Dreger: Dumba & Brodin asking price is No.1 Center

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Kotkaniemi is a non starter for Dumba.
Right now, he struggles a bit, but Kotkaniemi is still only 19 years old, and showed a great deal of potential.
1c or 2c, something that we will need in the future, with Suzuki and Danault.

Domi is the odd piece. He's better than Kotkaniemi right now (by far), but ultimatly, I see Kotkaniemi as being better down the line.
We have to keep him.

I'd do either Domi for Brodin or for Dumba, tho. I'd prefer Dumba, as it would make Petry expendable, even tho I think he's much better than Dumba right now.
That's fair and I get why you want to keep Kotkaniemi.

On the other hand, it would be just as idiotic for Minnesota to trade one of those defenseman for Domi (or someone like Trocheck). Like you say, Domi is an odd piece, and odd pieces should not be traded for key pieces. Kotkaniemi would be a key piece, as are Dumba and Brodin.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Well we all knew that it would have to take some GM who's out of his head to trade a #1C for one of these guys and many teams outside of that that have very good #1C potential prospects and don't want to part with them just got a slap in the face because of the Coleman trade. Zucker trade was slightly weighted to MN but it was a decent deal for both teams overall, but Coleman just set a market price that boosted all sellers.

We'll see what happens now. Still not going to be easy for GMBG to do it if some team comes calling, but thanks to the TBL the average ask just went up.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Neither player is worth a front line centre in my opinion. You can ask but you shall not receive.

It's hilarious how this thread is interpreted to read: "The Wild are shopping Brodin and Dumba and are asking for a #1C in return"......when that isn't the case at all.

A more accurate title would be: "The Wild are not shopping Brodin or Dumba, but if you did want one of them the cost would be large."

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That's fair and I get why you want to keep Kotkaniemi.

On the other hand, it would be just as idiotic for Minnesota to trade one of those defenseman for Domi (or someone like Trocheck). Like you say, Domi is an odd piece, and odd pieces should not be traded for key pieces. Kotkaniemi would be a key piece, as are Dumba and Brodin.

But I disagree with your point regarding Domi and KK, Domi has proven more at the NHL level and he has shown last year that he could be the central piece of an offensive line. To be clear, I get - because it is so hard to compare Forwards and D-men in my opinion - that you would not want to trade Dumba and Brodin (I am old school and really like the efficient shutdown kind of players) and I am not sure Domi would be a fit in MIN but not sure they will get offers for better Cs that's why I thought maybe the OP would make sense :)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's hilarious how this thread is interpreted to read: "The Wild are shopping Brodin and Dumba and are asking for a #1C in return"......when that isn't the case at all.

A more accurate title would be: "The Wild are not shopping Brodin or Dumba, but if you did want one of them the cost would be large."
Someone staple this to be the first post on every page.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Neither player is worth a front line centre in my opinion. You can ask but you shall not receive.
Of course Dumba or Brodin aren’t worth a young centre with number one ceiling. That’s not even debatable. I think the discussion here is a lot about that’s the price Geurin is expecting a team to pay if they want to get one of the two. So unless Geurin’s asking price becomes more in line with actual value, neither player gets traded.
IMO Dumba for a Drouin level centre is a fair value. Drouin has excellent offensive instincts, and a high potential ceiling, but struggles without the puck, and with compete.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Of course Dumba or Brodin aren’t worth a young centre with number one ceiling. That’s not even debatable. I think the discussion here is a lot about that’s the price Geurin is expecting a team to pay if they want to get one of the two. So unless Geurin’s asking price becomes more in line with actual value, neither player gets traded.
IMO Dumba for a Drouin level centre is a fair value. Drouin has excellent offensive instincts, and a high potential ceiling, but struggles without the puck, and with compete.

Drouin is bad at center and has attitude problems, not a player the wild need

Reactions: BlackBusa24

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

And the Wild would disagree with that assessment and say "No thank you".

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I
So would I. Straight up.
I messaged Russo about Domi for Brodin and he said from what he has been told Montreal would do that trade for Domi or Primeau but didnt think Wild would make that trade.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
From Habs perspective there is not enough term to want Brodin. he Wild need to see Domi as a 2C to have an interest for a Domi-Dumba swap, otherwise it makes no sense for them.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Definitely not. Necas is NOT available for the quality of defensemen you're offering.

From MN, I hope the 1st is only on the table as part of a package for Brodin, not Dumba.
Going by what's been said on here Carolina doesn't have the horses to pull either of them.

The only teams that seem all that interesting as suitors are Florida (Trocheck) and Montreal (Domi), and if Russo's info is right about Domi those two might not cut it either. Can't say I'm disappointed to hear that.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Is either player considered a top pairing D-man on any other team in the league? Asking seriously. I like Dumba, but can't say I'd trade a #1 C for him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Suter's relationship with BB, but now he is gone.
I should maybe clarify that Suter and Spurgeon are still absolutely the Wild's top pairing. Just that there are some nights when Brodin and Dumba are better and that, if the older guys were to suddenly regress, I'd have zero concerns about them picking up the slack. They're perfectly capable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad