Dustin Brown keeps surprising me every season

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
How did Kings fans feel about him losing the C back when it happened, and how do they feel now in hindsight? I know he had a couple down years before losing the C but was it really that bad?
I had mixed feelings but it didn't bother me as much as other fans iirc. Brown had been captain for a long time and transitioning from that role seemed appropriate. Taking away the responsibility of having to deal with the media and the refs and such all the time allowed him to refocus on his game without a spotlight. I also don't think Brown stopped being a leader in the room either. Being taken off the PK unit is like a smaller version of losing the C now. It's ultimately benefiting him.

Reactions: kingpest19

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
He looks stupid but actually won the OHL Scholastic Player of the Year, for what it's worth.

I don't know if he was actually reading it or just had it memorized, but I've still never seen a prospect tear through Stellaluna at the pace Brown did. Generational Circle Time reader.

Even Mcdavid, who won the award twice, was struggling with some of the vocab.

Stellaluna.jpg

Reactions: BigKing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Two things have greatly improved Brown's longevity:

1. He lost a bunch of weight and transformed his game away from hitting
2. He was taken off the penalty kill, improving his play at even strength and on the power play

Highly suggested for some of these older guys!

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
I think a part of Brown’s success this year is lack of PK time. He and Kopitar historically were the first PK unit. Kopitar is still out there, but I don’t think I see Brown as much.

Kilowatt beat me to my point

Reactions: Lt Dan

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
How did Kings fans feel about him losing the C back when it happened, and how do they feel now in hindsight? I know he had a couple down years before losing the C but was it really that bad?
Didn't care then, care a tiny bit more now in hindsight I suppose to see how he's responded. But that's something that happens within the team, way more goes on in the locker room then we'll ever know about so it all becomes assumptions as fans and that's just to justify your feelings at that stage.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Snyper8

Aug 16, 2005
Hesperia
It did not bother me too much because of who got the C (Kopitar) AND because Brown handled it so well. I think it would have bothered me a lot more if it went to Doughty and/or Brown was vocal about it being B.S..

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
"KNEE SPREE" MANHUNT ENDS IN GUNFIRE, ARREST, QUESTIONS
By Doug Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

San Jose, CA, 9:59PM (UPDATED at 10:34PM)

Dustin Brown, suspected Serial Kneer, was arrested on Sunday by authorities working out of the greater Bay Area.

"We finally got him," Sgt. Thornton said, a visible tear in his eye. "I can never forgive what he did to my deputy. Tomas had such a bright career ahead of him. One of the best deputies I ever had. Now, of course, he's dead. But we got the man responsible."

The "Knee Spree," as it was recently coined, has left a bloody, turbulent trail across much of the North American west coast, with crime scenes from the Bay Area all the way to Calgary, Alberta. Investigators initially believed the Spree was the work of multiple men, perhaps copycats, or perhaps even a wider cabal of Serial Kneers, Elbowers, and Headbutters. The crime wave crossed multiple state lines, inevitably international lines, and left in its wake the bruised and battered hopes and dreams of those it victimized.

"I didn't even see him coming," Jaden Schwartz, a St. Louis man, told the Mercury News. Schwartz famously survived his own run-in with the Serial Kneer several years ago. "Just suddenly, an appendage flew out of the darkness. Didn't see where it came from, or where it went after that. Scariest thing I ever saw. Lucky for me it missed, but it coulda killed me, man."

Others, of course, were not as lucky as Schwartz, including Deputy Tomas Hertl of the SJPD. Before Hertl passed away from complications resulting from Tweaked Knee Syndrome (TKS), he provided investigators with one of the first sketches of Brown's ghoulish though somewhat childlike visage.

"Without Tomas, today isn't possible," Sgt. Thornton exclaimed at an emotional press conference Monday morning. "Tomas gave us the sketch. Tomas gave us Brown's face. TKS has taken so many lives now." Thornton paused to stare blankly into the mid-distance for several moments.

"It's all over, at least," he concluded, eyes glassy.

After spending weeks collecting evidence, investigators finally closed in on Brown's Los Angeles compound early Sunday morning. A heavily armed Brown was suspected to put up a fight, but surprisingly, he surrendered peacefully. In fact, the only shot fired was a brief, nearly disastrous confrontation between Orange County authorities and the SJPD. The Orange County Officer accused of discharging his firearm before the raid on Brown later spoke to the Mercury News:

"Don't know what came over me," Officer Getzlaf said. "I just looked over at the SJ group, and I swear one of 'em looked like a full grown rat wearing man's clothes, like somethin' out of a horror movie. Half man, half rat. Ugliest guy I've ever seen." Getzlaf paused to wipe visible sweat from his gleaming head. "I was spooked, ya know, and I fumbled with my gun, and it just went off. It was an accident. We've all been on edge these last few years."

On edge, indeed, the very edge of the Knee Spree, which originally came to national attention sometime in the spring of 2012. Though some leading researchers claim it was going on long before then.

"These kinds of serial predators, they don't just randomly start hurting people," claimed Dr. Shane Doan, a professor of criminal psychology at University of Arizona. "Sometimes they start as young as six months. Crawl right over to mom or dad, headbutt them right on the patella. It's sick behavior. Lifelong behavior. Brown is never going to change. He's a sick, sick man."

Brown was booked into Santa Clara County Jail late Sunday morning. This is an ongoing story.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I've never seen Kopitar as the Captain with Brown on this team,just a star player who was handed what was rightfully Browns.Sutter had a power trip and it caused lots of friction in that room.

Reactions: Bondoao1

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
What's crazy (if memory serves) is that the only thing that stops him from being the longest tenured player with the same team is that Boston played the night before and some 18 year-old kid made his debut also.

One of a dwindling number of players that played pre-Cap. - can't be much more than a dozen left anymore. All respect. And agree with the OP as I'll write him off and am pleasantly surprised that he's good again.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
His career arc(s) have been insane

He went from a spunky youngster who was showing he could be physical while hanging offensively/ competently skilled. Some might even say he was one of the pioneers of the "rat" or "pest" types that replaced the true heavyweights.

Then he was an integral member of the team once he hit his ceiling, took on the C, and was a great leader for the playoff runs and Cup seasons.

His contract was one of those ones where I think 95% of us on this site thought he would be a buy out victim and a problem for the Kings in the longer term, and he had stretches of play where it really looked that way, his production really dipped at points.

Then against all odds he bounces back after the team moves the C over to Kopitar. In the last few seasons he has bounced back in a major way and continues to be a viable top 6 winger who brings a great mix of everything IRL, and a steal in fantasy drafts. I think it does help that he has literally been stapled to Kopitar for what seems like ever, but Brown backs it up with production and jam.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't think it's accurate to say he was on the heavy decline. He was a good bottom 6 player during most of that time. Not great, but he was a serviceable player.

I don't follow the Kings that closely but the guy went almost overnight from a 50-60 pts scorer to 20-30 pts almost overnight, if that's not a heavy decline idk what is. It also coincided with a big 8 years $47M contract, not something you give to "serviceable bottom 6 players".

He surprised everyone with 61 pts in 2017, I thought it was just due to the Kings being weird, Kopitar also having a career year. But Brown continues to play good well in his 30s, truly impressive!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->