Injury Report: Dustin Byfuglien (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
That's the first thing I noticed as well.

Once his foot heals it's going to take some time before he is in game shape if he decides to return to the Jets.
His heavier face was also the first thing I noticed. I like Buff... I have since he was with Chicago. However, I really can't see him coming back this season. By the time his injuries heal and IF he makes up with the club, it will take a long time for a guy his age and his size to be in anything resembling game shape. I'm not saying that it's impossible - and maybe if we're in a playoff position he may be ready to get a few games in before the playoffs start - but that's asking a lot.

I really mainly hope that he gets a chance to say a proper goodbye to his fans.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
His heavier face was also the first thing I noticed. I like Buff... I have since he was with Chicago. However, I really can't see him coming back this season. By the time his injuries heal and IF he makes up with the club, it will take a long time for a guy his age and his size to be in anything resembling game shape. I'm not saying that it's impossible - and maybe if we're in a playoff position he may be ready to get a few games in before the playoffs start - but that's asking a lot.

I really mainly hope that he gets a chance to say a proper goodbye to his fans.

That is basically what I am hoping for

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He could still do cardio exercise, plus allow for the lower activity level by adjusting his caloric intake.

How to Exercise With a Walking Cast | Livestrong.com

No, I'm in the camp that says he has no intentions of returning to playing shape and is quite happy to just let himself go.

We need to form a club of sympathetic fans willing to let ourselves go in solidarity with Buff.

There’s a fair bit of conditioning he could do even with the boot on. But every season has its hunting/fishing opportunities, I guess.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I believe he is finished with hockey..taking into account his desire or lack of for the game, his age, antics/drama issues with the team during the season and at the end.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He could still do cardio exercise, plus allow for the lower activity level by adjusting his caloric intake.

How to Exercise With a Walking Cast | Livestrong.com

No, I'm in the camp that says he has no intentions of returning to playing shape and is quite happy to just let himself go.

I didn't say staying in shape would be impossible, just extra hard. It is hard enough at the best of times.

I think he is retired - but I am far from certain of that.

Bmania

Jul 22, 2018
He's not leaving 15 mil on the table in the middle of the Jets window to win it all while he's contractually obligated to the team. Not to mention he is still dominant amongst his peers - he's not just gonna go away. I hope he takes his time recovering completely and we see him come back strong in March for the playoff push.

Reactions: Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Grievance filed on the very last day they were entitled to do so.

The script writers should get an award nomination for this. Disney would have made this year's Jets an E ticket attraction. :popcorn:

Does this mean things that were previously kept confidential will now have to be made public?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Grievance filed on the very last day they were entitled to do so.

Classic brinksmanship by the NHLPA. Will be interesting to follow the next steps. Given the timeframe of this filing, Buff's injury and his contract, I don't see this ending in the triumphant return of Buff to the Jets, but I guess we'll see.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Looks like the Jets relationship with Byfuglien was fractured a little more today, he may or may not want to continue playing hockey but it might be somewhere else and that might not be a bad thing for the Jets going forward.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Part of me thinks that Buff's agent isn't happy about losing out on some cash and started this process.

But no matter what, it's really sucky for a fan favorite to go out (maybe) like this.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
No real surprise that NHLPA filed that, it's more on them than Buff I would guess
Hopefully this stuff all resolves relatively quickly

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
If he was injured at the end of the season, I believe that the Jets would have been monitoring his health throughout the off-season. I hope this ends soon. Calling bull****

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If he was injured at the end of the season, I believe that the Jets would have been monitoring his health throughout the off-season. I hope this ends soon. Calling bull****
My understanding is the Jets doctors and Buff signed off on the end of season medicals so I don't believe there would be any off season monitoring unless Buff came forward with an injury concern.

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
My understanding is the Jets doctors and Buff signed off on the end of season medicals so I don't believe there would be any off season monitoring unless Buff came forward with an injury concern.
Yes, that's how it works. Signing off on the end of season medical is 100% correct. I don't believe he has a legit grievance. Perhaps either himself, agent or family realized WTF, we just left $10 million (or whatever the number is) on the table... I just want this to be over. I don't wish him any ill will, but this pisses me off.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, that's how it works. Signing off on the end of season medical is 100% correct. I don't believe he has a legit grievance. Perhaps either himself, agent or family realized WTF, we just left $10 million (or whatever the number is) on the table... I just want this to be over. I don't wish him any ill will, but this pisses me off.
I love Buff, and this is how my mood is trending on this as well.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It can be legit if the injury in the summer can be shown to be due to a weakening of the ankle, whether or not it showed up in the physicals. That might be the angle NHLPA is taking. I doubt Buff cares too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad