Player Discussion Duncan Keith

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Duncan Keith is back in Penticton, saw him at the kidsfest yesterday having a kfc picnic with his son

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Near 20 min a night, 20 points, and a +15 (2nd best relative to the rest of the D).

I think if you told anyone last summer that stateline, everyone would be over the moon. Especially as it wasn't really sheltered at all, playing with Ceci at the start of the year and then 2nd pairing minutes with young defenceman in Bouchard during back half of the season.

If he steps away, great. That's either 5.5 or 9mil towards the cap depending on which path he takes. But honestly I don't hate the idea of him coming back one more season.

Imo he's an easy fit as a mentor for Broberg or Samorukov, and someone that can jump up to the top 4 when needed.

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Keith-Samorukov/Broberg/Niemo

Though that is betting a ton on the kids, and for at least one of them to step up and help push the unit from "meh" to one of the top groups in the league.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Near 20 min a night, 20 points, and a +15 (2nd best relative to the rest of the D).

I think if you told anyone last summer that stateline, everyone would be over the moon. Especially as it wasn't really sheltered at all, playing with Ceci at the start of the year and then 2nd pairing minutes with young defenceman in Bouchard during back half of the season.

If he steps away, great. That's either 5.5 or 9mil towards the cap depending on which path he takes. But honestly I don't hate the idea of him coming back one more season.

Imo he's an easy fit as a mentor for Broberg or Samorukov, and someone that can jump up to the top 4 when needed.

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Keith-Samorukov/Broberg/Niemo

Though that is betting a ton on the kids, and for at least one of them to step up and help push the unit from "meh" to one of the top groups in the league.

I don't mind "Keith the player" coming back really, he would be fine in the bottom pairing. I DO NOT want "Keith the cap hit" coming back though, and unfortunately, its a package deal. Keith retiring would, without any doubt at all, be the best thing to happen to the franchise. You could sign Kulak and a starting goaltender very easily with the $8.9 million that would be freed up by Keith retiring, and the defense would be better for it since Kulak > Keith at this point in their careers. The team would obviously be better for it as well due to having a legit starting goaltender (as you'd be spending about $6 million on tending in this fictional scenario).

Again, none of this matters, as Keith isn't going to retire. But it really would be great if he did.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't mind "Keith the player" coming back really, he would be fine in the bottom pairing. I DO NOT want "Keith the cap hit" coming back though, and unfortunately, its a package deal. Keith retiring would, without any doubt at all, be the best thing to happen to the franchise. You could sign Kulak and a starting goaltender very easily with the $8.9 million that would be freed up by Keith retiring, and the defense would be better for it since Kulak > Keith at this point in their careers. The team would obviously be better for it as well due to having a legit starting goaltender (as you'd be spending about $6 million on tending in this fictional scenario).

Again, none of this matters, as Keith isn't going to retire. But it really would be great if he did.
I’m not sure I buy Kulak is better at this point. He’s a dman who has basically exclusively played bottom pairing in his career. Keith showed this season he can still be a reasonable top 4 option. Kulak has never shown that before.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m not sure I buy Kulak is better at this point. He’s a dman who has basically exclusively played bottom pairing in his career. Keith showed this season he can still be a reasonable top 4 option. Kulak has never shown that before.

He played 2nd pairing in the Montreal cup run last year. Not sure about other years though, you might be right about that.

keith isn't retiring you guys.

No, he isn't, but it's fun to dream :)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He played 2nd pairing in the Montreal cup run last year. Not sure about other years though, you might be right about that.

No he didn’t. He played fewer than 13 minutes a night on Montreal’s run last year. He was a healthy scratch nearly half the time.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dang, we get a 3.4M cap credit if he retires on top of his 5.5M freed up. Bonus Chicago gets wrecked with cap penalties.

Retire man!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Dang, we get a 3.4M cap credit if he retires on top of his 5.5M freed up. Bonus Chicago gets wrecked with cap penalties.

Retire man!

Ah, but insiderrrrr John Shannon said that Keith and Smith are too competitive to retire with a year left on their contracts, said you could read it in their body language at the exit interviews. Maybe he needs new coke bottle lenses :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: oobga and Sanchez

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Kulak has averaged 15-17 5v5 TOI since Montreal. Keith had 16/15 regular season/playoffs this year.

I think Kulak is the superior player and could take on Keith's PK time (didn't really check if he is doing that more) easily. Also formed an outstanding pair with Petry for a couple years until Montreal chased giant meat head defence and let him waste away on the third pair.

Kulak was +7 for us this playoffs too, I don't know why he wasn't playing ahead of Keith because every way you look at it, he was better. Keith was -4 in comparison and if you are willing to go into the advanced stats it was even more a slam dunk. Game 7 LA showed he could handle the tougher assignments too.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Kulak has averaged 15-17 5v5 TOI since Montreal. Keith had 16/15 regular season/playoffs this year.

I think Kulak is the superior player and could take on Keith's PK time (didn't really check if he is doing that more) easily. Also formed an outstanding pair with Petry for a couple years until Montreal chased giant meat head defence and let him waste away on the third pair.

Kulak was +7 for us this playoffs too, I don't know why he wasn't playing ahead of Keith because every way you look at it, he was better. Keith was -4 in comparison and if you are willing to go into the advanced stats it was even more a slam dunk. Game 7 LA showed he could handle the tougher assignments too.

Defensive zone giveaways Keith was also by far the worst and the worst at protecting the blue line during this playoff run. Kulak, one of the best in both. I dont think its unreasonable to think Kulak could replace Keiths minutes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Defensive zone giveaways Keith was also by far the worst and the worst at protecting the blue line during this playoff run. Kulak, one of the best in both. I dont think its unreasonable to think Kulak could replace Keiths minutes.
Kulak being able to do just as good or slightly better than Keith is fine, but we really need to bring in someone that can legitimately play top 4 all year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think Keith retires. I doubt Holland is capable of anything creative to deal with that cap hit. The team will have to deal with it by having cheap cap hits like ELCs and such.

I actually prefer he stays. I'd rather we didn't get a bunch of cap space that we would use up on veterans with term. Save cap space for Bouchard and the other young guys coming up. Get interesting rentals at the deadline or some other cheap veteran with something to prove like what Kane was

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Retire man!
He wants his sweater hanging in Chicago this would kill that dream of his

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
He wants his sweater hanging in Chicago this would kill that dream of his

I think it would be pretty petty of the Blackhawks to not retire his jersey because he retired early. The GM who signed this deal is gone. He delivered them 3 Cup, 2 Norris trophies and one Conn Smythe.

A decision to not honor him could be another brick in the road on the way to destroying their brand.

I don't think Keith retires. I doubt Holland is capable of anything creative to deal with that cap hit. The team will have to deal with it by having cheap cap hits like ELCs and such.

I actually prefer he stays. I'd rather we didn't get a bunch of cap space that we would use up on veterans with term. Save cap space for Bouchard and the other young guys coming up. Get interesting rentals at the deadline or some other cheap veteran with something to prove like what Kane was

I would hope all parties involved could see the benefit in this scenario:

Keith is traded to a team looking to make cap floor.

Oilers add sweetener - maybe a 3rd round pick.

Said team buys him out. Enjoys a $4.5M cap penalty at a $500k x2 cost.

Oilers sign Keith for one-year at league minimum.

Oilers have more cap room. Keith actually makes more money. Other team gets cap hit + extra.

Reactions: Skar

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Just sit there and do nothing while teams scam LTIR every deadline but of course the NHL will fight to the death to screw us out of cap benefit clearly outlined in the CBA. Wonderful
I suspect with how clearly the credit is outlined in the CBA, the league would open themselves up to a lawsuit if they didn’t honour it. Whether the Oilers organization has the balls to call them on that is another matter entirely though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad