is complicated. The lawyers will be having a field day and buying their new Mercedes.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I've heard through a source (who has been right more than wrong) that Buff isn't in the greatest shape... I hope the info is wrong, but I don't think he'll be in any condition - injury aside - to play this year.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think 3 weeks is pretty optimistic for a guy who is approaching 35 and who has adjusted to life without hockey. More like 6 weeks, assuming he really wants to play and puts in the work. End of February is to game 67. The good thing (IMO) is that he really looked like he wanted to play for last year's PO.

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad