Dumba high hit on Backlund

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
You asked for a list. You got the list and now you are just going to cry about it?

The guy clearly has a history of knee to knee.

Nah.....just you're choice of words. "Habit" would imply it's a regular thing.

3 times in a career wouldn't be considered a "habit".

It's also funny that if you google "Mark Giradano Knee on Knee" the three names pop up that you mentioned.....in the order that you mentioned.

But I'll take your word for it that it's off the top of your head.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Nah.....just you're choice of words. "Habit" would imply it's a regular thing.

3 times in a career wouldn't be considered a "habit".

It's also funny that if you google "Mark Giradano Knee on Knee" the three names pop up that you mentions.....in the order that you mentioned.

But I'll take your word for it that it's off the top of your head.

Keep trying to turn the discussion after from the reoccurring behaviour of Giordano.

He's piling up a track record wouldn't you agree?

Maybe Marchment was his favorite player growing up. I dunno.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Keep trying to turn the discussion after from the reoccurring behaviour of Giordano.

He's piling up a track record wouldn't you agree?

Maybe Marchment was his favorite player growing up. I dunno.

I'm not saying he's never done it or that they aren't a bad thing.

He's thrown them in the past. Along with countless other players, and they are all bad.

All I was calling out was that you took yet another chance to shit on a Flames player which is kinda your shtick.

If this was a thread about anyone but a Flames we wouldn't hear boo from you.

Besides......was that even a knee on knee? Looked more like a skate on skate to me.

Maybe a leg on leg......

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Whatever floats your boat......

Is Mark Giordano a favourite for the Norris?

Many would disagree with you.

We will see, but Western Canada hasn't won the Norris ever. Oldest 1st Norris is Chara at 31, playing for Boston.

And this is not even considering his playing quality, which at 34 is not likely to improve and has resulted in back of the allstar list selections in several previous years.

However, wouldn't you rather talk about the thread subject?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
We will see, but Western Canada hasn't won the Norris ever. Oldest 1st Norris is Chara at 31, playing for Boston.

And this is not even considering his playing quality, which at 34 is not likely to improve and has resulted in back of the allstar list selections in several previous years.

However, wouldn't you rather talk about the thread subject?

Damn......you're right.

I thought I was in the Giradano Kneeing thread! My bad.

I certainly don't disagree with you. All things being equal Riley will win it not because he's a better defense man but because he plays for the Leafs. East coast bias is a live and well.

Any way I said my peace about the Dumba hit. I thought it was a predatory play.....but certainly not suspension worthy.

Just hope Backlund is okay. Flames need him in the line up.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Leaves his feet to make contact imo. Not after. Contact to the head. I don't recall a history of this for Dumba, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Doesn’t look fine worthy to me.

I think Peters is right. It’s a clean hit, but it shouldn’t and wouldn’t have happened if the refs called the trip 1 minute before. That’s on the refs not Dumba who has to keep going hard with his net empty.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm not saying he's never done it or that they aren't a bad thing.

He's thrown them in the past. Along with countless other players, and they are all bad.

All I was calling out was that you took yet another chance to **** on a Flames player which is kinda your shtick.

If this was a thread about anyone but a Flames we wouldn't hear boo from you.

Besides......was that even a knee on knee? Looked more like a skate on skate to me.

Maybe a leg on leg......
Maybe you should go back to Calgarypuck if you can't handle people calling out Flames players when they make repeated dirtbag plays.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Doesn’t Lomberg get an automatic suspension for instigating a fight in the final 5 minutes of a game? would not be surprised if that’s the only suspension that comes of this.

As a Flames fan I certainly hope so lol he’s awful. I personally don’t have a problem with this hit. Looks like Backs was worried about the strong side D and didn’t expect Dumba to come across

He kept his arms down and I respect that. Don’t really expect him to fight a plug like Lomberg either. Unfortunate Backs is hurt though

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Stop the video at the moment of contact and you'll see his feet are still on the ice. Maybe a penalty for illegal head contact but shouldn't be a suspension or even a fine in my opinion. Players really need to learn to stop lunging forward and this kind of hit would have either been side stepped or at worst should to should/chest.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Good hit keeps the elbow tucked. There is no rule saying that you can stand tall on a hit. Backlund obviously just not paying attention enough thinking the game is over. 50 seconds left in the game, keep ur head up.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
Dumba left his feet before contact?

Doesn't look that way to me, or probably anybody with working eyes.

A3GkTcB.jpg

Dumba should not have left his feet to ruin a good hit. He also should have known someone would be after him.

One day you'll have a hot take that isn't wrong, I believe in you.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
So, I want to get something straight. It would seem the majority of you feel that making the head the principle point of contact is ok simply because the player’s head was down? There’s simply no other assessment I can arrive at based on many of the comments here. Getting hit in the head is the choice of the player om the receiving end of the hit...and the hitter is just dutifully fulfilling his job by hitting a guy in the head because it’s down.

This is like saying it’s not my fault I stole **** from your car because you left it unlocked. Fair game.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Good hit keeps the elbow tucked. There is no rule saying that you can stand tall on a hit. Backlund obviously just not paying attention enough thinking the game is over. 50 seconds left in the game, keep ur head up.
Case in point.

Do you believe Backlund, or any other player, is eligible to be hit in the head simply because it’s down? Is it ever ok to hit someone in the head? In the NFL, for instance, making contact to the head as the primary point of contact is a penalty. Period. Is the NHL a different animal? Head shots not as big of a priority that the impetus is placed on the person getting hit and not the person delivering it?

Sounds like bull**** to me.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The rule book will be a better rule book once it's changed to make any head contact, accidental or otherwise, an automatic suspension.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
@FeatherHead It seems like you're expressing outrage, but the answers to most of your rhetorical questions are "actually, yes."

The current NHL rules still entirely tolerate hits to the head where the hit cannot be made without hitting the head. The general premise is that any player carrying the puck is allowed to be hit. There is no body position they can adopt to prevent a player from legally hitting them. As long as Dumba here keeps his feet on the ice prior to the hit, which he does, keeps his arms tucked, which he did, and plants the hit through the centre of Backlund's body, which he does, then head contact is deemed to be inevitable in the process of making a clean hit, and there is no violation of Rule 48 on the play.

The NHL is a different animal than the IIHF and (apparently) the NFL, though I don't know about that league's rules. In international hockey, all head hits are illegal, but the NHL still has very different rules.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Doesn’t look fine worthy to me.

I think Peters is right. It’s a clean hit, but it shouldn’t and wouldn’t have happened if the refs called the trip 1 minute before. That’s on the refs not Dumba who has to keep going hard with his net empty.

Where did Peters say it was a clean hit? If you are referring to his post-game scrum, he said it ironically. He was calling out the refs for putting the whistles away with 3 minutes left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad