Player Discussion Duncan Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Love it. Please be good to Bouchard, Duncan. Teach him well and please destroy Tkachuk with a cross check to the jaw.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Do we finally have a guy that can get away with filthy crosschecks in the crease? Old grease.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You’re picking a spot and a fight and I’m not interested as I’ve stated. I’m not into such sophistry

No, I'll exit the thread. Just tired of any deal, no matter how bad, chronically being defended on this board. I'll show myself out of the thread, my opinion doesn't belong on this specific pom pom thread.

Reactions: Aerchon

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No, I'll exit the thread. Just tired of any deal, no matter how bad, chronically being defended on this board. I'll show myself out of the thread, my opinion doesn't belong on this specific pom pom thread.

I think this is meant to just discuss the player good or bad. I don't think this thread should be used to justify or vilify the trade but rather focus on the player himself and what we think he can or can't do.

Trust me I'm with you criticizing the trade, but just not this thread.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It's sad as I, like many don't like the deal, but many many times over the years have thought if we could only get Duncan Keith. I just don't like him at his age and cap hit. Still, he is an all-time great, I just hope he has some gas left in the tank.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Apparently if Keith retires next season it gives us a 3.8 million retirement surplus due to Chicago's cap recapture penalty effectively opening up over 9 million dollars in salary cap, so lets just pray he retires at the end of 2022. Hopefully us doing him a favour and letting him see his kid more will be enough to convince him to do us a favour in return.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Chronically defending? Majority of the posts in the trade thread are shitting on the deal. We can all take a dump on the deal and be interested in the player at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

If you want to see my criticism of the trade you can look for it. I was only going to be happy with the deal for 50% retention. But the knee jerk has faded and I will wait to see how the rest of the offseason goes before making a decision on how I feel about the GM. I’ve had two failures of postseasons to make an opinion on the coach, I think that’s reasonable enough

I’m looking forward to seeing how Keith does on a better team and am leaving it at that

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you want to see my criticism of the trade you can look for it. I was only going to be happy with the deal for 50% retention. But the knee jerk has faded and I will wait to see how the rest of the offseason goes before making a decision on how I feel about the GM. I’ve had two failures of postseasons to make an opinion on the coach, I think that’s reasonable enough

I’m looking forward to seeing how Keith does on a better team and am leaving it at that

Was my bd yesterday so I took sabbatical after some posts in the morning on the trade. I didn't see any of the 2nd keith trade thread so must have missed any comments from you that were critical. No prob, take your word for it, but today you did seem very up on the deal, and confronting others who aren't.

The thing that I can't subscribe to is that Holland hasn't already shown his dead brain here. Turris acquisition. Check. AA acquisition AND giving assets for him. Check. Keith trade and giving assets back and taking on all cap. Check.

Reality is Holland has been a questionable GM for around a decade. Lots to substantiate that back to his time in Detroit.

I mean these were horrendous acquisitions. I don't know that I need more time.

Sometimes reaction is honest. I just find it uncanny a day later a lot of people start liking the same day old dogs breakfast.

Thanks for clarifying

Reactions: Aerchon

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The best thing I can say about Keith is that hopefully he retires next year and we get that cap reclamation. He won't do this to his old club though, so we are stuck with this contract unless we buy it out next year, which we might have to after Keith fails spectacularly this upcoming season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Was my bd yesterday so I took sabbatical after some posts in the morning on the trade. I didn't see any of the 2nd keith trade thread so must have missed any comments from you that were critical. No prob, take your word for it, but today you did seem very up on the deal, and confronting others who aren't.

The thing that I can't subscribe to is that Holland hasn't already shown his dead brain here. Turris acquisition. Check. AA acquisition AND giving assets for him. Check. Keith trade and giving assets back and taking on all cap. Check.

Reality is Holland has been a questionable GM for around a decade. Lots to substantiate that back to his time in Detroit.

Sometimes reaction is honest. I just find it uncanny a day later a lot of people start liking the same day old dogs breakfast.

Thanks for clarifying

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on all those bad moves. The Keith trade has shown me that I was wrong to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is old and the game has passed him by. They should be firing him immediately.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Thanks for clarifying

Understood, belated happy birthday :thumbu:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Duncan Keith has won everything team and individual at the highest level of competition this game offers. He's experienced everything and all situations that can be imagined again at the highest level of competition this game offers. This is an elite conditioned competitive beast who will not be outworked or out competed. Has shown to elevate performance in all important moments.

These are all substantive intangibles he brings to a team that has had a systemic weak losing culture and an inability to grasp the big moments. Keith will add strength of character, wisdom, confidence and experience to a younger leadership group gaining traction in their own leadership abilities. He'll have a steadying effect as a secondary pairing d-man and a mentor for the wave of upcoming young d-men aspiring to slot into NHL jobs over the next two to four years.

Hopeful a new, positive environment of a (hopeful) emergent team will have an energizing effect for the player as well. And post-pandemic ease of access to his son and family helping to optimize off-ice considerations of this future Hall of Famer.

I can be (and am) critical of the trade details but still value this player. Full bias alert, he's been one of my favourite players for a long while. Hopeful we'll see a rejuvenated player slotted into a support role to succeed and thrive. As above I believe in his player's character and will to compete and win.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
So today I chatted with someone that is connected (tight with Keith’s agent Gerry Johanson) and he said that Keith was coming here for sure after he changed over to his agency (which is part of why he changed agencies). Keith has wanted to come here before it was speculated by the media as well (as alluded to by our friend Adam from Leduc).

He also said that Draisaitl was approached by management (I’m sure McDavid was as well but it wasn’t mentioned), asking if he would want them to trade for Keith if he was available, and essentially Leon said “get him over here immediately”.

The whole team is looking forward to his leadership, competitive personality and mentorship. They definitely noticed him in the play ins and feel he would have made a difference in the play offs this year.

I know at this stage this isn’t really anything earth-shattering but it confirms some of what we’ve heard before and I imagine that Adam fellow must have known that Keith was going to ask to be moved over here.

The person I talked to is a huge Keith fan so he was excited to know he was coming here and had to keep this knowledge under wraps for quite a while. I asked how certain he was of him coming here before it was announced and he said it was 100% certain.

I suppose this makes it sound like for sure a better deal or retention should have been had but (and this is more speculative), Bowman would have had other offers (perhaps better) on the table, and while we were Keith’s primary choice, he would have been a good soldier and gone elsewhere if it wasn’t going to happen here.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So today I chatted with someone that is connected (tight with Keith’s agent Gerry Johanson) and he said that Keith was coming here for sure after he changed over to his agency (which is part of why he changed agencies). Keith has wanted to come here before it was speculated by the media as well (as alluded to by our friend Adam from Leduc).

He also said that Draisaitl was approached by management (I’m sure McDavid was as well but it wasn’t mentioned), asking if he would want them to trade for Keith if he was available, and essentially Leon said “get him over here immediately”.

The whole team is looking forward to his leadership, competitive personality and mentorship. They definitely noticed him in the play ins and feel he would have made a difference in the play offs this year.

I know at this stage this isn’t really anything earth-shattering but it confirms some of what we’ve heard before and I imagine that Adam fellow must have known that Keith was going to ask to be moved over here.

The person I talked to is a huge Keith fan so he was excited to know he was coming here and had to keep this knowledge under wraps for quite a while. I asked how certain he was of him coming here before it was announced and he said it was 100% certain.

I suppose this makes it sound like for sure a better deal or retention should have been had but (and this is more speculative), Bowman would have had other offers (perhaps better) on the table, and while we were Keith’s primary choice, he would have been a good soldier and gone elsewhere if it wasn’t going to happen here.
Thanks for sharing.

The collapse vs the Jets was the final straw for the leadership core and management.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I've officially watched Keith for 4 games last year. Here's my quick scouting report and why I think he will help this team at the end of the day. (Trade still sucks though to the tune of about 2-3M wasted Cap):
- He's not straight line fast but he's very quick. Quick in lots of areas: closing in on opposition, getting involved in board battles, getting into defensive positions.
- His decision making is lightning quick. He does not contemplate and ho and hum before making outlet passes like Lars and Klef used to. He almost instinctually knows what his next move will be so when he gets the puck, its on and off in an instant. I think this will help our overall team speed.
- He has a really good defensive stick.
- Does not have the size or strength to really lean on or push guys off pucks, but his stick work and body positioning gets the job done.
- His outlet passes are snappy, quick, and accurate. He has lots of experience sending Kane away on breakaways and odd man rushes. I see him doing this for McDavid now. A very good bet that his offence ticks upward this year, which should make his Cap more reasonable.
- He has a quick half slapper to get pucks on net. Has always been effective for him if you look at a lot of his goal highlights, but maybe it's lost a bit of zip during his decline.
- His skating is pretty good still. I see why people thought he was a great skater before. He has this hop to his skating, almost as if he's always ready to pounce or change direction on a dime.
- He did make some mistakes in my watching, weak clears, some odd giveaways, covering the wrong guy or overcommitting to the wrong side defending a rush. Some of the mistakes were definitely 100% on Keith but a lot of it is due to how much of a tire fire that Chicago team has been, they almost always look like they have no system and it doesn't seem that team is positionally sound. Their forwards are sporadic in their efforts to backcheck.

I say in a 2LD role he'll fit perfectly for us while providing whatever intangibles off the ice he can. Too bad about that Cap hit and trade though, oof.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Is he tight enough to know about the smoke to the fire concerning Taylor Hall :naughty:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly I’m not sure. I didn’t ask, probably should have lol

200.gif

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad