Injury Report: Dustin Byfuglien (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I posted in the last thread that we would re-open discussion about Byfuglien if there was some new, credible information - we got some on Hockey Night tonight.

This is not a thread to discuss whether Buff is mad at management for defensive changes, is tired of Wheeler, or whether he's sold his house or taken his kids out of school. Any posts like "I heard a rumour that Buff...." without sourcing it will be warned and/or thread banned.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this is some weird shit...he passed his end of year physical last year, but had surgery and they found a broken bone....but he didn't say anything last year about this?? arbitration seems 100% likely - I don't know what is going on here as they said he wanted to come back and play this year...$1.6 mil I believe lost so far for Buff - with a heck of a lot more still on the table for this year and next...

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Wow, is all I can say. Broken bone, and dispute on when he sustained his injury.

Nuts. :popcorn:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is nuts. I guess we will have to see what an arbitrator rules.

If he was cleared last year I would assume they would have X-ray evidence to back that claim up.

Given the team didn't get a chance to asses him this year it's hard to say how much they could know about this.

Will be Interesting to see how this unfolds but it will keep the teams hands tied for the foreseeable future.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wow, is all I can say. Broken bone, and dispute on when he sustained his injury.

Nuts. :popcorn:

Even if he sustained it in the off-season I'm sure the team would have had no issue had he reported and involved Jets Drs in the decision making process. Hed likely be on IR now. Also interesting how he waited until (end of fishing season) to undergo surgery. I would wager the team thinks he sustained it while suspended and went against protocol to get it fixed.

Reactions: Jimmyjets

None

Feb 22, 2012
His medical records from the end of the season will determine everything from the perspective of the Jets. If he left last season with a healthy foot/ankle the medical records would show that.

All of the player reactions prior to the season to me say that Buff told them he was done and it didn't sound medically related. If he wanted to play but had a nagging foot injury he needed to get it reassessed in camp by the team. Because he didn't have it reassessed during the off-season or at the start of camp casts some doubt on the claims by his camp that it's hockey related.

From Byfuglien's perspective it may have been a factor into his decision to retire, but I feel like a lot of procedural things weren't followed to have it diagnosed and I think the Jets will come out on top in any kind of arbitration because of that.
There's procedures to follow if a player disagrees with the diagnosis by a team's medical staff. The way the Jets responded to the news that he had surgery and now that the NHL has told the Jets to be silent tells me that those procedures probably weren't followed.

I'm inferring a lot here, but I think you can make a lot of the same conclusions that I've come to based on the small amount that has been said publicly about this situation.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His medical records from the end of the season will determine everything from the perspective of the Jets. If he left last season with a healthy foot/ankle the medical records would show that.

All of the player reactions prior to the season to me say that Buff told them he was done and it didn't sound medically related. If he wanted to play but had a nagging foot injury he needed to get it re-assessed in camp by the team. Because he didn't have it re-assessed during the off-season or at the start of camp casts some doubt on the claims by his camp that it's hockey related.

From Byfuglien's perspective it may have been a factor into his decision to retire, but I feel like a lot of procedural things weren't followed to have it diagnosed and I think the Jets will come out on top in any kind of arbitration because of that.
There's procedures to follow if a player disagrees with the diagnosis by a team's medical staff. The way the Jets responded to the news that he had surgery and now that the NHL has told the Jets to be silent tells me that those procedures probably weren't followed.

I'm inferring a lot here, but I think you can make a lot of the same conclusions that I've come to based on the small amount that has been said publicly about this situation.

These are my thoughts on the matter as well.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Still doesn't make sense, if Byfuglien was thinking about retirement because his ankle was still bugging him how is the team granting him a LOA going to help with that?

Jun 15, 2007
I don't really understand this at all.

If Byfuglien wanted to retire and it was the Jets who wanted him to continue playing, then obviously the Jets didn't know about the injury.

I don't even see what the dispute is about.

Reactions: Rheged

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don't really understand this at all.

If Byfuglien wanted to retire and it was the Jets who wanted him to continue playing, then obviously the Jets didn't know about the injury.

I don't even see what the dispute is about.

Lawyers are equipped with Dispute Vision. Something we mere mortals do not possess. :nod:

Jun 15, 2007
Lawyers are equipped with Dispute Vision. Something we mere mortals do not possess. :nod:
I get that but it seems like Byufglien was already prepared to walk away from all that money. So it's weird that he's now arguing about it. Why doesn't Byfuglien just stick to the original plan and retire then?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Whoa, didn't see this until now
Seems really strange - I can't even figure out from that if he wants to retire or not
Did he only "want" to retire because of the injury or was it a coincidence?
I'll definitely welcome him back with open arms though if he's still game when this is healed.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Again, I find it odd that Dr Craig Slaunwhite announced he found a job elsewhere the day Buff’s surgery was announced. Could be a major coincidence but maybe he didn’t want to be a part of this gong show.

Reactions: Pez68 and purdy44

None

Feb 22, 2012
Again, I find it odd that Dr Craig Slaunwhite announced he found a job elsewhere the day Buff’s surgery was announced. Could be a major coincidence but maybe he didn’t want to be a part of this gong show.

Craig Slaunwhite isn't an M.D. His responsibilities had nothing to do with diagnosis.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Craig wouldn't have been involved in any diagnosis.

There will be detailed medical reports on each step of this process. That said, it isn't uncommon to have diagnostic uncertainty even with an ostensibly straightforward injury, and ankles aren't always straightforward. My sense is that whomever Buff consulted with in MN found something the Jets' doctors didn't, and provided a divergent diagnosis and treatment plan that included surgery. Now the questions will surround those divergences, whether it's something that was missed or wasn't there, and how any differences can be reconciled.

It's going to be messy, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->