Dumba high hit on Backlund

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I paused it right at the point of contact, Dumba has a skate on the ice... the impact and inertia of the collision launches Dumba up in the air. Backlund is leaning forward and Dumba stands tall. The hit was unnecessary, timing of the game considered... but I don't think there will be any further disciplinary action by the league.

Lomberg should get a few games for jumping on a guy and punching him when he was down, while guy still had his gloves on... he didn't even try to let Dumba get his gloves off or square up. I don't mind the fact Lomberg wanted to fight him but don't straight up jump a guy and then keep punching him when he was down. If he would have asked Dumba to go and Dumba rejected him then I wouldn't mind if Lomberg just drops them and starts to throw... but that's not what he did.

On another note... man, do I detest Kelly Hrudey. When he first started in the media, I used to like him but now he is unbearable to listen to.

I don't recall Kassian getting any games?

Now.....with that said, giving the time left in the game, he'll sit a few. Not because he didn't do the exact same thing as Kassian, but because it was a major with less than 5 minutes to go in the game.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Doesn’t Lomberg get an automatic suspension for instigating a fight in the final 5 minutes of a game? would not be surprised if that’s the only suspension that comes of this.

Nobody cares? The guy has 3 NHL games and 18 AHL games this season.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
you guys too? Canucks fans hate him. I'm surprised he's been doing this job since 1999.

back to the hit, look at the replay, my gosh how did Backlund not see him? Is one thing if a pass game to a guys stick and he gets smoked, (Laine) but this hit, Backland received the puck, had a second to handle it, and then dump it, and still not see Dumba?

My only objection to the hit was that he was trying to hurt him......and he did. It's pretty grey as to whether it was illegal or not, but make no mistake that he was trying to inflict damage. There were a lot of strides taken prior to the hit.

Down by two, about a minute to go in the game, you have the extra man on the ice, and instead of trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone you choose to take the head off of an unsuspecting player.

Backlund knowing they had the extra man on the ice and that nothing is over until it's over was doing everything he could to make sure he got the puck out of the zone.

Looking at the whole picture......Dumba took out his frustrations of losing the game on Backlund. Then, when challenged for his actions, turtled against a guy three inches shorter than him. Sometimes you need to answer the bell for your actions. If not this game, he'll be asked to do it next game. Kinda the way the NHL has been for decades.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Doesn’t Lomberg get an automatic suspension for instigating a fight in the final 5 minutes of a game? would not be surprised if that’s the only suspension that comes of this.
Not an automatic suspension but an automatic review. Guarantees that they look at it.

Given that they gave him an instigator as well he likely gets a game. I think if he does the coach gets a small fine too

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
He should get one by the rulebook. However, since the guy should be in the AHL anyway, the suspension has no effect on anyone.
Yeah he'd be sitting in the press box all weekend anyway so suspension doesn't matter much

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
NHL rules state that "a player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident."

Colin Campbell, the NHL's executive in charge of discipline, decided that a one-game ban for Malkin wasn't warranted.
"Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight," Campbell said in a statement. "A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded."

Also note that NHL uses "rescinded". They need evidence to overturn the incoming suspension.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Also note that NHL uses "rescinded". They need evidence to overturn the incoming suspension.
I remember that happening in a Flames game a year or two ago as well. Someone (Ferland maybe?) Got an instigator with a minute left but the NHL decided not to give him the suspension

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I wonder if Giordano is ever going to get suspended for one of his knee on knee hits?

He's been making a habit out of it the last few years.

Out of position and too slow to recover, so trip happens. He could try to learn another trick instead of the knee destroyers. Like the garden variety bear hug.

Also too slow to catch Koivu is an achievement in its own right.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Out of position and too slow to recover, so trip happens. He could try to learn another trick instead of the knee destroyers. Like the garden variety bear hug.

Also too slow to catch Koivu is an achievement in its own right.

Pretty odd throwing shade on a front runner for the Norris at this point of the year?

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I wonder if Giordano is ever going to get suspended for one of his knee on knee hits?

He's been making a habit out of it the last few years.
I know what you mean, he's had like 2 in the last 10 years. What a madman

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Wanna list them.........
Bobby Ryan
Cam Fowler
Koivu

Off the top of my head. Might be missing one or two.

That's in the last couple of seasons. Which is alot because I can't remember the last time I saw a knee on knee by anyone else.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
The hit came a few minutes after the Giordano knee on Koivu (he didn’t return), in the waning moments of a game that looked like a loss. Dumba playing at home might have been a bit extra amped up and Koivu is the only captain he’s ever had.

As far as the hit goes; I would say it was clean regardless of the sweaters. I like big open ice hits and I’ve been consistent. Dumba doesn’t launch himself through the air for a high hit, he explodes up into Backlund.

I have never loved the idea that every big hit need a fight. I think that leads to less big hits. This was different though given the circumstances, and I get why the coach wanted to send AHL guy out there. He’ll pay the fine and we all move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCaps2004

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Pretty odd throwing shade on a front runner for the Norris at this point of the year?

Homer much? He gets handful of 3rd team allstar votes every year, but that is about that. Around 10th best D every year.

Also 34, not 24. Also speed class "glacier" in a league that just banned grapple hockey.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Bobby Ryan
Cam Fowler
Koivu

Off the top of my head. Might be missing one or two.

That's in the last couple of seasons. Which is alot because I can't remember the last time I saw a knee on knee by anyone else.

Mmmmmhmmmmmm.......Off the top of your head.

I'm betting a card carrying Flames basher like yourself was on Google faster than a fat kid on a Smartie!

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Homer much? He gets handful of 3rd team allstar votes every year, but that is about that. Around 10th best D every year.

Also 34, not 24. Also speed class "glacier" in a league that just banned grapple hockey.

The scary part is that I think you actually believe this!?!?

Open your eyes, have a look around.......he's definitely in the running.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Mmmmmhmmmmmm.......Off the top of your head.

I'm betting a card carrying Flames basher like yourself was on Google faster than a fat kid on a Smartie!

You asked for a list. You got the list and now you are just going to cry about it?

The guy clearly has a history of knee to knee.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The scary part is that I think you actually believe this!?!?

Open your eyes, have a look around.......he's definitely in the running.

He hasn't been "in the running" for the last decade and you are in the wrong part of the North America to win anything.

Just being the realist here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad