Dreger: Dumba & Brodin asking price is No.1 Center

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Here is the reality:

Kapanen doesn't get you Dumba / Brodin

Dumba / Brodin doesn't get you a #1C

I guess it all comes back to what your definition of a #1C is. We're not talking about McDavid or Matthews....probably a player more along the lines of Max Domi.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I guess it all comes back to what your definition of a #1C is. We're not talking about McDavid or Matthews....probably a player more along the lines of Max Domi.

Dumba is worth Domi in a vacuum. However, the Habs have no need for Dumba with Petry / Weber on RHD. Habs are not interested in trading Domi at all. Especially for Brodin...

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Dumba is worth Domi in a vacuum. However, the Habs have no need for Dumba with Petry / Weber on RHD. Habs are not interested in trading Domi at all. Especially for Brodin...

I was just using Domi as an example of the type of player the Wild may target. I get that it probably doesn't make sense for the Habs.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I actually could see Brodin + for Domi as long as Brodin is extended. The issue is that shutdown D's value is harder to gauge because many people refer to points scored and hence I assume this is why they would trade at a discount (or not get traded at all). Also let s say next season is another down season and you lack offensive production, the media will say : well you trade a 60 point producer and that's the kind of production you have been missing this year. So I get the pressure on the GM to do such a trade. In front of my computer I would do Brodin extended with a small + for Domi, as a GM not sure I would have the courage to do so. ;)

It is crazy how guys like Demelo (unrelated note I believe he is the one the Leafs should trade for) or Brodin are flying under the radar because they have limited offensive contribution, while they actually are essential pieces of a team.

Reactions: PuckInTheNards

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I actually could see Brodin + for Domi as long as Brodin is extended. The issue is that shutdown D's value is harder to gauge because many people refer to points scored and hence I assume this is why they would trade at a discount (or not get traded at all). Also let s say next season is another down season and you lack offensive production, the media will say : well you trade a 60 point producer and that's the kind of production you have been missing this year. So I get the pressure on the GM to do such a trade. In front of my computer I would do Brodin extended with a small + for Domi, as a GM not sure I would have the courage to do so. ;)

It is crazy how guys like Demelo (unrelated note I believe he is the one the Leafs should trade for) or Brodin are flying under the radar because they have limited offensive contribution, while they actually are essential pieces of a team.

Habs wouldn't do that at all. We don't need another shutdown D. We have Chiarot - a shutdown D - in the fold and Romanov around the corner. Habs need Domi, his grit and his upside.

I get why Minny would have interest in Domi but it would take a serious overpay to get him because the Habs have no interest in trading him. He is exactly what we need and is still young.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Habs wouldn't do that at all. We don't need another shutdown D. We have Chiarot - a shutdown D - in the fold and Romanov around the corner. Habs need Domi, his grit and his upside.

I get why Minny would have interest in Domi but it would take a serious overpay to get him because the Habs have no interest in trading him. He is exactly what we need and is still young.

& Minnesota wild aren't using any of their pieces right Now to overpay. Wild aren't buying so it doesn't matter

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
RNH is not an option because EDM needs all the forward depth they can get. Trochek makes some sense, but is a 2C, who had one excellent season. I can see that trade making sense for both sides, though. Domi same. RyJo is a 1C, but is struggling, and overpaid. Still, they need a C more than they need a Dman.

The only #1C that would be available would be one with age, salary, character, consistency, or injury issues. I think that BG has zero urgency to trade either Dman. When the Seattle ED comes he will go 4+4, protecting both. I mean, who,would you rather lose, one of those two, or Greenway/ Kunin?
Brodin will be a UFA, so Guerin wouldn't need to protect him. Unless I am missing something.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

This is the same exact reasoning why Guerin would be in no rush to trade Dumba or Brodin.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What the Wild need are young pieces like Kotkaniemi / Suzuki. It is rare to obtain them in trade and more likely to draft them.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Exactly, so using that logic, there is no path to a Dumba/Brodin/Domi trade.

Makes zero sense.

Like I said before, I wasn't proposing that deal....only providing an example of the type of player that I would consider a #1C.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What the Wild need are young pieces like Kotkaniemi / Suzuki. It is rare to obtain them in trade and more likely to draft them.

The WIld do have a good young center prospect in Khovanov turning pro next year....although I would bet that he spends next season in the AHL.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wheeler intrigues me. We have the cap space. He is better than anything we have at the C position. Winnipeg is in the market for defensemen.

Kill it with fire. I am adamantly against acquiring a 33 year old winger on the first year of a 5 year, 8M per contract to play out of position.

Not a chance.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Wheeler actually makes some sense. Huge hit to Winnipeg's forwards, but they have some intriguing names in their pool which might be able to move into those spots. If Roslovic could take the next step, it would make this seem like a great idea. Freeing up that cap space will help with Laine's next deal, and with Buff leaving, there is some cap flexibility moving forward.

I personally wouldn't trade Wheeler for either, but I can see the logic there.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Agree to disagree on that : if MTL decides to keep him on the third line with Lekhonen, Weal or Cousins, it limits his production and he will be an overpaid 3rd line C, and he will lose value with time. So either MTL decides to play him 1/2C (which I agree they should, Suzuki is good in faceoffs but could be a playmaker on Domi's wing) or they trade him in my opinion.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Wheeler actually makes some sense. Huge hit to Winnipeg's forwards, but they have some intriguing names in their pool which might be able to move into those spots. If Roslovic could take the next step, it would make this seem like a great idea. Freeing up that cap space will help with Laine's next deal, and with Buff leaving, there is some cap flexibility moving forward.

I personally wouldn't trade Wheeler for either, but I can see the logic there.

I agree with AKL. Wheeler is too old, especially considering the Wild already have thirtysomethings like Parise, Zuccarello and Suter with their long term deals.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Agree to disagree on that : if MTL decides to keep him on the third line with Lekhonen, Weal or Cousins, it limits his production and he will be an overpaid 3rd line C, and he will lose value with time. So either MTL decides to play him 1/2C (which I agree they should, Suzuki is good in faceoffs but could be a playmaker on Domi's wing) or they trade him in my opinion.

Montreal have had numerous injuries that impacted the lines, coupled with the fact that the Tatar-Danault-Gally line stays in tact. With Drouin back, Domi will be re-unitied with him and either Lehkonen / Armia. Drouin only just got back so it will take time for him to get back into game shape. Expecting Domi to be a 3rd line C is short-sighted. The only reason he was in that situation was because of injuries to key players.

Drouin/Domi will rekindle their chemistry and hopefully Armia will be the missing link. Dealing Domi because of a down season (mostly due to Habs injuries) is short-sighted. He is a key piece to the Habs future. They need to sign him longterm and hopefully at a discount now that he had a down season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I mean, Brodin and Dumba probably doesn't get you a player along the lines of Max Domi either unless its a player with similar term and either the team has the ability to withstand the loss of center depth or its a guy that plays the wing but Minny feels that guy can play center (like when Montreal acquired Drouin and Domi). As much as teams love and need D-men, I still think centers rank ahead.

Surely there are centers that play in teams where there are stronger centers. I really like Trocheck.

You think Florida, who is trying to make the playoffs, and has Barkov, but also only Toninato and Boyle as their bottom 6 centers (and Borgstrom still figuring stuff out in the AHL) would move Trocheck? That seems...unlikely.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
This is the same exact reasoning why Guerin would be in no rush to trade Dumba or Brodin.

Brodin is UFA next year, so I believe there is some kind of rush for him. As mentioned, shutdown D men are always undervalued (would take Brodin over Ristolainen every day ;) ).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You think Florida, who is trying to make the playoffs, and has Barkov, but also only Toninato and Boyle as their bottom 6 centers (and Borgstrom still figuring stuff out in the AHL) would move Trocheck? That seems...unlikely.
It is, though we'd be able to send Staal back as a stop-gap 2C for this season and next. It'd require a plus coming back with Trocheck because Staal's still a hell of a player, but it's doable. Same goes for any other targets, really.

Still, it's unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad