Dreger: Dumba & Brodin asking price is No.1 Center

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Then what 1C are you targeting. Throw out some names.

I highly doubt we’re targeting anyone specifically considering the only reports that have come out of reputable sources are that Guerin is the one receiving calls on these guys- not shopping them- and that his response in general is that he’s going to use them to address our weaknesses.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I highly doubt we’re targeting anyone specifically considering the only reports that have come out of reputable sources are that Guerin is the one receiving calls on these guys- not shopping them- and that his response in general is that he’s going to use them to address our weaknesses.

What do you think is realistic? Throw out some names.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Thats fair.

We obviously don't think that Brodin or Dumba is going to get MacKinnon or Barkov or Eichel, which is where everybody's head goes when they hear "number 1 center". We need a guy (or two) that'll be able to keep up if Fiala, Kaprizov and Boldy are the players that we hope they are. Could Brodin get Trochek? Maybe. Could one of them get Necas? Carolina fans are pretty adamant against it, but fans don't make decisions. It'll be more along the lines of that level, even though they might be 2C's on Cup contenders, it's still an upgrade on what we're looking at moving forward (unless Khovanov turns out to be a player).

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We obviously don't think that Brodin or Dumba is going to get MacKinnon or Barkov or Eichel, which is where everybody's head goes when they hear "number 1 center". We need a guy (or two) that'll be able to keep up if Fiala, Kaprizov and Boldy are the players that we hope they are. Could Brodin get Trochek? Maybe. Could one of them get Necas? Carolina fans are pretty adamant against it, but fans don't make decisions. It'll be more along the lines of that level, even though they might be 2C's on Cup contenders, it's still an upgrade on what we're looking at moving forward (unless Khovanov turns out to be a player).

Thank-you for an actual answer.

My question is does subtracting Dumba amd adding Necas (as examples only) really move the needle and make the Wild any better overall?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What do you think is realistic? Throw out some names.

As far as guys in the NHL:

Domi
Schmaltz
Necas

If you start getting into non-NHL higher-end prospects:

Frost
Borgstrom

These aren't guys that I would expect their GMs to be doing backflips over trading. But if those teams came calling, I would hope that our guys wouldn't be going anywhere unless they were involved.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Necas isn't a Center and doesn't even project to be one IMO. He has taken 30 faceoffs this year and lost 25 of them (17%). He played primarily winger in the AHL as well. His AHL team tried to move him to C but his offense fell off when they did. Necas is light on his skates and gets taken off the puck fairly easily. And he doesn't have the defensive awareness of Aho who can snatch pucks away in tight spaces.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Thank-you for an actual answer.

My question is does subtracting Dumba amd adding Necas (as examples only) really move the needle and make the Wild any better overall?

Depends on if guys like Addison or Menell (probably our two best RHD offensive defensemen prospects) are real players. Necas filling a big hole in our top 6 center situation, and most of Dumba's production being replaced internally absolutely would make us better.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
RNH is not an option because EDM needs all the forward depth they can get. Trochek makes some sense, but is a 2C, who had one excellent season. I can see that trade making sense for both sides, though. Domi same. RyJo is a 1C, but is struggling, and overpaid. Still, they need a C more than they need a Dman.

The only #1C that would be available would be one with age, salary, character, consistency, or injury issues. I think that BG has zero urgency to trade either Dman. When the Seattle ED comes he will go 4+4, protecting both. I mean, who,would you rather lose, one of those two, or Greenway/ Kunin?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What are you expecting to get for these guys? What centres have moved via trade in the last 5 years that are game changers? I cant think of any. Johansson and Duchene were both incredible disappointments. Maybe Zibinejad? Kadri? Schenn? Those guys are arguably 2C on Cup winners.

You're not getting a Barkov, Mackinnon or Matthews level guy. Those guys almost exclusively come through the draft.

We're not expecting them to be traded.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Necas isn't a Center and doesn't even project to be one IMO. He has taken 30 faceoffs this year and lost 25 of them (17%). He played primarily winger in the AHL as well. His AHL team tried to move him to C but his offense fell off when they did. Necas is light on his skates and gets taken off the puck fairly easily. And he doesn't have the defensive awareness of Aho who can snatch pucks away in tight spaces.

Plenty of Carolina fans here have him penciled in behind Aho, which is why they are so hesitant to trade him. That's what I'm going off of.

He wouldn't be the first player to play wing initially to break into the NHL and move to the middle when he's fully caught up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
BG might laugh at Nico for both, but it would be a hesitant, thoughtful laugh.

He might counteroffer with Brodin + Addison, or Dumba + Soucy(who is WAY better than most know...He is a legit 2nd pairing guy with size, defensive ability, and some skill...all at a miniscule cap hit. Think Brandon Carlo stylistically).

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Toronto fans need to stop with this offers! What many are failing to realize wild don't need to trade Dumba or brodin, they can wait.

Wild aren't trading both Dumba & brodin! Some here have no idea how good brodin is .

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Toronto fans need to stop with this offers! What many are failing to realize wild don't need to trade Dumba or brodin, they can wait.

Wild aren't trading both Dumba & brodin! Some here have no idea how good brodin is .

Never say never. I think it's very unlikely that either of them would be moved at the TDL. If they were to be moved, more likely it would be the off-season. But only if the offer is too good to pass up.

I'm also not sure how the expansion draft may play into Guerin's thinking

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Never say never. I think it's very unlikely that either of them would be moved at the TDL. If they were to be moved, more likely it would be the off-season. But only if the offer is too good to pass up.

I'm also not sure how the expansion draft may play into Guerin's thinking

I guess what I am saying, will be one or the other, not both. Guerin knows he can't lose a trade with this & can afford to wait

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Here is the reality:

Kapanen doesn't get you Dumba / Brodin

Dumba / Brodin doesn't get you a #1C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad