Dustin Brown keeps surprising me every season

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
1200 games playing his style is really impressive... Contributing as many goals as he's had this year is mind blowing at 36 yrs of age. Its supposed to be a young mans game!

Reactions: deaderhead28

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Being unfairly put in Suter's doghouse during that time didn't help his confidence either. sometime after the 2012 cup win, he fell out of favor with the coach, and IMO, Suter did everything he could to wreck his career. This was the team Captain he did this too, btw. Glad he shook it off and continues to produce.
Once again, that isn't what happened.

Brown stopped playing N/S hockey, thought he was diet Ovechkin, and his play turned into a constant parade of unforced turnovers at the top of the circles. He was never a good board winger to begin with, and his play around the net started to consist mostly of getting out of the way and waving a shots. He wasn't producing anything despite first line and top PP minutes. Add in the fact that his embellishments got to be so bad that even deserved calls stopped being made, Sutter had no choice but to drop him.

Instead of manning up, he sulked for three years, lost his captaincy, and became a maginalized figure around a team that badly needed leadership as the key figures of Richards, Mitchell, Williams, Greene and Stoll left the organization.

He has had an absolutely incredible run here, let's honor that without rewritting history.

Reactions: Osprey

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Brown stopped playing N/S hockey, thought he was diet Ovechkin, and his play turned into a constant parade of unforced turnovers at the top of the circles. He was never a good board winger to begin with, and his play around the net started to consist mostly of getting out of the way and waving a shots. He wasn't producing anything despite first line and top PP minutes. Add in the fact that his embellishments got to be so bad that even deserved calls stopped being made, Sutter had no choice but to drop him.

Instead of manning up, he sulked for three years, lost his captaincy, and became a maginalized figure around a team that badly needed leadership as the key figures of Richards, Mitchell, Williams, Greene and Stoll left the organization.

He has had an absolutely incredible run here, let's honor that without rewritting history.

I think this post is also a bit disingenuous.

Look at Brown's average ice time after 2013. The season they won their second Cup, Brown's ice time had already dwindled by four minutes. From 2013-14 to 2016-17, Brown's average ice time was 15-16 minutes. Prior to that, he was a 19-20 minute player. After Sutter left, Brown's ice time returned to the 19-20 range, and his production went up considerably.

I'm pretty sure those leaders you mentioned were still around when Sutter was blocked from entering the locker room in the game at Tampa Bay in 2015. That was the first season the team missed the playoffs with Sutter behind the bench.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Not rewriting it at all . I know what I saw and how he was treated. Looks likes we both saw it from a different points of view.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
that’s one of the deepest first rounds of all time.

If you go by numbers he’s top10 in that draft easily

I don't think i'd put him top 10 in that draft year, but he'd easily be top 10 in many draft years. 2003 was just such a deep draft. Not meant as a sleight to him, that is just such a damn good draft year.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I think the Kings themsaelves are shocked. they thought he was done when they stripped the C off of him.

He actually should have his jersey retired. he's done so much there for so long.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's really pretty incredible. Many people, myself included, took his slump several years ago as a sign that the physical style he played had taken its toll and he was nearing the end of his career.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Lettuce also not forget, although he was producing in his first 5-8 games him and nearly the entire team of vets looked like absolute garbo outside of Carter's first game. They have since all collectively stepped up after quite a few Kings fans(myself included) were ready to throw the towel in based on the uninspired, lackadaisical and what looked like dying years of play. This could all turn around and happen again this season but the last few games have been a joy to watch. Hopefully it continues.

Reactions: Lt Dan

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
How did Kings fans feel about him losing the C back when it happened, and how do they feel now in hindsight? I know he had a couple down years before losing the C but was it really that bad?

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
How did Kings fans feel about him losing the C back when it happened, and how do they feel now in hindsight? I know he had a couple down years before losing the C but was it really that bad?

Honestly, it was really disappointing at the time. Brown has been my boy since Robitaille retired so seeing him grow as a player and win those cups was fantastic but when things went downhill and him getting stripped of the "C" was a really shitty time. But...he's as good as or better then ever now and losing his captaincy has shown what kind of player he really is. He didnt sulk or demand a trade. He worked on his game, got better and for that is one of the most loved Kings players of all time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

They had just given Kopitar his retirement contract, and Lombardi and Sutter felt he was the guy to lead the team at that point.

Who knows if this is an after the fact defense mechanism, but after Brown had some time to digest the C being taken away, he said he liked not having to take the game home with him. You just feel that weight of responsibility more as a captain.

Since Lombardi and Sutter ran the team into the ground in their own ways, and were both fired not that long after giving the C to Kopitar, it's probably a better look to just leave the C on Brown. Not that Brown is some Messier level captain, but ultimately it was an unnecessary move. Can't go back and re-do it, so you just live with it.

The previous regime did him a little dirty.

Reactions: Reaper45

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
They had just given Kopitar his retirement contract, and Lombardi and Sutter felt he was the guy to lead the team at that point.

Who knows if this is an after the fact defense mechanism, but after Brown had some time to digest the C being taken away, he said he liked not having to take the game home with him. You just feel that weight of responsibility more as a captain.

Since Lombardi and Sutter ran the team into the ground in their own ways, and were both fired not that long after giving the C to Kopitar, it's probably a better look to just leave the C on Brown. Not that Brown is some Messier level captain, but ultimately it was an unnecessary move. Can't go back and re-do it, so you just live with it.

The previous regime did him a little dirty.

But it was under DL that he got the C in the first place.

Kopitar's contract and Sutter's love of Kopitar definitely played a huge factor in the move but I think it was also to try and get Brown to be better. I mean, the best hockey of his career was played after he was put on the trade block.

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Very underrated on here because he's so hated by many, plus he screwed up drinking out of a water bottle that one time.

All time NHL leader in hits while putting up the numbers he has. No jinx, but look at his games played numbers. Pretty insane career.

The only single moment that has topped the dumb way he has constantly worn his helmet on top of his forehead throughout his entire career. All that being said, I will probably cry the day this man retires. I love Kopi, but he never should've lost the C. It shows his character that he's continued to lead and produce without it.

657112744.0.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad