Dreger: Dumba & Brodin asking price is No.1 Center

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Healthy dumba would get that imo. If he was a capable 50-60 pt dman again the ask would likely be Monahan from the flames.
Guy put up 50 points once time and next closest is 34. Where is this 50-60 point D I am hearing about?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
People put way too much stock in what Dreger says.

Going by what he and others (especially Russo) have been saying, we can be pretty positive that Guerin's been listening on everyone over the last few months. That's what he should be doing, under the circumstances. It also sounds like Dumba and Brodin have attracted a lot of attention from teams poking around to see what might shake free. Again that's what they should be doing, under the circumstances.

The fact that Guerin is probably asking for centers when other GMs ask about his two most valuable trade assets shouldn't surprise anyone. Especially when the two guys we're talking about are young, good-to-great at their positions, and have almost nothing pushing them out. Whether he's asking for "1C's" or whatever I think is more speculative.

Here's Guerin from yesterday:
“When there’s a definite need, wherever it is on any team, the other teams know what’s going on, too, and teams aren’t just giving up first- and second-line centers for free,” Guerin said. “They’re deals that are usually hard to make, but we’re going to do our best.

“We know where we stand right now and what we need to address, and we’ll keep working toward it. I’m not going to make trades just to try to make trades and fabricate something that’s not good enough. If a deal makes sense, then we’ll do it. If not, we’ll be patient and we’ll wait.”

The Wild need someone to play between Fiala and Kaprizov next year. I don't think we're talking a bonafide, proven 1C in their prime or bust here. Domi's someone that's come up in talk on here, as is Johansen, as is Trochek. Are any of those guys actually available for one of the Wild's defensemen? Maybe not. But while they're not what anyone on here probably thinks of when they see "1C" they're probably guys that Guerin would part with a defenseman for.

And Minnesota has some options in house. Staal's pretty good, but old. Eriksson-Ek's pretty good, but a bit of a mystery. Khovanov's pretty good, but hasn't turned pro yet.

Regardless, it doesn't sound like Guerin's busting down doors demanding centers. GMs are calling him and asking on these guys. What would you want your GM to say?

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Johansen, Turris, Duchene... take your pick. Turris and Fiala were pretty good together two years ago... he'd be a lot cheaper than one of those D.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Both of them together could land a #1C, depending on the situation. But either guy alone is not going to land that.

You just traded Zucker for a 1st and prospect. He's a 2nd line winger, on pace for 45-50 points and plays 16 minutes a game.

That is the exact price (1st and prospect) that got Jake Muzzin and Brandon Montour last year. Are Brodin and Dumba worth that much more than Muzzin and Montour were? They're all 21-22 minute guys getting 30 ish points. Not identical players, obviously, but comparable.

All things considered, I think each guy alone will land a forward closer to Zucker than a #1C.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
99% of the posters on this thread are missing the forest through the trees.

This is just another way of the Wild saying: "We're not looking to move either defenseman, but if you want one the cost will be steep." Chances are, no one will meet that price. Which is fine.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I didnt realize Brodin was still such a hot commodity. I remember a few years back there were alot of rumors with him being dealt for a top young forward but honestly since then, I really haven't heard much about him.

Didnt realize that it was possible he could still be swapped for a top line forward. Nothing against Brodin at all, but I gotta say it is quite mind boggling. But then again, Minnesota is a team I dont hear much about

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
And he is, admittedly, kind of an idiot. Guerin's comments today were basically along the same lines though, even if they weren't as explicit. He knows where the team's holes are and he knows what he's got to work with. It doesn't require one of the Insiderz to do the math on this one.

Obviously, but you know, it may stop spread 1000 and 1 Dumba trade threads where offers are ridiculous. If you call to inquire about Dumba or Brodin, make sure you have the pieces to pay for them.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They should just go for pure futures and tank.

Whatever C they get for either of them isnt going to be enough to lift them out of perennial no mans land.

Bottom out, draft high, acquire as many young assets as you can for a couple years and rebuild.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Whatever C they get for either of them isnt going to be enough to lift them out of perennial no mans land.

Bottom out, draft high, acquire as many young assets as you can for a couple years and rebuild.

The Wild don't need to bottom out. They have a solid defensive core and good wingers (which should be improved with Kaprizov coming over). They also have a solid group of prospects.

The strategy of "blowing up" a roster is no guarantee to get better. For every Pittsburgh or Chicago success story, you have an Edmonton, Buffalo and New Jersey.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I haven’t heard this take before. Thanks. This was insightful to read.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I haven’t heard this take before. Thanks. This was insightful to read.

What are you expecting to get for these guys? What centres have moved via trade in the last 5 years that are game changers? I cant think of any. Johansson and Duchene were both incredible disappointments. Maybe Zibinejad? Kadri? Schenn? Those guys are arguably 2C on Cup winners.

You're not getting a Barkov, Mackinnon or Matthews level guy. Those guys almost exclusively come through the draft.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
The Wild don't need to bottom out. They have a solid defensive core and good wingers (which should be improved with Kaprizov coming over). They also have a solid group of prospects.

The strategy of "blowing up" a roster is no guarantee to get better. For every Pittsburgh or Chicago success story, you have an Edmonton, Buffalo and New Jersey.
IMO they are a really good stacked team on the wings, I see them going pretty far in 4-5 years if they can finally get a 1C and 2C

They have Boldy, Kaprizov, Fiala, Greenway, Zucc and Galchenyuk and they stole Firstov and Khovanov, if Khovanov keep following is ridiculous devlpment curve I could see a crazy Russian line in:

Kaprizov/Khovanov/Firstov
Boldy /Kunin/Galchenyuk

But, this is all if Khovanov keep becoming a steal.
I can see they are trying to find a Russians fit and I can also see it working really well.

Now, give them Byfield + a young #1LD and they are contender in 4+ years

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What are you expecting to get for these guys? What centres have moves via trade in the last 5 years that are game changers? I cant think of any. Johansson and Duchene were both incredible disappointments. Maybe Zibinejad? Kadri? Schenn? Those guys are arguably 2C on Cup winners.

You're not getting a Barkov, Mackinnon or Matthews level guy. Those guys almost exclusively come through the draft.

O'Reilly.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What are you expecting to get for these guys? What centres have moves via trade in the last 5 years that are game changers? I cant think of any. Johansson and Duchene were both incredible disappointments. Maybe Zibinejad? Kadri? Schenn? Those guys are arguably 2C on Cup winners.

No shit. It’s almost like we’re not expecting to get one of those types of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad