Player Discussion Duncan Keith

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
He's been just fine, and whether most would admit it or not, even a little better than expected. A million cheaper (not his fault) would be ideal but other than that, I no issue with Keith.

I do believe we will see his true value in the playoffs.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I really liked the Keith acquisition (one million too much, perhaps) and I think he's been very valuable.

I do think he needs to sharpen up his game a bit, though.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's been okay play wise but little difference from what we had, zero difference in the big team leadership thing we were sold.
Absurdly high cost to acquire.

He has not been terrible so we have that going for us.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Makes some smart plays in his own zone and good stick work. But his propensity to get caught 2-3 times a game by making a bad decision or gambling is a bit troubling.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Missed 8 games (can't remember why to be honest.. maybe it was all protocol?)
Gets turnstyled or blown right by several times a game
5.5 cap hit next season and cost us a third round pick which may become a 2nd
14 points in 33 games is good
good first pass
Been better lately
Elite vision
Elite hands
poor skater now (hence the turnstyles and gap control issues)
faces tough comp
Might help Bro
Probably helps Nurse
Old

B- for me... definitely not a gongshow like I thought he'd be though. A legit 2LD but I wouldn't say a great one.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
good first pass
Been better lately
Elite vision
Elite hands
faces tough comp
Might help Bro
Probably helps Nurse
Old

B- for me... definitely not a gongshow like I thought he'd be though. A legit 2LD but I wouldn't say a great one.
If that 3rd becomes a 2nd, we win the trade and it's not even close.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
good first pass
Been better lately
Elite vision
Elite hands
faces tough comp
Might help Bro
Probably helps Nurse
Old

It could be much worse...imagine if we had the equivalent of a LD Ethan Bear playing 2LD

Reactions: nturn06

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I must say I think DK has been great so far through 41.

Aside from the Blackhawks off ice stuff how do you guys think he has been in his 1st year with the Oilers?

I'm hoping he settles the boys down in the playoffs and we can go on a run!
Steady just not worth 5.5 in cap hit. Not his fault. Its Holland's for being a shitty negotiator.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I think he has been okay. Not as good or consistent defensively as Nurse or Ceci, but not as bad as Barrie or Bouch.
Bouchard has been very good. Hes won games for this team on his own.

Im now a bit concerned how we'll afford both Nurse and Bouchard.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
good first pass
Been better lately
Elite vision
Elite hands
faces tough comp
Might help Bro
Probably helps Nurse
Old

Same page...if only he could skate. Thats the only thing I have an issue with now. Hes still an amazing passer and brilliant vision but the penalty he took last game just an example of how much his speed has fallen off a cliff.

Reactions: Czechboy

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I must say I think DK has been great so far through 41.

Aside from the Blackhawks off ice stuff how do you guys think he has been in his 1st year with the Oilers?

I'm hoping he settles the boys down in the playoffs and we can go on a run!

Great is an exaggeration. He has been better than expected but as demonstrated in another thread he was so bad the last 2 years prior that getting better is an extremely low bar.

He has played like an adequate #4. Ceci is absolutely the far stronger player on his pairing.

He has a tendency to puck watch and regularly throws pizzas down the ice to the opposing team. Gets caught on pinches... not as bad as Barrie but also way more than a nhl defender making 5.5 mill per year should.

That is the crux for me. Keith has not played bad overall but also has not played great by any sane account but the f***ed makes 5.5 mill a year in cap space. That's f***ing gross. This year it's problematic. Next year it's f***ing disastrous.

He has been better than expected but woefully inadequate for his cap hit and it's only going to get worse.

Also. Very important to point out the Oilers defense overall has been poor with him a culprit and we are not in a playoff position. The way Keith and the Oilers have played this year it's extremely premature to even speculate we make the playoffs especially in light of his play.

But I think the smart money is that if... if we make the playoffs Keith will not be a force to recon with. He will likely be that much more worn out and useless than he would be in the regular season. Hard to imagine he magically gets younger/better in a more competitive playoff format.

Reactions: Rengorlex

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
on pace for 34.8 pts over 82 games with no PP time and averaging almost 21 mins a night - he's been a good add

caleb jones still looking like caleb jones in Chicago
As the numbers point out he has been the most improved defender since the start of the year. I’m not sure why people still whine about this. Next year is a different story but as of now he has been a solid addition. People like to notice what he does wrong but pay zero attention to all the things he does right.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He's been okay play wise but little difference from what we had, zero difference in the big team leadership thing we were sold.
Absurdly high cost to acquire.

He has not been terrible so we have that going for us.

What? His puckmoving is an improvement from what we had. Many of plays have been generated from his outlet passing.

The rebirth of Koski has also been credited to him urging the team to support him.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
He's been decent. Ceci has been the better defenceman on the pairing, but Keith has been fairly steady and added a bit more offense than expected.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He’s been better than I expected, he and Ceci have been a solid second pair, which is something we haven’t had in a long time.

can’t judge him on the cost to acquire him or his contract. Those are things Holland gets judged on.

Reactions: ujju2 and Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad